New transaxles for SLC?

Very interesting. Is there a datasheet?

How do the (I assume) different dimensions (vs Ricardo) change the engines that fit?

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The Graz. does not change the engine fit at all in an SLC (primary target for fitment)...I cant comment on any other car though...
The overall length is very similar to the Ricardo but its not as "girthy"

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Call the shop for more info

Lead time is currently 12-16 weeks for a transaxle delivery..so ordering at the same time as a kit is imperative for discount pricing and combined shipping.

The Graz. does not change the engine fit at all in an SLC (primary target for fitment)...I cant comment on any other car though...
The overall length is very similar to the Ricardo but its not as "girthy"

Fran, so noted on the Ricardo dimensions!

However, looking at the pictures of the (my) Graziano transaxle, it appears to be a little shorter than the Porsche G50/96. If in fact this is the case, I'm wondering if this would push the entire drive train rearward; thus leaving enough room to accommodate the larger pulley of an Edelbrock Supercharger without having to modify the chassis as required with the LS9?

Jim

I still think everybody should use a 930 transaxle. Lightweight, powerful, and only 4 gears ........ 5th and 6th are over-rated :D

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...thus leaving enough room to accommodate the larger pulley of an Edelbrock Supercharger without having to modify the chassis as required with the LS9?

I was under the impression (from posts elsewhere) that using an LS9 only required a firewall change at the factory? :stunned:

A Magnuson Supercharger will fit (pulley wise) with the engine in the "stock" position, similar to the LS9 the intake is facing forward.

how much would a 930 box with starter clutch, etc. cost complete? same price? if so, why wouldn't you want two more gears and I'm assuming the new transmission will just shift a lot smoother, make less noise, etc..

I personally think the decision on transaxle is or should be related to the "car". I think the 930 box is perfect for a 917 or Mclaren. Even doable in a GT40, but would seem slightly out of place in an SLC or LeMans. A 915/930 box is at polar ends to an Italian box so it would seem odd there too. Think more VW Beetle than S2000 or Miata. I say that as a Pman so no slander intended and with two 930 boxes in my shop (beside a couple G50's), I would seriously consider this box for a mod-high end SLC build.

I don't argue that you need 5 or 6 spd at the track for this hp/weight ratio in a DE car, but would ironically suggest its needed for a "refined" supercar feel. Shoot a 930 box and some rpm will take you to other side of 190mph, but you'll also likely hit 90 in first gear with a small clutch so jack rabbit starts are hurt.

how much would a 930 box with starter clutch, etc. cost complete? same price? if so, why wouldn't you want two more gears and I'm assuming the new transmission will just shift a lot smoother, make less noise, etc..

Based on my research, a "decent" complete (clutch, starter, etc...) drivetrain setup will run you around 13k. Ricardo (at old pricing) g50, 930, etc...

I don't have my 930 yet so I havn't driven one, but based on the reviews I've read I know I will be satisfied. I'm happy with 4 speeds - I never leave 4th in my SLC or cobra. It can handle lots of power. It's lightweight as all getout. It can be repaired at many different places. What more do you need?

I like my Ricardo but in some senses I regret buying it - it's basically a ticking time bomb. Something happens, will Ford help? Nope. Adrian is unforatuntely dead. Stillen isn't touching them. RPM transmissions may or may not be able to help. I know everybody screams about how awesome they are because they can take 1500hp and not break, and they can take a lot of power and shift well (other than cold 2nd gear "grind" almost everybody has), but 95% of people who have a Ricardo who do not have a Ford GT have a repaired unit. At some point in time something happened to their transaxle and it was fixed .... who will fix it now?

Anyways, I'm sure those transaxles are a great transaxle, but for me, I just want light weight, 4 speed, bullet proof, and most of the parts being very easily accessible.

Different strokes for different folks .... like Luke said, a more modern transaxle is needed for a "refined" supercar feel .... I don't want that. I want the "f*ck you I R race car" feel, lol

If it matters, I have just shy of 5K in my 930 LSD. Fresh rebuild, with adapter/clutch/starter/pp, etc. I poked the holes for running inverted and prepared to use an oil pump and cooler (I've been told this is not necessary if not tracking the car). Have another 1K in the pump/cooler/filter, fittings, etc.

I like my Ricardo but in some senses I regret buying it -
SNIP
but 95% of people who have a Ricardo who do not have a Ford GT have a repaired unit. At some point in time something happened to their transaxle and it was fixed .... who will fix it now?

Errr... Aren't the majority of Ricardos (that are not currently installed in Ford GTs) transaxles that came out of WRECKED Ford GTs? Most wrecks wouldn't damage the transmission at all, no?

JR

Errr... Aren't the majority of Ricardos (that are not currently installed in Ford GTs) transaxles that came out of WRECKED Ford GTs? Most wrecks wouldn't damage the transmission at all, no?

JR

There are some floating from wrecked GTs, but I'm pretty sure most were sourced from DAB - my understanding is whenever there were issues Ford would just do a direct swap and send it back to Ricardo. Adrian left Ricardo and bought the broken supply of transaxles, then rebuilt them and sold them.

The vast majority of people I've talked to over the years who has a Ricardo (not just on this forum) received one with a handwritten tag indicating the damage and repair. For example, mine said (I kept it as a memento, hehe) :

No 4th gear weld 22/9/06

During Warmup in test selected 4th gear but motor overspeed as if in netural 25/9/06

Retest after complete rework, pass OK 27/9/06

My 95% was grossly highly (I'm sure some people also bought new from Ford when they were selling them for ridiculous prices at a time - up here my dealer wanted to know if i would buy one for $25k brand new, LOL!), but like I said, almost everybody I've talked to over the years has received a rebuilt one (based on the fact it came with the repair tag attached still).

If it matters, I have just shy of 5K in my 930 LSD. Fresh rebuild, with adapter/clutch/starter/pp, etc. I poked the holes for running inverted and prepared to use an oil pump and cooler (I've been told this is not necessary if not tracking the car). Have another 1K in the pump/cooler/filter, fittings, etc.

But you also told me you bought it when prices for them were crazy silly cheap .... if you were to buy one today and have gbox rebuild it, how much would you be into it for ;)

Ask Eric. I'm guessing about 8K

Ask Alex, he's got his invoice sitting right here infront of him - $11.9k :)

edit: that's without an oil pump and cooler - i'm not tracking the car so Eric told me it wasn't a necessary addition to it.

Back