Original MK1 GT40 for sale; Bill&Bob Thread

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Original MK1 GT40 for sale

I just got back from India... spent a couple weeks wandering around in Dehli.

Keith

FUBAR. You got that right Bill. COPD is my millstone...

You have a fascinating history mate :thumbsup:

FUBAR. You got that right Bill. COPD is my millstone...

You have a fascinating history mate :thumbsup:

Thank you,Colonel..
I hope you are well.Advair and Spireva suck.To our cohort from NZ! I've only been there twice.Once in late 70,s.And once in the mid 80,s.On my boat the first time.I'm trying to remember where without cheating.We were gunkholing Australia,Tonga,NZ and the Tasman Sea.I think we anchored in Long Gulf and a place called Haratoumi Bay.I'm positive that's gotta be spelled wrong..Auckland was like a 100 little towns all strung togetherI'm an Atlantic Ocean guy.Pirates and pollution and 900ft long tankers with nobody on the bridge at 3am going 25 Kts..The second time I flew in.That is without a doubt the most beautiful country on the planet.I lived on and off in Telluride Co. for years and I thought it was nice but nothing like.NZ.Kinda like Norway.Unattractive women are not permitted to live there.
I drove my new car today.Un Effing Believable.We've been detuning it.It's got KKB?? headers and the Lysholm is putting out 18 lbs.It's got Hallibrands with real centerpin knock-offs.A little black adapter plate goes on the hubs. Magnesium console.2 three inch straight pipes.Power windows and AC!!No cupholders I could find.Oh well.This engine is so cool I feel like taking it apart.It's in our shop about 1/4 mile from the house.I put soft compound slicks on it and took it out on the country roads.INCREDIBLE.I took pics on my wifes phone,trying to figutr out how to download.I'll take my camera in the morning.It takes a lotta car to get my attention..I can't shut up and go to sleep.Between the Republicans and the car,I'm wired...
Where do you put the front lis. plate???

I am guessing here Bill, but it might be Long Bay in the Hauraki Gulf, some pics here to help jog the memory... I'm from down south bottom of the South Island, only been to Auckland once, no real desire to go back!

Attachments

• slide1-harataongabeach-grea.jpg
    slide1-harataongabeach-grea.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 229
  • bg-long-bay-home.jpg
    bg-long-bay-home.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 244
  • bg-long-bay-retail.jpg
    bg-long-bay-retail.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 231
I am guessing here Bill, but it might be Long Bay in the Hauraki Gulf, some pics here to help jog the memory... I'm from down south bottom of the South Island, only been to Auckland once, no real desire to go back!

That's it!!I came sorta close.After 40 years I'm proud of myself,considering I can't remember what I had for lunch.From the plane it was beautiful.On the boat it was a lotta work.Pre gps and outdated charts.Lotta coral reefs.Auckland was the only place we went.I prefer the Atlantic.
I've been messing with the car all day.Can't go to sleep.My wife wanted to drive it.After about 20 minutes I told her to pull over and she said"no,I'm okay,I like this".She had a vette and she wouldn't let anybody drive it.She locked herself out of it 3 times with the motor running.She finally traded it for a Toyota Landcruiser.She seriously wanted a Hummer but I talked her out of it.
That middle pick looks like what I remember..You still live on a farm?

You should be, Maori names are another language. Yes, if you can call 30 acres a farm, nice and peaceful for when things get stressfull in the w/shop, I only have to walk a 100 yards and the shop is out of sight! Younger brother still has the family farm, I always had the mechanical twist from early teens, probably earlier when I think about it. Worked in an outfit importing V8 stuff ex USA thru seventies and got a crash course on Shelby/Boss stuff etc as my boss was then a Ford guy, he got his arm twisted by some USA folk to run chevvies, I built his first Chev & then pulled the pin to work on my own, have to do most stuff yourself in this neck o the woods and ended up doing all stuff, jet boats, dirt track cars plus road & rally race cars, been interesting to say the least, still got some customer stuff to finish, then make some real progress on all the projects I have started.

You should be, Maori names are another language. Yes, if you can call 30 acres a farm, nice and peaceful for when things get stressfull in the w/shop, I only have to walk a 100 yards and the shop is out of sight! Younger brother still has the family farm, I always had the mechanical twist from early teens, probably earlier when I think about it. Worked in an outfit importing V8 stuff ex USA thru seventies and got a crash course on Shelby/Boss stuff etc as my boss was then a Ford guy, he got his arm twisted by some USA folk to run chevvies, I built his first Chev & then pulled the pin to work on my own, have to do most stuff yourself in this neck o the woods and ended up doing all stuff, jet boats, dirt track cars plus road & rally race cars, been interesting to say the least, still got some customer stuff to finish, then make some real progress on all the projects I have started.

