Ok, what about these tires? Mickey Thompson

Chuck

Supporter
Those tires have received favorable comments over at ClubCobra.com.

What is the speed rating and tread wear number?

Jim,
They will fit, but they are probably not much better than the bf goodrich radial TAs that came on the roller. Probably comparable to a Kumho which is not a bad tire. Cars under 2500lbs need VERY grippy tires to stick/corner well. I don't think Jegs/Summit list the tire durometer/wear specs, but when looking at tires on websites like tire rack etc, you can look at the specs. (what Chuck is referring to) Generally softer compound/high wear= sticky/track type tires. Keep lookin, Scott

Last edited:
Those tires have received favorable comments over at ClubCobra.com.

What is the speed rating and tread wear number?

I'll check Chuck. This was today's morning coffee pick! The have a more square edge than the vintage tire but they are a radial. What is the ultimate diameter size for the front and back for a vintage look? 26.5 in the back and 25.5 in the front?

Everyone talks about Kumho's but I never can find the sizes needed?

screw it... I bought the Avon's. Even though they are expensive, I feel better that this entire tire ordeal is behind me! What a pain!

Thanks Chuck. I feel good about it! I know they will be great tires but the aesthetic factor really weighted my decision. They are just too cool looking!

The Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R tires have an H speed rating, which is 'only' 130mph. I think they were created for old T-buckets and tub'ed out hot rods. I beleive they are the widest street tires on the market with an 18" width available. But those wide tires a really tall at 33".

I think they are geared more for the show market and are not really a performance tire... Any car that needs tires this big is going to get over 130mph pretty quickly....

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The Mickey Thompson S/R tires are based on an Avon casing (Cooper Tire owns both Avon and MT) but as noted are only 130 MPH rated. We have used the S/Rs on Cobras and had good performance and even decent wet use with them.

It seems the only really good choice for a 15" DOT legal tire is the Avon.

I spoke with one of the technicians at M/T and he said the same thing.. Not really a performance tire but for the street rod crowd. The ad said the same thing. I was hoping it would be the solve but they aren't for me. My car will be the gulf colors so the vintage look is pretty important to my eyes.

Hi Jim,
What type of Avons are you talking about? I am in the same process now and would like to get some inspiration!

Regards Paul

Back