New gt40 orders

Rick, whats the going rate of a roller these days? I ask, not because I am in a position to buy one, but just interested and enjoy dreaming of getting back in a SPF... right hand drive and wide rear please.

sorry but the whole car hobby is dying if not all ready dead. We that love car. i.e 50 years old and older don't want at admit it.The idea of investment cars is not happening in 10 yr. or so. So enjoy your car! Drive fast and have fun!
I can remember when model T's were valuable! All things have a life cycle and the car thing is about out of gas!
Look at this group we all are the same ...Pantera's Lightning PU's and GT40"'s at 50 year old+

Well, I think we should take a poll on how many people are still active in their build.

I for one have been very active; however, I have such limited time that I choose to work on the car instead of working on the computer. I have documented every step and I will start posting when I get the car finished, just like Clayton did. I do have some interesting things to post that might help other builders.

I have actually driven the car and taken it to a Concours and to a car show. I still have a lot of little things to tidy up before I'm finished; however, I don't think it will ever be "finished", I can always find something else to do.

So let's have all builders that are still working, at least chime in even if you don't give a detailed update. That might reverse the direction this thread is going.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

Attachments

• GT40 at car show.jpg
    GT40 at car show.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 295

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
I like you Bob continue to work on my car but have started taking it to car shows and driving it more. There will always be more things I want to do on the car to make it better. Had a great time last weekend in your area with the car at the Shelby car show in Plano.

Don

Attachments

• Frontend.JPG
    Frontend.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 366

Ed McClements

Supporter
I'm building SGT #48; currently working on gear lever & linkage, fabricating pedal box and still panelling. Will update my build thread when there's something worthwhile to show.

My Tornado is all road worthy and been driving about . Still got to get the stipe put on .. Should be week after next …. and doing little bits

I drive my DRB every week or two weather permitting. Sometimes a few days in a row. Hit several cruise-ins or other events each summer. Going to one tomorrow in fact.
Every drive has me thinking of next things to tweak or upgrade.

Yes, I agree on the new car attraction, and I do have plans to go that route in ADDITION to driving the 40(and my 67 Mustang). I sill get much satisfaction driving something I built. No trailer queens in my shop.

I am (re)building a KVA with mk2 body and SGT components at the moment but I consciously keep it out of publicity.

Car hobby aint over, its booming. Most like to buy finished products these days. Look at all the big classic cars shows in Europe. Still atracting new classic owners to show their newly beloved.

I can only say I am a hoarder..... I can not sell my finished products..... so I just rented some extra storage space... to just park them, love them and take them for a ride whenever I want to wheater or no wheater.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
50 years back the average car had a 1000 to 2000 mile service interval.
People learned how to change the oil, set the points, clean and set plugs, tension the fan belt and check water levels.

Take the modern eurobox any number of which you can purchase for a few thousand pounds, the service interval will be between 12000 and 25000 miles.

So who needs to open the bonnet? And if you do can you actually check anything as it is all electronic.

Net effect modern kids have no desire to get their hand dirty as they have no knowledge what to do.

Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Net effect modern kids have no desire to get their hand dirty as they have no knowledge what to do.

Ian

Unfortunately this is so very true - here in the USA and I’m sure in the UK as well...
Another thing that plays into that - at least from an American perspective - is the schools here have all but abolished any Trades classes. We are teaching our young to be consumers only. Forget that they should ever learn which end of a screwdriver to hold onto let alone to know which direction to turn it...

I think that exploring the education systems in our countries would be a really good topic here in the Paddock!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
So who needs to open the bonnet? And if you do can you actually check anything as it is all electronic.

Ian

THAT drove me nuts regarding the Mrs' BMW Turbo coupe - 'NO DIPSTICK. I want to be able to see the oil level as well as see what the oil actually looks like (cleanliness) w/o having to loosen the drain plug on the oil pan, for Pete's sake. 'No excuse for that sorta thing. :annoyed:

(I made darned sure her present D.D. had one before we bought it!...and if, as things look now, she ends up with a "Mission e" in 2020, that sort of thing will obviously not be an issue...)

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
I am turning 46 at the end of the year and I can tell you when I was 26 there seem to be a lot more old cars driving up and down the streets. I think what is happening is the old-timers are getting older and selling off their cars two guys that just want them to sit and garages and collect them. I for one bought a used GT40 CAV recently and I will have all of 135 to 140,000 stuck into it. I can tell you I didn't want to one because I didn't want to wait six months to a year. I wanted one now and I am just changing the drivetrain to what I want and I will drive it every chance I get. I think the GT40 car is a timeless classic just like the cobra. 30 years from now the cars will still look like they belong. I can't wait to drive mine. He's young and throwing up now better in their 20s are all about supercars. I for one love the Raw elements that these cars have. These cars are for people that can't afford them and want them just for what they are. Sure we can bye brand new Corvette ZR1 or equivalent new supercar for about the same amount of money but it just won't make have that same feeling when you drive it. Pure and utter happiness with a growl.

