Oil coolers - where?

Ron Earp

Admin
What are you fellows using for engine oil coolers that don't cost a fortune? Ditto transaxle oil coolers, since I think I'll be installing one of those on the 016 to give it all the chance in the world.

Ron,I found mine on EBAY from a company in NC called Racecity race parts. It was a quality piece with -12AN fittings for 25 bucks. I would suggest going to their web site. I got all my Nomex Startlite hose there for 20 cents on the dollar. I think there are several used race parts stores in the Charlotte area. I also got a very nice race car fire extinguisher setup from them,75 bucks. chuck

I got all my hoses and AN stuff off Ebay, but got the coolers from Earls(25stack, 10AN) and some 9"Spall units. Probably paid too much by the standards of the earlier post but they are killer looking. The spray bar and sprayers for the trans can be had from Aircraft Spruce. Haven't ordered mine yet. Still designing the mid trans mounts. Will pull the trans apart to lenghten the studs and drill for the sprayers at the same time.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com./menus/ha/fittings.html

Attachments

• Web P1010163.jpg
    Web P1010163.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 468

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ron, pick out the Earls cooler you like and call up Summit with the part number. They will be able to get it for you.

I have found that Summit will be VERY near the lowest cost you can buy most things and be assured of prompt delivery, liberal return policy, and all new parts, not to mention saving a lot of time looking for the best price only to save a couple of dollars.

used cooler....

Beware. Why are they selling the cooler? Because the engine failed, and there are little pieces of material in the cooler that will not come out. Any used cooler should be cleaned, and Pacific Oil Coolers is one of the few FAA certified places that can do it correctly. Just cleaning one out with the car wash sprayer won't work. They charge about 100 bucks to clean one.

I can't see cutting corners on a used cooler. How much do you spend on the engine? Buy a new one. I use Fluidyne coolers. Not cheap. But far better than any others I've seen. Of course it was 106 at my house yesterday. So, I need a serious cooler.

Previously, on my 351C car, I ran an earls cooler AND an in-radiator heat exchanger built in to my Ron Davis radiator. I saw no reduction in oil temps. Saw up to 30 degrees with the Flyuidyne DB600. It was the largest cooler I could find. parked it right in front of the radiator, with a small gap. Works good.

Dan

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Dano,
I fully agree with you that nobody should attempt to use a second hand aircraft oil cooler.
I bought three on the cheap from eBay but in my opinion they are useless unless you have them professionally cleaned and tested. The detritus from service is baked into the matrix and this required ultrasonic vibration and a chemical clean to remove (at great cost).
I had this done but did not trust the end results and ended up purchasing two new coolers from Pacific. I received substantial help there from Wayne who modified my coolers in manufacture by inletting nozzles into the tops prior to anodising.

James

Attachments

• COOLERS.jpg
    COOLERS.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 438

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
John,
These coolers were used on MKII's onwards.
I have now sold most of my original parts but I think I have some baseplates somewhere.
Send me a pm with your address.

Back