New Quaife Coming Out.... Things are looking up.

Those were from drawings sent to me from Quaife America a week ago. It could be possible that they don't know what they're doing.
frown.gif
I know that the profile that they sent me doesn't match the Quaife web site - it's 2"-3" longer. Man, I hate this b.s.

Chris,

I've seen that drawing, but I wanted corroboration of the dimensions - preferably in a dxf file. Those shaded drawings end up a mess in my raster-to-vector translator.

I'll try to get drawings directly from Quaife UK.

Hi bob
how deep is your bellhousing?
The standard GT40 bellhousing is 4".

Regards

Chris

The profile with body outline used a Quaife unit that is 25.7" long. Definitely larger than the "23 inch" unit. The ZF is 22" long, not including a small boss at the bottom.

Our bell housing is 3.94" deep.

Thanks Bob

sounds as though the new Quaife is going to fit. I hope we hear some news soon!

Regards

Chris.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
I spoke to Quaife last evening and they are still in discussions with this THIRD party who wish to retail the boxes, ALL of them !!!

They will not discuss the mater further and said that they have not and will not accept deposits for the gearbox.

I will keep on to them and will post any information on the forum.

I think that a series of e-mails inquiring about the boxes addressed to Michael Quaife at Quaife might show the company that they can sell the boxes themselves (only a thought ).

Best wishes,

Robert

Sorry for being so "behind the power curve" here but I've been off building (not dreaming).

You can add me to the list of buyers if I explode the ZF. I think I'm going to be pushing it pretty close to it's limit with this monster motor I've purchased. A paddle activated sequential shift sounds kinda cool. Move over Enzo. Here comes that deep throated sound again.

I haven't seen an explanation for the helical vs. straight cut choice here requested earlier so I'd like to take a stab at it.

Both kinds of gears have good points and bad points. The helical are more quiet but because of the angled cut a force is imparted on the gear that thrusts it longitudinally against a "thrust" washer or some such similar functioning surface. Power is converted into heat (Bad). Thus helical cut gears will cause more power loss than a straight cut set of gears because straight cut gears transmit force in a straight line between the gears imparting no side-wards thrust. Downside to straight cuts have been noted here.

OK. Back to the GT now.

Robert, I would certainly be interested in one. Hang in there and keep us advised. Thanks much.

Roger D.

Gregg, Go for a ZF DS25-2 transaxle. It can take as many horsepower as you can give it and it will never burst if you don't abuse it. Good enough to win at Le Mans, good enough for us.

Robert Logan

To all,

Spoke again to the people at Quaife again last night.

Little news except that the time line has moved to the right and the boxes will not now be ready till early next year ( February I was told ). The posibility of the boxes being sold through an agent looks more likely but I have not been told this for definate. I am e-mailing them tonight and will ask the hard questions.

Best wishes,

Robert.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Panterman, thanks for the input. I'm still researching my choice of trans though. Down to my last contact re the original T44. If it is not realistically priced (IMO) I will probably wait to see what ford is going to use in the new 40 and the price of same. I've spoken to many credible sources who have conflicting opinions as to whether or not the ZF will withstand the torque of the 427. All sources agree that NO trans will withstand the abuse of holeshots, not to mention the fact that the car was not designed for that type of driving. I doubt the axles/cv joints will withstand hole shots as well. I'll keep you posted as to the final trans selected and as to its longevity.

Robert Logan

Et all,

I have e-mailed Quaife again tonight after recieving an e-mail from them. I have tried to explain the disadvantages of the single distribution point (I would love to be their agent on this product as I am sure that they would sell themselves). I hope that they understand our worries before they make up their minds regarding the distribution question.

These boxes will be excellent as all their work is.

Please be patient as the end is nearly in sight and the delay in delivery is usually a good sign of a company perfecting their product and not allowing US their customers do their R&D work for them.

Best wishes,

Robert

G

Greg, Ford is using the RBT 6sp in the new GT40. Have you talked with Lloyd Butfoy yet?
Lloyd is a member on the forum although he doesn't contribute often. Kind of cool that he doesn't force his product in, but then again, I don't think he has to. He and I have talked about the new GT40. He was very interested in the story I heard from Kinsler that Ford had busted some axles doing 1/4 mile times for a magazine article. He was very surprised to hear that because Ford had said nothing to him and they "ride [his] butt pretty hard on stuff like that."

If you haven't talked to him, I would suggest you talk to him. I really don't think he would steer you wrong about using a 427.

RBT Transmissions
1100 West Katella Avenue
Orange, California 92868 USA
tel: +1.714.516.1215
fax: +1.714.516.1216
email: [email protected] http://www.rbttrans.com/

Back