New GT40 build - GT40 Forte'

The large "v" on the sills are advised to flip to the opposite direction for impact precautions. Since you have not welded them in yet, you may want to flip them. I have not gotten there yet, as mine are fully welded in with the middle brace as you have. I will likely cut them out and re-weld when I get farther with my revisions.

I have not done enough research on that section to know if it is really required, but iI can see the danger if the car is T- Boned.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
If you get T-boned, I doubt that the sill will get hit as these cars are very low to the ground. I’m more worried about the lack of protection in the doors as thats where the bumper of any other ‘family’ car will hit unless its a SUV that hit it wil just drive over you instead of crashing into your low sill...

Agreed. It was relayed to me that the brace in the sill or side pod, however you refer to it, should be flipped as the direction of the "v" would increase the possibility of of a penetration to the drivers tub. I imagine that seeing the front of a SUV trying parking on top of your head may more frightening.

Just passing the 2 cents about the sill brace as it was given to me from other Forte builders. Not to steal the thread, but anti intrusion bars would be a good addition, but I don't have any good examples to share with you. Don, try the Forte builders, the may be able to help with more info the chassis and any changes you my want to iron out before sealing it up.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
0838CF88-B6D1-4099-9672-8792C3CD8C20.jpeg

Hi, does this help in your sill quest?

morten

Bryan Koehler

Supporter
Heck yeah i havent welded that in on mine. I will follow suit. Also morten mentioned to me that the 351 may be too tall for the rear clam to close propperly. Since i wanted to run a 351 i bought a porshe 9600 box and was going to revise my motor mounts. Any one know if that would help shoe horn in the 351???

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Its about the height. It will fit. If you can get the bottom of the block close to 9in measured to the floor you’ll have space underneath the rear clam

Back