New GT40K

Hey new to the forum and i am sure i will need all your help here in the coming months. Long story short i was recently reading the craigslist classifies up here in Maine and came across a "Kellington GT40" with supped up headers. Knowing about the bradly GT's and regretting one get away a couple years back it peaked my interest. I did some reading and well its a Kellison GT40K. I called the gentleman who had it and found out it did run, it was sitting outside all winter, but it had all the glass and plexi even the headlight covers. For the price i could not pass it up so its now mine. First order of business is to wash it and vacume it, second get it started ( wiring is a mess but its all VW stuff so easy to put back) then get the seat covers re-done ( they are fiberglass buckets made in CA and i have the old covers for a template) then get it driving and repair the small stuff . Then paint .. Probably With with silver or blue center stripes no side stripes i understand its a GT40 copy but with the VW engine will it ever really be ? then i have to decide if i want to keep the VW engine or go for a 2.3 Chevy turbo FWD mid engine conversion like the goblin kit cars. what are your thoughts on the kellison GT cars ? good find or dime a dozen ?
20190417_172432.jpg

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
"...then i have to decide if i want to keep the VW engine or go for a 2.3 Chevy turbo FWD mid engine conversion like the goblin kit cars."

I have thought for a long time that there ought to be a demand for using the various transverse front-wheel-drive platforms. It seems like a great way to avoid all those fitment issues with the lengthy nature of the longitudinal transaxle. I could see vehicles like the Karma/Magnum 246 Dino replicas being quite suitable to the transverse engine/transaxle setup.

I'm going to Google Goblin kit cars...was not aware anyone had adopted a mid-engine transverse arrangement.

Cheers, and good luck!!!

Doug

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Well, I surved into the Goblin website...was not expecting what I found.
Looks like what I call a "skeleton car"...visible tube frame with exterior body panels. I had envisioned the transverse transaxle assembly in a replica...any idea if that's been done?

Cheers!

Doug

Back