Old Mk 2 pictures

I have been digging through my fathers old slides and I came across a couple pictures of the MK 2. I need some help with where the pics might have been taken.

Thanks in advance,

pat W

Attachments

• dads pics 001.jpg
    dads pics 001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 618
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 673
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 760

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The #140 car is a Mk I....the red car is definitley a Mk II.

Sorry, I can't help you with the location for the photos.

Cheers from Doug!

I will pick its 1047 & at Daytona in february 1967, entered by SAI & driven by Foyt/Gurney-- DNF in the race... now let the conjecture begin:)

The Black & White pic is chassis #102 @ Nurburgring in may 1964, driven by Phil Hill/Bruce McLaren, also DNF

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
The white one is a very early MK1 with the second front clip design.

The red one shows Alan Mann colors, I'm not sure about the MKII though. The front clip is MK1, and the motor sits very low (rear vision). Additionally, the front shot does not show the MKII rear scoops.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I looked again at the pix, the shot of the rear clip on the ground, it does have the MKII snorkle brake scoops but other than that it is a MKI body.

Could that be the last turn at Riverside?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
FORD

The first car shown on this great link looks like the car in the photos!! AM/GT1. Not a MKII.

The white one GT-102

Last edited:
It does look like Daytona coming into the keyhole or hairpin. A friend of mine thinks the other is in front of Holmans garage.

Here are some others and some spy sketches my mother drew and sent to her parents of the J car.

Thanks for the info I will keep digging.

pat W

Attachments

• 1965 karkraft j car.jpg
    1965 karkraft j car.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • mk 2 003.jpg
    mk 2 003.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 526
  • mk 2 005.jpg
    mk 2 005.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 483
  • mk 2 004.jpg
    mk 2 004.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 434

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pat,

Those are very interesting photos and drawings.

I think both the oval and road course at Daytona runs the other way (counter clock wise). Additionally, where is the outside wall?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,

Thats what I though, it could be the last turn at Riverside, but then we have the question why would this car be on the west coast?

Jac Mac,

Thats what I though, it could be the last turn at Riverside, but then we have the question why would this car be on the west coast?

Thats part of why I am picking 1047, in Spains book its the only FE powered car with the following ...it started life painted red & white, as an early MKII, with possibly a MK1 type rear clip with snorkels & of course SAI used Riverside as a test venue & also entered this car in its early events, ....what does not add up is the difference in the red/white colour scheme presented @ Le Mans... different from that on the above pics... however the use of the auto trans & Webers/FI clicks into the J2/Ken Miles fatality as Webers & Auto trans had/were apparently tested in that car also.

Doesnt 'look' to be room for webers under the tray beneath ram tubes in that pic, but could be wrong.

The first car is easy enough to figure out. The other car is probably AMGT1 or 2 being used as a MK2 test rig. It is most certainly a Mk1 with MK2 bolt ons like engine, coolers etc. It is a mk1 body and Allan Mann used Mk2 snorkles on his Mk1s. It still has a Mk1 rear substructure and the AM Mk1 hood pin mounts for the tail. It has the MK early tail release square hole in the roof. It also has a roll bar which dates it pretty late.

The track is not Daytona and thats not H & Ms shop

Very interesting pics and glad I got to see them.

Thanks, jay

I would say Jay has hit the nail on the head with one of the Alan Mann cars, In the pic attached enlarge it & you can see the ribs running lengthwise of the unclad sponsons & plus the 'flat' door panel without the lead in to the side scoop.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle x:num></TD><TD>
</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Ford GT MK.1</TD><TD class=xl26>AM/GT-1
aka
AMR/1
aka
AM/XGT-1</TD><TD>AM</TD><TD align=right x:num>1966</TD><TD align=middle>DNF</TD><TD>Sebring 12-Hour - Mar. 1966</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Picture of the Timken rig test of the t-44.

A friend of mine thinks Charlotte and Holmans garage at the track.

pat W

Attachments

• mk 2 001.jpg
    mk 2 001.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 485
  • mk 2 002.jpg
    mk 2 002.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 510
  • mk 2.jpg
    mk 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 480
I have collected a few old GT 40 books and magazines. In one of the book I do not realized that a photo was in it. One day while flipping through the book a RED GT40 photo dropped out from that book. Shown to someone and was told that many years ago there do have original GT40 car in New Zealand. Can any one identify the car on the photo?

LIM

Attachments

• img216.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 347
Hi Lim,

Yes I think that car ( 1078? ) was resident in NZ for a number of years when owned by one of the members of the group AC/DC ( Phil Rudd?). It resided in the Nth Island for several years before appearing at a Wings & Wheels meet @ Ardmore where a gatekeeper paid it the ultimate sacrilege & said something along the lines of 'just another kit car'.

It was subsequently sold to a UK gent who ran it in some of the early SFOS events, ( I watched it run & still have some pics somewhere of it at Dunedin Street Race ) before shipping it back home.

On the one pic of the garage the door window inside the building says competition prep, Thats Holmans slogan right? So that must be daytona.

pat W

Back