New batch of Quaife ZF replacement gearboxes

Guys--I know NOTHING; I just received this press release from a friend:

QBE62G 5-speed H-pattern synchromesh gearbox for GT40 and deTomaso Pantera

Our latest batch of transaxle sequential gearboxes has been built and are available off-the-shelf today. The new batch of QBE62G gearboxes, designed as a direct replacement for the ZF original transmission can be fitted to many mid-engined supercars including our very own GT40. Our newest batch comes with the very latest upgrades including a billet end cover, forged shaft retaining bolt and repositioned high performance pinion bearing enabling it to work comforatbly behind the larger V8 engines. We have manufactured and built over 100 of these high performance transmissions for GT40 and Pantera owners as well as some custom mid-engined road and track cars. The modern synchromesh internals give a smooth ride on the road whilst offering a fast and precise gear change on the track. Please click the title link above or here for more info.

ZF Transaxle 5-Speed H-Pattern Gearbox

So, sequential with an H pattern, not sure how you get that! At least they appear to have shifted the pinion bearing location. I wish they would use torque figures @ RPM rather than HP for promoting strength capability.. 500HP @ 8000RPM from a ~302 cu in screamer is vastly different from a 427 stroker making 500HP @ ~6000RPM.

As I understand it, there are two Quaife boxes to be available, firstly the upgraded ZFQ that we all know and love - 5 speed H, and a new 6 speed sequential box to be available in the new year. Ask Quaife

Mike Pass

Supporter
As Mike Quaife now owns Martin Gough's Linden Green Southern GT he now has a very nice mobile test rig available!
Cheers
Mike
Klaatu barada nikto

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
So, sequential with an H pattern, not sure how you get that!

Both the original ZF and the Quaife boxes are called "sequential" as the shift mechanism is not designed to allow skipping gears i.e. you don't skip third on the way to fourth, etc.Not as in forward to go up and back to go down sequential.

It can be done but can result in issues like two ratios being engaged at the same time! Some original GT40s had a plaque telling you to not do so..........

Both the original ZF and the Quaife boxes are called "sequential" as the shift mechanism is not designed to allow skipping gears i.e. you don't skip third on the way to fourth, etc.Not as in forward to go up and back to go down sequential.

It can be done but can result in issues like two ratios being engaged at the same time! Some original GT40s had a plaque telling you to not do so..........

>>>The original "Dash-zero" GT40 gearbox had a physical mechanism in the shifter portion of the gearbox (not by the shift lever) that physically blocked you from going to any gear other than one above, or one below the current gear. Thus you were forced to shift 1-2-3-4-5 and 5-4-3-2-1. You could always shift up and down, i.e. 2-3-4-3-4-3-2. But you couldn't skip gears, i.e. 1-3-5. Lloyd Butfoy once showed me one in his shop and tried to explain to me how it worked. It sort of blew my mind as it was very Rube Goldberg-esque.

He told me that mechanism was fragile and under-engineered and prone to failure which is why they did away with it on the later Dash-1 and (most prevalent) Dash-2 versions, as used in the Mangusta and Pantera. Those allow you to shift from any gear, to any gear, at will.

I don't know anything about the Quaife architecture. Is it set up like the original GT40 gearboxes to prevent you from skipping gears? Sounds like maybe it is?

My thoughts also, but giving credence to Ricks post it sounds like they have modded the shifter forks or the gate selector so that shifts across the 'gate' are eased for the 2 to 3, 3 to 2, 4 to 5, 5 to 4 shifts.

Big variation in the distance the 'dog engagement sleeve' moves on various trans, Jerico only moves ~0.250", had a pfitzner in bits the other day and it moves ~ around 0.500", so the shift mechanism & detent system is critical on Jerico to prevent hanging up in two gears.

Back