NOT Your Average Road Convoy....

Keith

Brilliant! (If you like steam that is)

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> WW1 Steam Convoy

Hard a starboard, she won't answer the helm captain!

holy crap - did you see that poor guy cranking on the wheel to make that first turn!

wonderful to see that much history rolling down the road again!

thanks for posting that.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
LOL... Amazing isn't it?

I thought they weren't going to make the corner.. I bet he had 30 turns in that wheel to get it turned!

I wonder what sort of mileage they got out of those rubber treads?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Brilliant! A cousin of mine owned a Foden steam truck for many years. Wonderful old machine. Took forever to get it going in the morning, but once underway it was unstoppable.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Cheers Keith !
A Fantastic show with 'Gigantic', the McLaren engine up front.

The Brits excelled in this engineering and these type of engines were exported all over the world.
The big ploughing engines in particular, were pretty awesome machines and those made by Fowler in Leeds were used to successfully drain the disease ridden swamps of the Pontine Marsh surrounding Rome in the 30's for Mussolini, a project previously attempted by the Italians for millennia.
The contract was won at an international ploughing tournament organised by the Italian state and all of the other foreign bidders failed the trials on the day of the contest.

I have a fairly big 3" scale Fowler ploughing engine project which has been ongoing in my workshop for many years.

I can appreciate this sort of thing, a good friend of mine spent years restoring this Sentinel steam lorry. Lots of work, I made a few bits for it .

This is the truck.

Bob

image6411535211_db93288420.jpgs.jpg

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 6411535211_db93288420.jpg
    6411535211_db93288420.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 260
Anyone who has driven live steam on the road is forever in love with these machines, I had the great honor to drive "Sir John Fowler" , a massive fairground generating engine originally owned by the maker himself, on the roads to local shows in southern England. Fantastic memories.

Initially the Sentinel did more miles on the back of my low loader than it did under its own steam. My friend could not work out how to keep the thing going . He eventually met an old man at a steam rally that used to drive one for a living , he put my friend straight on the correct coal and gave him a demo training run. Sorted in an hour after struggling for a year :embarassed: he drove it to Scotland after that with no problems. The Hogs back Brewery sponsored the paint job and paid for all its fuel as long as it attended plenty of shows, since sold for more than you would pay for a house.

Bob

Back