Nomenclature for GT40 Dash

I have a CAV GT40 and there are no labels identifying the dash switches. Interested in what other people have done on their switch/dash labeling?

Rather than refer to the picture in my head, I purchased labels from Pegasus Auto Racing for my CAV switches and am very pleased with them. They are black plastic plaques with self adhesive backs and red lettering. The only one I had difficulty selecting for was the switch for the A/C-Heater switch. I selected "Fan". All the others are covered by options offered by Pegasus, i.e., Rad Fan, Lights, Fuel Pump, Wipers. Looks very professional and was a very economic option.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Since you probably have leather as I, go to a pin stripper and have them painted on. I did mine white on black.

Tom, if you are the only one driving it, leave them unlabelled like the originals. I never labelled mine and think it adds to the mystery. It may even deter someone from attempting to drive it without permission. But its all personal preference.

I agree, Mark. If you need a label, you don't know your car well enough!
Mind you, the number of times I've flashed another car on my radiator fan.....:rolleyes:

The mental picture and the mystery dash are interesting responses. I'm a retired aerospace guy and at one time was responsible for procuring almost the entire fight deck of the original 747's. Spent way too much time with engineers to think that a mystery dash is a good idea. Lots of studies showed that properly labeled instruments and switches make all the difference.

Several of your suggestions are interesting, such as using a pin stripper. I appreciate your inputs.

The mental picture and the mystery dash are interesting responses. I'm a retired aerospace guy and at one time was responsible for procuring almost the entire fight deck of the original 747's. Spent way too much time with engineers to think that a mystery dash is a good idea. Lots of studies showed that properly labeled instruments and switches make all the difference.

Several of your suggestions are interesting, such as using a pin stripper. I appreciate your inputs.

In the industrial world, visual ques have proven them to eliminate errors. Whether your flying a 747 or a GT40, a mistake can be bad news. I cannot imagine owning a car with a bunch of unmarked switches. Unless you going for originality...... but I could swear I have seen lots of pictures of GT40s with labels added......

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I have reached up and hit my headlights once when I meant to turn on the fans so you have a point. Label away gents, its all good.

If the GT40 dash looked like a 747 dash then I would agree entirely :)

...besides you should have your eyes on the road, not 'inside' to read labels. The few knob and switches in a GT-40 that are available within an arms reach should be located in logical groups so they're intuitive. Also, as mentioned earlier, anything you can do to delay or discourage a thief from running off with your car....

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
While not "authentic" Dymo-labeled, I'm happy with how mine turned out. Clear, easy to read and doesn't look like it was made with pilfered library equipment. I screen-printed mine onto folded aluminum plates I painted satin black.

As for someone stealing my car and knowing what the switches do, I'm not terribly worried. Most people can't seem to even figure out how to open the door. Knowing which button actually STARTS the car gets more interesting.

Mark

Attachments

• NewDash.jpg
    NewDash.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 988
Back