Nostril pieces

Hi all,

I have the week off to get the car in primer.

If any of you guys could post some pictures of their nostrils (hahaha) then I would really appreciate it.

I want to make sure that I can get the "look" right, looking down towards the fans. In other words, how much "meat" / "bevel" did you leave on the nostrils on the opening to the fans??

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help :thumbsup:

Graham.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Re: Nostril piccies...

nostrils.jpg

SORRY - Could not help myself... :D

Actually - I was planning on leaving about 1/4" of the panels that need to be cut-out just to strengthen the ends of the nostrils..

Why did I know you would do that Randy? Thought of same, but maintained tasteful
absenence...Guess we're just way too wretched!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Graham

You may need to give a few more clues

Are you using a single hole nostril panel or one with 2 holes

And do the nostrils go down to about half way down the radiator or are the deep nostrils that go to the bottom of the radiator.

so many different options available here and even at the LMC classic this year the originals had all sorts of variations

Ian

Frank,

You got me there... half depth to be precise. I've primered it now, and it looks fine. Piccies to follow.

Thanks all for your help once again!

Graham.

Mike Pass

Supporter

If you use the halfway down type you will get two issues. One is that the front clip area will pressurise and you will see the nostril panel bulging upwards at speed.The airflow through the rad will be poor because the outlet for the air through the nostrils is half blocked off. You should use a set up like the one in Frank's pics above to ensure that the airflow is maximised. When I did mine with one of Frank's deep nostril panels the nostril is pressed down at speed and the car is more stable at high speed as the airflow is much better. Also in traffic on a very hot day the fans can drag at lot more air through the rad as the air path is so much better. This made a big difference at the Le Mans Classic this year as it was very very hot in towns with the sun beating down and kept overheating at bay. The final bit is that you can box in the prow shaped centre section of the deep nostril and use it for much needed storage which is short supply in a 40.
Cheers
Mike

This is what I'm doing with mine. The 'grill' opening will be shrouded so that all air goes through the radiator. The fans / shroud ensures that all air through the radiator will go through the fans. The nostrils will ensure that all air through the fans goes back to the outside. I will probably leave them open, but the nostrils can be dressed up with louvres, or similar, to retain the normal GT40 look.

Lance

Attachments

• Radiator Fans.JPG
    Radiator Fans.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC03498 (Small).JPG
    DSC03498 (Small).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC02387 (Small).JPG
    DSC02387 (Small).JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC02388 (Small).JPG
    DSC02388 (Small).JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 339

This looks excellent Lance. Though I must say that the DRB's seem to have no trouble with the "normal" nostril set-up, radiator, and single fan, even at high-ish engine kW.

Graham,
You should really consider doing the full nostril whether single or dual. Along with the issues raised so far, is what I consider the most important of them all. HEAT. With half a nostril the heat transfer to the cabin will be horrific. All that radiator heat will build up under the bonnet and be transferred to the cabin. Your feet will let you know right away. Add all the insulation you can to that panel Make sure the base of the nostrils(when you extend them) are sealed to the base of the radiator as well as possible. If you have tubes coming off the back of the radiator the seal will be a little more difficult. That is what I am dealing with. Your toughest decision is how to accomplish the transition to the base. Some like to go straight down others like me like to transition them. You will have to build up the front of the nostril to make sure the nostrils are sealed so no air gets into the bonnet. Hope these pics help.You will notice the notch in last pic. I plan to add a rubber strip there to help with the blocking.
When you finish make sure the front clip can be raised without any interference from the nostrils or you will have to remove it every time you decide to open the clip.

Bill

gt4082.jpg

FrontfansSmall.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Graham,
You should really consider doing the full nostril whether single or dual. Along with the issues raised so far, is what I consider the most important of them all. HEAT. With half a nostril the heat transfer to the cabin will be horrific. All that radiator heat will build up under the bonnet and be transferred to the cabin. Your feet will let you know right away. Add all the insulation you can to that panel Make sure the base of the nostrils(when you extend them) are sealed to the base of the radiator as well as possible. If you have tubes coming off the back of the radiator the seal will be a little more difficult. That is what I am dealing with. Your toughest decision is how to accomplish the transition to the base. Some like to go straight down others like me like to transition them. You will have to build up the front of the nostril to make sure the nostrils are sealed so no air gets into the bonnet. Hope these pics help.You will notice the notch in last pic. I plan to add a rubber strip there to help with the blocking.
When you finish make sure the front clip can be raised without any interference from the nostrils or you will have to remove it every time you decide to open the clip.

Bill

gt4082.jpg

FrontfansSmall.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Bill....I like that look...

Time for me to source a deep nostril (cue another silly piccy from Randy no doubt ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks to one and all for the help. I think it's worth doing it right. The heat issue is a biggy and I don't want to roast my feet in the cabin if I can help it.

Graham.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Bill....I like that look...

X-2 on that!!!! I'm thinking of doing the same with my dual nostril hood.. I also have a single nostril that I'll paint to match the car as well..

Time for me to source a deep nostril (cue another silly piccy from Randy no doubt ;) :thumbsup:

No worries there... Sorry I picked on your Nostril Thread! :shocked:

Actually - A number of good ideas here and it's a question that I tried to get answered before. I've not seen any good/clear pictures of a dual nostril hood on an original that shows how deep it is or how close to the radiator etc..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Ian - Good stuff!!! I missed that thread!

I have noticed on some of the continuation cars that they have no paneling on the front sides. This is good for cooling(sort of), but the cleanup required from road debris would not make me happy. You would have to add twice as much insulation to keep the residual heat out of the cabin. + the insulation is on the inside of that front panel which would mean that any heat the front panel would adsorb would be transferred to the sporting frame members on the inside, making the insulation work that much harder. A lot of us have those hot water lines running down the middle of our cabins(DRB), so every bit of blocking the heat is money well spent. Just my $.01

Bill

nostrils.jpg

SORRY - Could not help myself... :D

Actually - I was planning on leaving about 1/4" of the panels that need to be cut-out just to strengthen the ends of the nostrils..

Looks like an excerpt from "The Land Before Time," or "Jurassic Park."

Is this the part where the Velociraptor jumps out and sprays venom on us?

My observation at LMC and the Revival was that none of the twin nostril original cars had ducts which went down to the floor, so they all finished half way up the radiator. I am afraid I didn't notice whether there was any additional ducting to deflect air from the bottom of the radiator.

Back