Need help to import

Hi guys, I need help to import parts from West Sussex Great Brittan to Sydney Australia. I'm building a Lexus IS200 track car and I'm importing suspension part from a BTCC lexus which would be loaded on a crate. I'm finding it hard to find a shipping company to do it at a reasonable price. Time is of no issue but my budget is 500 brittish pounds for the shipment. I guestimate the freight would weigh about 100kg. If anyone has recomendations or could provide the service, it would be much appreciated.
trhanks
Bob

Hi Bob,

Just as a matter of interest what part is it?

I ran two Lexus BTCC cars in 2006/2007 and we did a load of re-design work on the front and rear suspension which made a massive difference on the track. I always wondered what became of the cars.

Rally Design regularly ship large amounts of parts to Oz between myself and them we might be able to help.

D.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Have you got the box dimensions?
I may be able to do something that would have them with you before Xmas

Cheers
Ian

Thanks Frank for the heads up, I'll give them a call.
Hi D, what I'm getting is the wide body lexus suspension from a BTCC from touring car spares. Everything including the fron and rear cross members, upper and lower arms both front and rear, roll centre corrected hubs, sway bars, quantem shocks with springs, all rose jointed including all trailing arms and lots of spares.

Hi Ian, the box dimensions I'm not sure about, but since the front and rear cross members are included iut woud be large. It will all be packaged on a crate and have been told the wheight would be approx 100kg. My guess would be 2m x 1m x 1mhigh but I'm waiting on a reply with the exact measurements.

Thanks to all who have responded.
Bob

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bummer
That dimension will put it on somewhere near 400kg volumetric weight

Could still be possible but damn close to the £500 mark. (At the 100kg I think I could have got down to about £150 ish

Moving air inside any box / crate is the most expensive comodity in the world! We know wen end up importing a load of Chinese Air

Ian

Bob, I have sent many parts south of the equator, here are a few things the shipper must do. A custom made timber crate needs to fit the parts as tight as possible, every square inch of wasted space costs a lot of money. Custom made timber crates must be treated and certified against infestation before shipping, otherwise will not be allowed past customs on arrival and may be destroyed, we have a local company who do this for us. Several copies of the manifest and invoices must be attached to the crate in an openable pocket bag for inspection. Screw the box together ( NOT NAILS ) as sometimes customs will want to inspect contents, and they are not too carefull on how they go about opening a sealed crate if its not obviously allowed for. Good luck, Frank

I have never given it much thought of what goes into shipping and what wasted air is worth, I guess that why IKEA is doing well as there is no wasted space when all their products are designed aand packaged into flat packs to reduce wasted space.

I have the boys at touring car spares giving me a quote for the shipment and I'm also chasing the leads which were provided.

My transmission from the UK was around 100kg crated, and cost just under AU$500 air freight, door to door. It was collected on the Friday in Stoke on Trent, and delivered to me on the following Monday in Perth - around lunch!

That was DHL, but we have an account with them. A random quote (no account mentioned) from DHL was more like AU$1500 for the same service. Find someone in sydney who uses DHL already, and make friends with them!

Back