My Scratch Built Project

Thanks again Gents....just trying to work on it whenever I can.
I do Have an account with Columbia River but they dont have the wide radius bends, I tried rolling them at the shop and just cant get the tube to go tight enough without kinking, I also have a bender, but it wont do thinwall so I will have to keep looking.
The only place I could find the 4.5" radius was Burns, and those were the $48 pipes.
I used to have a good relationship with Stahl headers in York PA but they called it quits a couple of months ago, and they used to sell what they called a "box of mistakes"...plenty in there to do more than a set of headers.
I just shipped a 6 month project that was really gobbling up a lot of shop space and we are re-arranging things around now so I anticipate some good progress in the coming weeks.
Thanks again to all you guys for the kind words and encouragement...I really enjoy the engineering/building part, and I try to do a little each day and if I have time make some leaps on a Saturday.
Cheers
Phil

Well its posting time again..its nice to be busy but it gets in the way of my projects!
Finished up most of the exhaust and I just need to expand the end of the tubes into the collectors for a better fit.
I have two megaphones made and soon I will cut the end of the collectors and install the V-Band clamp assembly to mount the megaphones and give me the flexibility of swapping out to mufflers if need be.
Meanwhile here are some photos of the exhaust mounted without the megs.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• 11-5-14 001.jpg
    11-5-14 001.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 323
  • 11-5-14 002.jpg
    11-5-14 002.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 266
  • 11-5-14 003.jpg
    11-5-14 003.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 11-5-14 006.jpg
    11-5-14 006.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 11-5-14 009.jpg
    11-5-14 009.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 11-5-14 012.jpg
    11-5-14 012.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 294
Nice job Phil, Well done. How much room do you have from the end of the collector to the rear of the car? I am at that stage and trying to fit in some decent size mufflers with out it turning ugly.
Cheers
Woody

Thanks Mark and Woody....I made some some small mistakes but for now I need to fire it up and deal with that later'
As far as room...I need to cut those collectors down at the merge point to fit my megaphones but I rightly don't know how much space is available....but tomorrow morning I will stretch a tape from the collectors to where the body work goes and give you a decent idea...
I can say that going from memory I believe the megs or mufflers run approx 27" back from the centerline of the axles and there is a height spec also but thats the closest I can remember until I get to the shop and measure...
Cheers
Phil

Woody,
I use the Magnaflow mufflers that are a straight thru muffler. They are about the shortest you will find and I don't think they quieten it down a whole lot. They are only 14" long(body).
P1010145.jpg

The rest of my measurements probably are different than yours, but the flanges that join the mufflers to the merge pipes are only 6" behind the cross brace(mine is a DRB), and from my cross brace to the tip of the tail pipe is 29 1/2", and it barely clears my tag when opening. Numbers to think about anyways.
PB060611_zps2c7387e9.jpg

Bill

Thanks Dave...Looks like we may be finishing up close together.
Woody....Bill's and my measurements reflect the differences in chassis, gearbox type, gearbox/engine height, and whatever muffler you are using so maybe it would be easier to just fit the bodywork temporarily and make a template...probably the safest way to go.
Bill...Very nice setup..I always liked the 930 box..
Cheers
Phil

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice work on the bundle of snakes Phil...

Rather curious water piping there at the front of the engine.. I take it that this was the only visble way to traverse to the other side.. Maybe need (or have and I didn't see it) an air bleed valve at the top?

Thanks Randy....You are very observant... Yeah there's a bleeder at the top...I always weld in bungs even if I don't need them, it is so much easier to remove a plug and bleed from the high spots when it is already there...sure beats the alternative.
I also have 2 bleeders at the top of the radiator and the water piping is the last thing to do so we are looking at startup soon.
That is not a new motor...has about 600 miles so no need to break in a new cam but I may finish the megaphones before I pop it over...looking forward to a test drive around the complex here to wake up my neighbors..lol
Cheers
Phil

Back