New ford 7.3?

I really want to build a gt40 kit car, and are currently planning to sell my collections of cars to fund it. As I was writing down my build list, I found out that the new ford 7.3l truck motor are available as a crate motor. It uses the coyote bell housing, and forged crank with beefy rod & pistons. People had been slapping them into mustangs since they are around the size of a 351w and makes 430hp stock. Got all the bells & whistles like VVT and piston oil jets. The motor, with head, intake and exhaust manifold cost 8150 usd on ford performance. Does this sounds like a good bargain compared to a built 302/351/fe?

I'd be thinking more about the practicalities of getting this monster into a GT40 chassis rather than the cost of the engine ! Plus I can't see the advantage of this engine over the traditional choices. It's a push rod truck motor, surely a Coyote makes more sense if you want a modern engine & a Coyote GT40 has been done before, so the parts and knowledge are available.

If it can be dressed up to 'look' like the 351w, why not, continued problem of a transaxle that 'looks' right to live behind it will be the real problem.

I'd be thinking more about the practicalities of getting this monster into a GT40 chassis rather than the cost of the engine ! Plus I can't see the advantage of this engine over the traditional choices. It's a push rod truck motor, surely a Coyote makes more sense if you want a modern engine & a Coyote GT40 has been done before, so the parts and knowledge are available.
If it can be dressed up to 'look' like the 351w, why not, continued problem of a transaxle that 'looks' right to live behind it will be the real problem.
My desired hp is around 400-450 on the crank. As for tranny, I think I will just go for the used Audi 01E fwd box. Really wants to keep the whole powertrain in 10k range. I think a nice new mustang coyote will be over my budget... And the lack of assurance that of buying a used motor just worries me.

If the engine is going to cost you over $8000 that only leaves $2000 for the transmission and adapter. I think your budget is a little short.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Turn the equation. 8K on the transaxle and 2K on the motor. Really.............. you can do a standard g50 and a 300hp motor for that if you do the work.

Back