New Quaife Coming Out.... Things are looking up.

NEW QUAIFE MK2 6 SPEED

I also am very interested in this box however the lack of specs (ratings) and a final drive ratio of 3.889 leave me a bit cold. If it took 500-600 ft/lbs and had a 3.44 final option I'd be a pre-order kind of guy! Please keep posting your findings!

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: S Sterling ]

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
I spoke to Mike at Quaife last evening (24 hours ago) and he told me that the gearboxes will be under test in November and available same time ish !!!

The major problem I see is that he told me that a company (name not given) has asked for all gearboxes to be sold through them. The boxes will not be available through Quaife !!!!!

This is not a done deal yet but Quaife are in talks with them. I have been asked to contact them next week but I would like to know (honestly) who is interested in one of these gearboxes.

The sequential box is a DOG box but I am assured will drive GREAT on the road. There is a reverse gear and a hydraulic clutch bearing etc. A range of input shafts will be available and a ZF bell housing will fit (I can supply them). A full range of gears will be available together with 3 final drives.

Overall the box will be great in my opinion and I will be fitting one in my own car as long as the prices do not go stupid.

I believe if we can get enough orders (they build their boxes in batchs of 25) we might be able to get a VERY favourable price.

Please contact me if you are interested in one of these boxes, I have a week to try and get them at a good price.

Many thanks,

Robert Logan

Hi Robert

I have already placed my order with Quaife for the new box.
I hope that no third party companies get involved to inflate the price.

Regards

Chris.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roaring Forties:

The sequential box is a DOG box but I am assured will drive GREAT on the road.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robert, I'm a little confused. As I understand it, because the gears are straight cut (Dog gears) the box will be noisy like a Jerico. When you say it will be great on the street does that mean you won't be bothered by the noise or that the gearbox won't be noisy?

I'm not interested in a gearbox with straight cut gears, but Quaife's H-pattern gearbox looks like it would fit the bill.

I guess a lot of this depends on how well my existing Getrag box holds up, but I'm not optimistic with it behind a 347.

Robert I have interest in this box. I would want favorable gear ratios. Since we have 6 to choose from I would like to have more spread then might be available for a pure racing box. Something like overall ratio (engine to wheel) of 10:1 for first gear and 2.3:1 for sixth gear.

I would also be more interested in a helical box (although would settle for a straight cut) and would like to know the torque/HP rating, etc.

Thanks

Mark,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Robert, I'm a little confused. As I understand it, because the gears are straight cut (Dog gears) the box will be noisy like a Jerico. When you say it will be great on the street does that mean you won't be bothered by the noise or that the gearbox won't be nois <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Straight cut gears are not necessarily dog gears. Gears are either straight cut or helical cut.

Gears are *engaged* either by synchros or Dogs. Synchro's are the norm on road car gearboxes whereas motorcycles tend to use dog boxes. A synchro is normally a bronze ring that sits infront of the gear & helps to spin the gear up to speed before drive is put thru it, giving a smooth change between gears.

A Dog is much more harsh & the gears are engaged without the help of the synchro. Next time you hear a motorcycle engage first gear from neutral, you'll hear a series of rapid clicks as the gear engages. This is the noise of the 'dogs' engaging.

I've used a straight-cut, synchro box on a raod car & the only drawback is the noise (not a problem IMO). A 'dog' box will be much harder to live with, but not impossible. Dog boxes favour 'flat-out' gearchanges, which may not be ideal in your local supermarket car park!
grin.gif

I agree I am wondering if it is a dog box or what. I think the dog box would be a bit of a pain on the street. I assume you would have to double clutch the downshifts, etc.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You are right about dog boxes; it is the method of engaging the gear that differs, in that dog boxes use dog clutches. they are sturdier but harsher, and yes you do double-clutch the downshifts. I think dog boxes tend to have straight cut gears in the ratios, but it doesn't have to do with engaging them as they are all constant mesh. I think it has to do with reducing frictional losses and making the gears stronger.
I don't know if there are any other Mini enthusiasts who happen to be on this forum, but the ultimate Mini racing gearbox is a dog box. I thought it was expensive til I bought a ZF for my GT40.
shocked.gif

The sequential dog boxes I've had experience with didn't require double-clutching any more than a motorcycle does. Non-sequential is, of course, a different story.

