Ole Red

This is my favorite sweat shirt. It is hard to see how bad of condition this shirt is in. We have been through a lot together. I bought this shirt sometime around 1990. It has been put into a rag bag then pulled from certain death and put back into service during a cold day in the garage. It has been on fire during some welding incidents. It has every chemical in the shop spilled on it. It makes me look like I'm homeless and my wife is embarrassed by it's existence.

Why would I go through this history of a shirt on the gt forum? Its because when I wear this shirt, I feel good. It is absolutely full of great memories. There is no other shirt like it. There are very few things that make me feel like this old shirt does.

But there are some.

One Sunday an old friend showed up at my house. My other "Ole Red" Is back in the house!!!

For those that don't know this was one of the very first RCR GT40's to hit the road back in 2006 or 2007. I built this car with all the heart and soul you could put in a car. Together we won Run and Gun events and race on tracks across the mid west. It has been in many magazines and has proven to be a great example of a dual purpose replica.

The owner of the car asked me to take it for awhile and just cosmetically bring it back to the original show quality. When I sat in the seat of this car for the first time in years and hit the ignition all the memories came flooding back again. This car is still part of me and on the track we were inseparable. This is, by far, the best car I have ever had the privilege to guide around the track. It might not beat my SLC but it has a special connection with me that the SLC or any of my previous cobras or other GT40's never had.

Some of your know what I'm talking about. The car has aged a little but when I sit in the seat and listen it still speaks to me. Man I love this car.

So, just like that old red shirt, this car is special and probably always will be. I hope all of you can have at least one car in your life that you feel this strongly about.

I love having ole 33 back in my shop!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Initially when I read, "My other "Old Red" is back in the house!!!", I thought you'd bought the car back! And, judging from how excited you are about having the car at your place again, you'd best be careful! Whether you realize it or not, you're probably 'this close' to doing just that w/o knowing it! :D

Uuuuh...just out of curiosity, how 'understanding' is the lady of the house these days? :squint: :laugh4:

Your number 33 has acquired some hard earned patina. Surely you are not going to loose that sign of character when you refurb the car?

Hey Dean you dont know me but a friend of yours knows I am looking for a car and he said to tell u hello Bill Musarra in Atlanta GA If car is going up for sale please let me know Thank u John Runyan Milton GA Bill said it was a great car !!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have a sweat shirt from 89 and feel the same way.:) Also I've seen you in that car on the track, you were one with the car and did a kickass job of driving. Good for you!

We must all be like that. Find something comfortable, wear it in the shop and next thing you know it has a stain your wife can't get out. you won't allow her to throw it out, and next thing you know it becomes an old friend. I have an old blue Myrtle Beach sweat shirt from the year my daughter graduated from college(03?). It was unusually cool and windy that June and bought it just to stay warm. It stays in the shop and I wear it anytime I need sleeves for welding painting or whatever. Especially in the winter. Speaking of which, being sidelined with recent minor surgery, I am going to get back into my solar adventures and build some for the shop. Easy to do, cost nothing and saves money on the electric bills this winter.

Bill

Larry, I have an incredibly understanding wife to a point. There is so much stuff in the garage now, I told my wife I needed a lift to start stacking the cars. She thought it might be a good idea to order a cot as well! :shocked:

Colin, I am not a fan of patina. I do, however, have a wall of shame that the busted stuff will hang on for eternity. Everything from thrown rods and melted pistons to a busted SLC front end. All good memories of a new lesson learned the hard way.

John, I have known Bill about as long as I have known anyone on the forum. He saw this car come together right here on the forum. I hope to touch base with him or you this weekend.

Jack, It would be just amazing to get some track time with you and swap some stories of those "lessons learned the hard way!"

The car really doesn't need much. It just needs cleaned up. Maybe a wire tie here and there or whatever. I'll post some more pictures this weekend.

It's good to here from you guys again. It's been too long!

That's an easy one. Think Plastidip. Then if the new owner(or old) didn't like it,,,, just peel it off!

Bill

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U32It5-muSc]Vintage Gold Plasti Dip Wheels - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj68Jji57w8]Does PlastiDip Really Peel Off?? - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdCtzxkER7k]What is Plasti Dip? DipYourCar.com Intro Video for Channel - YouTube[/ame]

The other option would be to put the gold wheels back on!

I have two sets with the car. I used to run the 17in gold rims with R6 tires and the black rims with street tires. The gold rims a a new set of hoosiers on them right now.

I have used the plastidip on My jeep and the whole black section on the front of the SLC was plastidiped. Stuff is fantastic.

On the topic of Plastidip.... I did my entire car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 215
Back