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry for the typos but I'm using voice typing. A perfect example of how modern technology is not always better.

just starting up the computer so that i can do some cad work on my build, quick skim of this site before switching of the network connection to keep the focus.

keep well all, build on !!!!

Ryan

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Like others out there I am progressing on my build but I have not been posting since I have been very busy lately. I will resume posting about my build next weekend.

I believe that the interest for the GT40 and Cobra is still strong but there are fewer people who have the skills to undertake the task of building a GT40. The manufactures need to make the "kits" more complete with all parts required included or at least a list of parts and vendors for them. I know that some of the manufactures already do this and I have taken advantage of this and purchased some parts from them. Manufactures also need to make the body as perfect as possible so that very little work is required to fit and paint the body. I don't care if a body has a crease in the roof or not since I am building a replica to enjoy, I am not trying to pass it off as an original. I would have gladly paid 2k or more for my body to save myself hours of labor just to get it to fit and look look right. Builders can get disappointed and walk away from their build if they think that it is becoming too much work to complete.

Like others I have additional cars that I enjoy but NONE of the cars I have ever had can compare to the enjoyment that I got from driving my GTD GT40 that I built. That is the only car that I have ever owned that I regret selling. I am building my RCR GT40 to perform even better than my GTD so I know that I will be grinning ear to ear when I am behind the wheel pressing the go fast pedal. One more thing, built correctly these cars are just as reliable as any new car. I did very little maintenance on my GTD and I drag raced, auto-crossed and did many high performance track events with it without any failures at the track (I did break half shafts and CV joints in the early months but I corrected them and never had a failure afterwards, I also forgot to put oil in the engine at Michigan International Speedway, my bad).

Rick

Well, there is a saying in Germany: Totgesagte leben laenger. Means with other words: If they try to talk them dead - they live longer.

I have two Cobras to finish, then I will grab a GT40 again.

The request for cars, the participation on the social media, car shows and the general interest tells me they hype, which restated in 2010-2012, is far from over.

Now with a president in charge who is not focused to get older cars of the road (at all) the States are with him. So no new regulations in the near future.
(exception: California)

Here is a hint: When Fran announces only 2 month wait period for a kit --- then the interest is slowing down.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am really working on both cars right now. My SLC (Francine) is complete to the all assembled stage and about 75% through the development stage. You can follow it's progress on my build page and on the SLC hub bearing thread as well.

The GT40 (Betty) has been retired from the track and enjoys a morning drive a few times a month along with car shows, club drives etc. I recently decided to redo the shifting system as I have never liked the Lotus setup. High on the to do list is to get the AC going. That's a funny one. It was really the first system I had done in the car but as other things kept getting bumped ahead of it on the to do list I never got it charged and leak tested. The summer here in Texas has motivated me to get it going however.

At some point our old 60s race cars will all end up in someone else's hands and it will become just another possession. Not the Betty or Francine that we brought to life in our own garage with our own hands. They won't have the emotional value that they have to us and I expect all the little inconvenient things that we love will begin to spell their demise.

People want easy. GT40s are not easy. Modern high performance cars like the new Corvette are very easy, cool, and almost hands free (just write a check). Kinda like 25 year old trophy wives. My GT40 is more like a 50 year old truck stop waitress. She will require a bit of work to get her going, loud, bossy, a little dangerous, hot and nasty...……………….just like I like em!

As far as the number of new cars being built goes, I think there may be a trend towards more roller builders with check books like super performance's customers or shop builds like Allen does with SLC's. People have the money but less time to for hobbies. I think that the overall numbers may well be about the same. Just not as many getting built in home garages.

In the end the number of buyers for GT40 kits is limited and sooner or later every body who wants one has one. This will go up and down with the economic growth but generally it's a buyer market and I think it will remain so for quite some time.

IMHO if you build one of these as an investment then you more than likely have made a bad one. However if you want to make new friends, do something with your hands, learn new things and take some time to think, then building a GT40 is a life changing hobby.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
People want easy. GT40s are not easy. Modern high performance cars like the new Corvette are very easy, cool, and almost hands free (just write a check). Kinda like 25 year old trophy wives. My GT40 is more like a 50 year old truck stop waitress. She will require a bit of work to get her going, loud, bossy, a little dangerous, hot and nasty...……………….just like I like em!

Love that analogy!!!!! :thumbsup:

GT40s are not easy. Modern high performance cars like the new Corvette are very easy, cool, and almost hands free (just write a check). Kinda like 25 year old trophy wives..

I take it you have not dated a 20 something recently? My experience is that the GT40 is far easier than a 20 something. The 20 something is more akin to nitroglycerin...handle with care

Last edited:
Back