original GT40 Sbarro

Andrew,

You mentioned that Superformance is allowed to go Historic racing in Europe, but does that also include entry in the Le Mans Classic?

Mark

Entry yes - participation maybe not - I believe Le Mans Classic like Goodwood use historic criteria to select entries (which have been stretched to cover certain Sbarros)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think need to delete this post
I do not believe that I have a real Gt40, just a genuine Sbarro
thank you

Costa has sent me a PM asking me to delete his posts on this subject. I am somewhat reluctant to do so since there is absolutely no shame in owning a Sbarro or any other replica. Costa's car may be one of the original Sbarro cars that was built and that is just fine. If there is one thing I have learned in my years of hanging out here - There are many positive aspects associated with each and every manufacturers offerings and Sbarro is certainly right there.

So Costa and guys, I think this may be a good place to hear more about Sbarro offerings. If you have some positive content, please feel free to add it here.

Costa in the process of recreating your Sbarro, you may want to consider opening up a new tread in the build log forum here:
GT40 Build Logs - GT40s.com

there is absolutely no shame in owning a Sbarro or any other replica. Costa's car may be one of the original Sbarro cars that was built and that is just fine.

I'm helping a little bit Serge (Costa) to complete his car, as some parts are missing.
I can attest that it is really superb, the quality of the mono tub is second to none and many original GT40 parts were used to build the car. I wish I own such a beauty...
Many work to be done on it, but it worth it, no doubt !

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I second what Pierre says. I saw the tub some years ago and it is every bit as good as some other manufacturers of mono tubs. After all, Sbarro was no fool, though he did manage to fool some so called GT40 experts along the way, into the bargain.
I'm not sniffy, infact i think Sbarro's shinanigans almost add to the myth of the GT40. In my opinion, rouges add a bit of spice to the mix.
So please keep us well informed about the finish of this build.
I for one, would be very disappointed if Costa felt he had to curtail his postings.

Keith

I agree. Whatever the dark side of his history, he was (is) a genius automotive engineer. Some of his creations are breathtaking...

Costa, please keep us in the loop.. :thumbsup:

I agree. Whatever the dark side of his history, he was (is) a genius automotive engineer. Some of his creations are breathtaking...

Costa, please keep us in the loop.. :thumbsup:
thank you keith
I used a translator to write to you, I escuse if it is not understandable:furious:
At the moment I'm together the pieces that I miss, suppliers are: Cushman competition (U.S.) and Andrew (england)
wheels are restored, the radiator restored, I have received a set of parts but it still lacks a lot. I prepared the rest of the order, I also received the wheel motolita (thank you jill Rosentall) J 'waiting to get all the parts for reassembly and started as the sun returns because it is cold in my garage.Je a search engine ford 302 carburetor stroke 362 500cv weber about IDA and ZF box used but in very good condition.
To reassemble I want to know is what place Androit circuit exactly and brake line
thank you to you all

Merci keith
Je me sert d'un traducteur pour vous écrire ,je m’excuse si cela est pas très compréhensible
Pour le moment je suis en train de rassemblé les pièces qui me manquent,les fournisseurs sont : Cushman competition (US):et Andrew (angleterre)
les roues sont restauré ,le radiateur restauré ,j'ai déjà reçus une partit des pièces mais il en manque encore beaucoup .j'ai préparé le reste de la commande,J'ai aussi reçus le volant motolita (merci jill Rosentall)J'attends de recevoir toute les pièces pour commencé le remontage et aussi que le soleil revienne car il fait froid dans mon garage.Je recherche un moteur ford 302 stroke 362 environ 500cv carburateur weber IDA et une boite ZF d'occasion mais en très bon état.
Pour le remontage je voudrai savoir a quel endroit passe la circuit électrique exactement et les canalisation de frein
merci a vous tous

Attachments

• jantas 005.jpg
    jantas 005.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 419
  • jantas 006.jpg
    jantas 006.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 431
  • pièces GT40 001.jpg
    pièces GT40 001.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 418
  • pièces GT40 003.jpg
    pièces GT40 003.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 446
  • pièces reçu des US 001.jpg
    pièces reçu des US 001.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 438
  • pièces reçu des US 003.jpg
    pièces reçu des US 003.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 422
I'm helping a little bit Serge (Costa) to complete his car, as some parts are missing.
I can attest that it is really superb, the quality of the mono tub is second to none and many original GT40 parts were used to build the car. I wish I own such a beauty...
Many work to be done on it, but it worth it, no doubt !

