New 917 manufacturer?

Hey guys,

I recently found this new 917 replica while surfing around the net. I have never heard anything about this company and their website looks very amatureish. There's really not much info on their site, it doesn't even say where their from or really, even a company name. But I think the area code on the phone number is Canadian.

Anyone know anything about this?
My Business - Home

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Interesting... The website is spartan, but then that's no true indication as to the quality of the cars...

$100k for a roller, um pass, lol

errr, I mean, that's a bargain! I think Fran should lower his prices for his 917 so he can compete w/ the competition :D

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just looked at a 917 book I have, and that chassis looks very very close to the original. I wonder why there is not talk of what motor the recommend.

100 large seems pretty reasonable for what your getting. There's a lot of work in that chassis.. I think the Bailey Edwards car goes for about the same in their home country; more here I believe.

It says that the car pictured took 4 years to complete. I hope that's not their standard lead time.

The phone number goes to Ontario, Canada. Possibly near Orangeville. Alex, is that near you? Maybe you can go pay them a visit and get the scoop on the car.

It looks like the car sports the '71 short tail design.

100 large seems pretty reasonable for what your getting. There's a lot of work in that chassis.. I think the Bailey Edwards car goes for about the same in their home country; more here I believe.

It says that the car pictured took 4 years to complete. I hope that's not their standard lead time.

The phone number goes to Ontario, Canada. Possibly near Orangeville. Alex, is that near you? Maybe you can go pay them a visit and get the scoop on the car.

It looks like the car sports the '71 short tail design.

Nowhere near me :D

Scratch it as a road car. No DOT windshield "lexan". 100 big aint chicken feed even though it looks prety good. Not much info on susp. parts interior finish etc. A lot to be desired in a site geared to get you to cut loose with that kind of money.
Mike S

So lemme think about this....you've got to pay the guy cash progress payments up front....for four years....hoping he'll actually finish the car....and deliver it to you. All of that before you ever have anything in your own hands. Hhhhhmmmmm. Pass. The foolish are easily separated from their money.

Go see Fran.

I was assuming 100k would get you something to the level of the Bailey Edwards 917. But of course, I don't think anyone in the right mind would send this guy 100 grand when he doesn't even post an address. I think its your do diligence to fully investigate the company before sending a dime.

Cliff, it doesn't say anything about payment plans or lead times. It just says the car pictured, the first one, took 4 years for him to build. Who knows whats happened since then. Maybe he's assembled a crack team a fabricators since then... no one knows.

I don't know how many people I have met who are great fabricators, designers and what-not that absolutely don't understand marketing or the internet. I'm not so quick to judge something of this nature based of a shitty website; especially since there is a very skilled older generation who are still quite active.

Lets not forget that even Fran had a pretty humble website just a few years ago.

the phone # is a Southern Ontario # down toward London Ontario. 519 area code goes all the way to Windsor or Sarnia. Its the whole southern Ontario region.

From my understanding, the McLaren F1 only shares the BMW architecture for their v12. Mclaren even made their own block for the F1...

In the stock configuration, the M70 (the bmw v12 in question) made about 300hp.

Furthermore, there is no aftermarket for these engines so there isn't any high performance cams and heads available. The ports on the stock engines look to be the size of coffee stirrers.

I did find a tuner for these engines, but it looks like everything is custom. These prices are insane..
http://www.racingpowerplant.com/bmw_m70.htm

Last edited:
I was assuming 100k would get you something to the level of the Bailey Edwards 917. But of course, I don't think anyone in the right mind would send this guy 100 grand when he doesn't even post an address. I think its your do diligence to fully investigate the company before sending a dime.

Cliff, it doesn't say anything about payment plans or lead times. It just says the car pictured, the first one, took 4 years for him to build. Who knows whats happened since then. Maybe he's assembled a crack team a fabricators since then... no one knows.

I don't know how many people I have met who are great fabricators, designers and what-not that absolutely don't understand marketing or the internet. I'm not so quick to judge something of this nature based of a shitty website; especially since there is a very skilled older generation who are still quite active.

Lets not forget that even Fran had a pretty humble website just a few years ago.

John, you're absolutely right. My experience has been that those same people can be, and frequently are, horrible business people. This typically leaves the customer hanging with nothing to show for their money, after a very long wait. The kit/replica car industry history is full of such stories.

If the guy had assembled a real business, a team, and appropriate facilities, then he would be showing it on the website. It's just that simple. After all, he uploaded some pictures and information. It doesn't look like he has more than a two car garage, some tools, and some good skills of his own.

I'm sure he's a good guy, with good intentions. But anyone with an ounce of prudence isn't going to give money to a guy who hasn't established credibility in the marketplace.

I have no problem spending $100K on a car.....one nanosecond after I've hitched it up behind my suburban on a trailer that is.

Last edited:
I actually think it looks very good, screen isn`t a problem as long as the lexan one is the same shape and size as the original one (these are available E marked for a fee!!)
Fran mania strikes again.................!!:laugh:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Its good to see that the 917 is gaining popularity in the kit market...its good for the industry in general...even you Mr.Noo..:thumbsup:.. I didn't see any Fran mania stuff going on......:drunk:

Last edited:
Back