New transaxles for SLC?

But that is reportedly just parts. I have yet to hear about install costs, but they are supposed to be significant given the complexity and requirement to disassemble the entire box. Anyone have the labor figure?

Hi All,

I wanted to revive an old post to see if anyone has changed the drop gears in the graz and see how difficult it is. I am considering doing this but would like to know what I am getting into.

cheers,

Craig

I have the gears and have been told two different things. The gears are just behind the rear cover and held on by a nut and pin very easy to exchange. The other is they are near the front of the transmission.
I found a manual for Lamborghini on there forum but it does not tell what gears do what.
If some one can find out the information I will be happy to video the change.
Ed

I have the gears and have been told two different things. The gears are just behind the rear cover and held on by a nut and pin very easy to exchange. The other is they are near the front of the transmission.
I found a manual for Lamborghini on there forum but it does not tell what gears do what.
If some one can find out the information I will be happy to video the change.
Ed

Ed,
I know Erik Johnson from The Race Line has done the drop gears on a Graziano box before.
He would be somebody to talk to.
Rohan

Ed,
I know Erik Johnson from The Race Line has done the drop gears on a Graziano box before.
He would be somebody to talk to.
Rohan

I just spoke with Erik and as noted, he makes the gears and they are $2,000.

It is apparently not rocket science but it is about 10 hrs of labor from someone that knows their way around a transaxle ... he estimated $1,000 + shipping to/from Colorado.

It is not something that can be done with the transaxle in the car. While he is in there he would remove the front drive shaft.

I am enjoying driving it now ... don't really want to tear it apart again. argh.

cheers,

Craig

When I perched the gears he told me you just remove the rear cover and slide in the gears anyone can do it. Not to happy.
Ed

I have a Graziano now that just got back to me with drop gears. Just had the first start so I have not driven it yet.
It is a about a ten hour job to get the gears in. They are deep inside there and involve much more than taking the end cap off. The end cap and main casing have to be removed, then the gears can be accessed. They are deep inside there. The casing also had to be slightly machined to accept the bigger gear.

I've modified the latest gearing spreadsheet floating around to include the 0.7586 drop option (detailed by <a href="http://www.theraceline.net/the-race-line.html">these guys</a> on a thread on factoryfiveforum) applied to both the V8 and V10 Graziano boxes. I also included a late-model Covette Tremec ratio set for comparison since most people are looking at an LS engine. Included a redline of 6,600 RPM for the LS376. See columns N, P, Q in the attached.

The drop option looks nice. The factory Graziano ratios without the drop... not my favorite.

Thanks for the file. It was very helpful and saved me some time. I have added in some more of the gearboxes that may be used if you are on a reduced budget and HP.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3645721/GT40/Engineering/Transmission calculations.xls

regards Ryan

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
When I perched the gears he told me you just remove the rear cover and slide in the gears anyone can do it. Not to happy.
Ed

Ed,

There's a lot of misinformation out there on the drop gears. I have a set installed on my SLC and what is being advertised is not accurate on any front. If you can bear with me a couple weeks, I'll put together an overview for the community that makes sense of all the information out there. I can also put you in touch with a shop who can do the install for you - it's not a simple job.

Best,
John

I found this out the drop gear is just behind the pinion gear and the cases have to be trimmed inside to get the gears to fit,
Eric said $500. that would be a good price if that was the total. I have found another shop to do it but no price yet.
Ed

Caution on taking a quick view of that spread sheet. As pulled up, it is set for an 8000 rpm redline. Also has tire info that should be adjusted to your case.

I have a V10 Graz and see about 172mph (GPS) @ about 7,000 rpm - which is close to what the spreadsheet shows when the parameters are adjusted.

It may do. depends what calculation I was doing the last time I saved the file. RPM changes depending on which engine I have been considering. Same with tyres. The 15" Avons actually have a larger rolling diameter than some of the 18" wheels.

Ryan

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Albins seq race box...paddle
Xtrac seq race box...paddle
Mendeola seq race box...bump lever

what do you mean by semi-automatic...

I was thinking similar to what modern cars from the big supercar mfr's have. Wasn't sure how to clearly state that.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Lots of variables from paddle/button shifted automatics to H pattern boxes with solenoid paddle shift, DSG double clutch....

The simple answer is there are none available that have filtered down to being price and tech compatible in the one off arena just yet...

Back