New Quaife Coming Out.... Things are looking up.

For those who are interested in a high performance Transaxle, but could not afford a Quaife or RBT your search will be over soon.

Chris Melia past on some info last night concerning the new Quaife sequential shift tranaxle. In his e-mail he stated "I was at the Quaife factory last week, and the new trans is due out in November 02 at £6500 $9750 less 20% discount for units ordered before November. This unit has the same bolt pattern as the ZF DS25/2 so a ZF bell housing will fit but Quaife can also provide the bellhousing.
In addition to the above you will need to think about the shifter, the quaife shifter is £900 $1350 the drawing below is hot of the drawing board, and it shows the trans to be three inches shorter than the MK One Quaife unit at only 23" long and 9.9" across the drive flanges, they say that it is designed to take at least 550 BHP.
I think it has to be the best prospect for a GT40 trans and at this price its got to be a bargain."

Seeing the price at below $10k and well below $8k if you order before November will be great. I am not sure why one might buy a refurbished ZF for on the order of $7k with something like this available. I also wonder what shifter options we could develop as the $1300 price tag for that seems a bit out of my range. I know you can also add a gear indicator to the dash so that you know what gear you are in. The few cars that I have driven with sequential shift have worked quite well.

For what it is worth I am in no affiliated with Quaife, just want to see this make it in several higher HP GT40's.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: CCX33911 ]

Thanks for the info Gary/Chris
Once we have drawings and specs on this unit I am sure CAV will offer this as an alternative to the Getrag and ZF.We will probably design our own shifter which will be part of rolling cahssis as will the bellhousing.
Bob Lacey CAV

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> (CCX33911): I am not sure why one might buy a refurbished ZF for on the order of $7k with something like this available. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps it is for the same reason that one would buy a used Hasselblad for $2000 when he could purchase an equivalent brand new Bronica outfit for $2500 - because it is what it is.
smile.gif

Good point. Those who want authentic ZF would not settle for less (more??). I personally am interested in something that functions very well. Can take the HP, etc. I like to build it well the first time and not go back. I am not knocking ZF as I have no experience with them. It is just the Quaife has a reputation of being one of the strongest available, but expensive. Now atleast the expense will be much less. The more they sell the lower a price they can offer.

This looks great, can't wait for more info! sequential has gotta be the best way to go, making for faster changes & a much simpler, lighter stick linkage!

I wonder if this box will run inverted like the earlier sequential box?. I'm interested in the output shaft height relative to input compared to, say, a Renault item... anything that can help get the engine lower in the chassis & keep the driveshafts level would be a bonus...

Hi Julian

The new box will run inverted.
The shaft centers are 3.15" this will let the engine to go as low as you can get it.

regards
Chris

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Chris, thanks for the info on the new transaxle. I am currently building a gt40 to be powered by a 427 sideoiler and I am in need of a transaxle. The problem I'm having is that everyone I speak with advises that the trans they are selling can handle the torque of the big block while their competitions transaxle can not. It is extremely difficult to get a straight unbiased answer. Can anyone advise as to the strongest of the following gearboxes and how much torque each box can handle:

ZF/M1 Porsche G50/50 or 50/52 and the new Quaife.

Chris, do you know if the new quaife's are to be sold ready to run inverted or will there be an additional charge to convert the trans? Thanks Gregg

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Is there a reverse gear, is it a dog box ??????????????????????????????????

We have already done a whole lot of work for this box and have a bellhousing under manufacture that will be used.

Roll on November

Robert

My understanding is that it is a six speed sequential shift with reverse. Either straight cut or helical cut gears will be available.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the basic difference in the straight cut vs. helical cut gears. I'm sure I have read aboout them somewhere, but have lost those brain cells somewhere. Now where could I have put them?
Bill

Bill,

Straight-cut gears are generally more efficient - no sliding - but they can get very noisy. There's a reason why the only straight-cut gears left in street cars are used on reverse only, and they're being phased out. Remember what an
E-type Jag sounded like when it backed up?
shocked.gif

Basically straight cut gears are found in racing transmissions because of the increased efficiency and lower heat generation and increased strength. Helical gears area quieter. I am not sure if they change the transaxle rating for helical gears versus straight cut.

Bob Putnam: Do you think you will offer these as an option for your cars?

Hi Greg

Andy Chivers is the name that you need.
E-mail [email protected]
web site www.quaife.co.uk
Tel 0044 (0)1732 741144

R.T. Quaife Engineering Ltd
Vestry Road
Otford
Sevenoaks
Kent
TN14 SEL
England

Regards

Chris Melia

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Putnam -ERA-:
Bill,

Straight-cut gears are generally more efficient - no sliding - but they can get very noisy. There's a reason why the only straight-cut gears left in street cars are used on reverse only, and they're being phased out. Remember what an
E-type Jag sounded like when it backed up?
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, i have an old datsun z 5spd with straight cut reverse, it "whines" in reverse, could get very annoying if the other 5 were like that
smile.gif

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Chris thanks for the contact info, but a little disappointed in Quaife's intial reply. I received a return e-mail from a Matt who told me to contact Quaife America. I replied that I already contacted Quaife America and they had no idea of what I was talking about. I'll keep you updated as the info comes in. Gregg

I don't trust converting the bitmap pictures to cad, so I requested some real engineering drawings. It's a bit weird that they don't have any basic dxfs, though - they're sending me paper. I don't know that I can deal with THAT!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gregg:
I replied that I already contacted Quaife America and they had no idea of what I was talking about. I'll keep you updated as the info comes in. Gregg<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before I contacted Chris and passed along the info in this thread I had contacted Quaife America. They had no clue about the new unit and gave me the party line about the current (old) design. Tranaxle plus shifter plus belhousing = ~$25k.
shocked.gif
I would whittle one out of Titanium with my tongue before I would pay that kind of money.
grin.gif

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: CCX33911 ]

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I also have tried to contact Quaife America. My emails remain unanswered, and my phone call came with the same uneducated answer, as above. Well over $20000.00 for transaxle, and seq. shifter.
confused.gif
They can not tell me if the transaxle will hold up to my 600 foot pounds of torque either, (aluminum 427 small block Chevy, for my Lola). Can we possibly get some REAL answers and prices.Is it possible to buy over seas, and get the volume discount !!!!!!!! Anyone, that went on the tour, could they PLEASE give us some more information !!!!!!
THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back