new build a Porsche LMP

Great project,i'll follow your progress.I've always loved the LMP cars and wold love to have one for the street.Sounds like you have a good plan using the Subie powertrain.Good luck on the build.
Bill

Paolo, yes it would as the WSC was virtualy the same car with out a roof, the only problem with the full coupe body would be gettin a screen to fit, and finding some moulds would probaly be a bother as well, would be nice though i must admitt.
cheers John

Thanks dude, that might be be what Fran wants to talk to me about, Mmmm very interesting, and now there is a sister car going to be built in California, might be a viable propersition, will wait paitantly for phone call.
cheers John

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Sorry chaps ...busy getting ready to leave for Carlisle.

My numbers are on the website....we will have min.9 hours driving tomorrow so you will have a captive audience.

No progress as such to report, but have some good news, for me anyway.
just had a quick visit from a tech officer from MSNZ, our governing body, re homolagating my roll over protection, and he gave it the ok. all i have to do is fill out all the forms, part with the manatory beer tokens and were all set.
thats one headache off my mind.
cheers John

picked up my front brakes over the weekend and fitted the calipers , Mk 4 RX7 Mazda, only to find that they foul on the wheel , will need to get some 10mm spacers made up, they only just catch on a small casting protrusion , so being the wise one i thought i'd grind it off , WRONG move, as now i have a 3mm hole in the side of the caliper to repair, bugger,

also finaly committed myself to an engine , i have chosen to stay with Subaru but have gone for an Eg 3.3cc 6 cyl out of a 95 SVX, for a number of reasons,
light weight, only 140kg complete fully dressed
250hp, in N/A stock form, huge torque
is basicly a 2.2ltre, 4cyl engine with 2 extra cyls added on, so turbo pistons etc a cheap and viable option,
try 400hp at wheels with 10lb boost on stock internals,
will mate up to existing trans
and the best part Damn cheap
pic is of actual engine i have bought
let the games begin.
cheers John

Attachments

• eg33.jpg
    eg33.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 530
well i have made a little bit of progress, the chassis has been stripped cleaned and painted , a loverly shade of light Black, not a job i reccomened doing at home in the shed, wound up with a headache that would kill a horse and a Buzz keith richards would die for. but a least its finaly done.
extracted the didget and got my head down this weekend and have managed to install all the cockpit alloy panels bar the floor, will roll it over tomorrow and get it set up, and will order some sheet and try and get that done asap.
once the floor is on it can be rolled back right side up and assy can begin in ernest.
still no sign of damn camera but a freind is popping around tomorrow with his cam so ill take some pics then and post them for critique.
cheers John

First and formost a very big thank you to Fran for the phone call this morning, and the absolutly fantasic offer that he put to me regarding a body, mate you could have bowled me with a feather, look fowared to seeing some more pics.
talking of pics hers a couple of low res shots i just took with a mates el cheapy camera, but at least you get the idea.
the reason i put the panels on the inside was two fold,1/ easier to add a bit of comfort, padding etc, and 2/ there is a few to many appendages hanging off the outside of the chassis that would have made fitting panels a bloody nitemare. will hopefully order the sheet for the floor this week , then once thats on i can start reasembly. what do the masses think
cheers John

Attachments

• P1240001.JPG
    P1240001.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 575
  • P1240002.JPG
    P1240002.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 478
  • P1240003.JPG
    P1240003.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 429
Fran , my thoughts were a 2mm alloy floor panel under the cockpit and a 6mm ply complete bottom plate that can be sacraficial, your thoughts? i meant to ask you while we were chatting but we got carried away with Peter Noon etc lol.
cheers John

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
How about strategic hardwood rub rails instead of a complete floorpan...easier to change out smaller parts than a full sheet.
I still recommend honeycomb too..

You are welcome mate...

I highly recommend a honeycomb floor.....aluminum or composite...

Fran, Why is that then? Was planning 2.5mm 5 series alloy floor for my road car (I would plan to use 6 series if I could find the right size sheet).

John, Looking excellent mate.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
increased strength for minimal weight penalty but your car may not need any extra strength...only you can know that.....right??

only you can know that.....right??

True, I don't think I need it from a engineering point of view, but you've got about 10,000% more experience at this than me. So I just don't want to miss a reason I've not thought of before now.

The hardwood rail idea is great BTW I'd been thinking about how to avoid damage from grounding out.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I have been working with some honeycomb lately and its awesome stuff.....

Its use would allow you to have less metal in the chassis for the same given strength..
It was just an idea but having seen your contortionist welding technique you have the next Eiffel tower project licked.....How much did the chiropractor cost to straighten out your back??

Back