Scott

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
To ALL :

I will talk to the people at Quaife end of next week as they asked and will discuss the helical / straight cut matter.

The comment I made about "great on the road" was a direct quote from Michael at Quaife. I will let him explain !!

Chris,

The third party is again a quote from them. I too hope this does not happen. I am looking at putting my order in VERY soon and would encourage others to do the same.

Richard T,

I have been trying to contact you, please send me an e-mail on this subject.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi all

I did not post initially because this was hot off the press, ie. the GTD factory visit.
This news is out months before the transaxle has even gone into production. Yes there
is a lot of speculation but please be patient give Quaife the time to sort out their
marketing and production stratergy and to test the potential of this trans before you
demand performance figures.
I was fortunate enough to go on the factory visit for which I thank Quaife for their
hospitallity, and I was very impressed by their facility.
Having recently demolished a Renault gearbox on my trip to Le Mans, I for one want
to install a transaxle that is made for the Job and can handle the power.
From what I have scene you are welcome to go with the miriad of transaxles that were
designed for 2 or 3 liter European cars but when you get seriuos, you will want either
a ZF, Hewland, or the new Quaife.
Quaife has the best of reputations in motor sport and their engineering is second to
none. Ford themselves are dependent on Quaife for differentials for some of their
sports models here in UK.
Robert Logan is in contact regarding this transaxle, why not get in touch with Robert
as he has asked, and maybe he can help to clear the situation and present a united front on behalf of this forums members. Then hopefully we can all benefit by Robert’s
efforts.

Regards

Chris

[ July 30, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Ron Earp

Admin
Robert,

I will have interest in this box as am sure others will. However, will the others respond so we can get a reasonable count?

Ron

G

So, I'm responding. I am definitely interested or, at least, will be once they get their act together. As a GTD owner, I am curious as to how much is involved in replacing my Renault box with the new Quaife (sp) transaxle.

I would be interested if I had some "numbers" on cost, performance, and support.It is a little pricey for now. Would have to make sure there aren't any connection problems that would add to the cost. I guess i could sell the Porshe unit to offset the cost.
Bill

I am interested if helical-cut gears are available along with good gear ratios. I will trust Robert's judgement if he thinks the dog gears will be streetworthy.

Thanks for the clarifications about dog gears BTW.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Well I had an interest in the new trans, but same is quickly fading. Quaife UK has failed to answer my emails and as previously stated Quaike USA has no clue as to the new trans. I don't know about the rest of the american builders showing interest in the box, but if this is any indication of how service will be handled, I am not going to be the first in line to shell out $8k for the trans. You would think that Quaife would be interested in selling as many transaxles as possible however the lack of specifications and ratings has bumped this trans to the bottom of the list. At least if I buy a zf, porsche or even a hewland I know the box can always be serviced here in the U.S. by more than one company, if the need arises. I know roaring forties is trying to get additional info for some of the members but I do not believe I should have to go through a third party for answers to my questions. Just my 2 cents.

G

Do people think that the noise of the gears will get past the glorious noise of a powerful engine that needs a box as strong as a Quaife? If the answer is yes you most likely don't need a box as strong as a quaife!
Malcolm

Hi all,

I am very interested in the Quaife transmission as an alternative to the Renault transmission currently fitted on my GTD40.

The Quaife 6 speed is quite a bit larger than the ZF. This is my take on how it will fit into an ERA. It might be hidden by a low-mounted license plate, though.
quaife.gif

Quaife profile in orange, ZF in green, rear body in black.

Back