Pierre-Louis helps me a lot without him not ordered parts
and he knows many details about genuine GT40
thank you very much Pierre-Louis:worried:

Pierre-Louis m'aide beaucoup sans lui impossible de commandé les pièces
et il connait beaucoup de détails sur les authentique GT40
merci beaucoup Pierre-Louis

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Serge,

That looks like a very well put together tub and the parts "look right", please keep us involved with your build. I think being a "real Sabarro" adds greatly to your cars appeal!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Gentlemen,

I am going to move this thread over to the build logs...
Thanks for sticking with us Costa.. Your build will be very nice indeed..

Bravo Serge, continue, l'essentiel est d'avoir la passion, tout le monde n'a pas les moyens de ce payer un vraie GT40 et comme certains le disent à juste titre sur les post, une Sbarro fait partie de l'histoire des GT40, même si d'autres préfèreraient cacher cette partie nébuleuse de l'histoire, mais on ne refait pas l'histoire!
Et puis Franco Sbarro a quand même été un grand mécanicien sur les vraies GT40 à l'époque, il était là alors qu'on y était pas!
Bonne chance pour ta resto-construction!

Serge ,

Un bonjour de Nice ou je continue ma construction à une vitesse d'escargot obstiné!

Je n'avais pas encore vu ta rubrique Sbarro ...; Bravo de te lancer sur GT40.com et je ne doute pas que connaissant ton énergie tu va bientôt pouvoir dialoguer sans aide en anglais parfait !

Il est étonnant de voir comment le nom de Franco Sbarro déclenche des réactions passionnées ....

Dans tous les cas, bon travail et à un ces jours ..

"Welcome from Nice where my build is going on at a determined snail speed!

I had not seen yet your Sbarro thread ...; Congratulation to post on GT40s.com , and any doubt that , knowing your energy , your will be soon able to exchange fluent enghish without help!

It is amazing to see how Franco Sbarro name induces passionnated reactions ....

Anyway, keep on the track, and see you soon ."

René

After getting some flack for my original post about my "original GT40 Sbarro" I had decided to step away from the post for a while. I recently saw that I have received some nice feedback and encouragement on my project, so to thank the people who have done that, here are some updates on the Sbarro.

As a quick overview of the car, it spent 15 years in a garage around Dijon after the owner scared himself several times on track, at Dijon. It was bought in 2007 by a friend, then the car was taken a part for a rebuild. The engine and ZF were sold during that time. That owner abandon the project for 5 years until it arrived in my garage in 2012.

After inventory of the missing pieces, identification of the parts (original "oem" parts or aftermarket), and lots of research, the rebuild finally started. Before I continue, I would like to thank my friend Pierre-Louis (Marseille, France), and Anraud (Chicago, USA) who helped me lot in researching the parts and hunting down parts. Without their help I would have also abandon this daunting project due to the difficulties in finding the correct parts, ordering parts, etc… I do not speak english (This post was translated by Arnaud)

I bought for my car parts that are "oem" for that car or have been recognized as original parts for that era and car. These were mostly bought from Jay Cushman and Andrew of GT40Gloldparts.com Thank you to them, although we had some difficulties with Jay, as it is difficult to get a response from him and timely shipping, mostly due to his busy race schedule and such.

As of today, a lot of pieces are in place. I will post some photos soon for the ones who are interested. To bring this car back to life has been a challenging but truly rewarding. The Sbarro chassis is one impressive quality part.

Thank you to all.

Friends have been created to help ! ;) Just frustrated never have turned any wrench on it, and put some of its holy grease on my white hands.

The pictures won't give justice to the quality of your work:shrug:. Within few months now, this car will be one of the most beautiful I've ever see. :stunned:
Splendid job !

here are some photos, bad news today, the rim is restored maunque material, it is too thin, so buying 4 rim BRM 1968 version

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 491
  • IMGP0005.JPG
    IMGP0005.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMGP0006.JPG
    IMGP0006.JPG
    381.8 KB · Views: 491
  • IMGP0008.JPG
    IMGP0008.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMGP0009.JPG
    IMGP0009.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 455
Ford 364 engine 520 hp
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmOZMj4vLnM]347 Dyno run - 347 Banc d'essai - YouTube[/ame]

Back