Used to ship a lotta stuff to Aus.Last one was a 66 GT 350 H.Mustang.Hertz rent a rocket.We'd put em in containers in LA.They used to be easy to find.Everything's so expensive now.My pickup is in the shop.30 K miles and it needs injectors and a seal between tranny and transfer case.Get it back today.Chevy junk.
Went to the doc yesterday.Ct scan and x-rays.Broken shoulder and back.Told me it was time to stop walking,even with crutches.A month,2 months,I'll be paralyzed.I ain't gonna wreck this GT,I just want one more open road.Montana,Colorado,San Diego,NY,all of it.I'm taking my dog.I wouldn't hurt him for the world.I can function without the meds if I'm working on something line the GT.If I lay in bed I get worse.Love the gas cap.One hand.I got boxes of parts with it.Whipple supercharger,FRPP brakes.I'd like to get it back to 20 mpg.
When I'm done I'll bring him home and figure out what to do;Maybe the Harley.It's a 57 I bought in 67.Worked on a garbage truck in NYC all summer to buy it in a basket for 800 bucks.I was 15.
I can't seem to shut up.I never say anything.Sorry.

You keep it up my friend - you're doing fine...:thumbsup:

Appreciate it.Iknow I keep babbling.I'm sorry.I've had a lotta fun.A lot of good things to remember.Never thought about it before.I hope you hang in there,Colonel.The sound of that O2 machine was like fingernails on a blackboard to me.
in the 80,s I got the best compliment I ever got.I was driving a 959 for a privateer team in the B Gruppe series.Me,the owner,my mechanic and my fancy new navigator from Finland and our wives/girlfriends went to a big fancy restaurant.I said you look great to my wife.The owner complimented his wife?(she was 19) too.My mechanics wife said "you never say anything nice to me".He said "You don't sweat much for a fat girl".I can still feel the wine and Zabaglione coming out my nose.
We took off and my new guy was all full of directions for the first day,with his big aluminum clipboard full of crap.About noon he shut up and white knuckled the roll bar.He kept on slamming his right foot on the floor.This went on for like 5 days.We hit a goat and it went about 50 feet in the air.Thank God for Lexan and the spare tire strapped to the hood.People in these little towns would stand in the road and throw wine bottles at you.When we finished this guy gets out of the car and says"That was the best driving I've ever seen in my life and I will never get in a car with you again".He meant it.He just split.Never saw him again.Don't know if he got paid.You remember the stupidest things.

See ya,NZ..Be well,Colonel.
does anybody know whatever became of #p1007.White w/blue livery?#15&45 FIA&SCCA ?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Bill, I've been around here for a long time and you............my friend, if I may say so, are the funniest bloke yet! This thread has become my first read the day. Post some pictures of your adventures if you can. Now that would be interesting. Especially one of the mechanic's wife.

See ya,NZ..Be well,Colonel.
does anybody know whatever became of #p1007.White w/blue livery?#15&45 FIA&SCCA ?

If this is the actual car it would appear that it is in france and appeared at the 2013 Goodwood revival.. these pics from 'Jimmy Mac' and 'Sundude'. Thread was titled -GT40's @ Goodwood Revival 2013-

According to the Ronnie Spain book car has been around a bit, got fitted with a 427 @ one point, Sbarro also had a play which could be a worry!

Gotta hand it to your mechanic, possibly said it as it was!:)

Attachments

• attachment1.jpg
    attachment1.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 293
Doctors told me if I turned my head wrong I was paralyzed or dead.Whats to like?
Ours had much darker markings,maybe black?Can't remember.I began looking for pic,s.My wife and kid started on the attic.I can't get up there.So far we're on boxes of Show Horse pics.They discuss every one of them.
We had a Gurney Eagle 302.Supposed to be their Indy motor.Oh boy,round and round in an oval.Like being on a desert island with Kim Bassinger and you can't get your pants off.We had a 289 in a crate,don't know if it came from Romeo,or Shelby,or England.Tony the mechanic said something about a 255 or 252 or something.I never saw it.No big block,not when I was there.It had a metal patch pop riveted on the fender,about 6 in by 6in.Figured it was a fuel filler that didn't work out or something.That picture above isn't mine.$25,000 on the showroom floor.My wife at the time said if I bought it,she was going back to Boston,cause I had just bought the Lusso.I did.She did.
When she left she backed her MG B into the Ferrari.Class act.
Very first time I put it on the road a turd brown Lambo Muira S pulled up next to me.We got on the NY Thruway.Passed some cops under a bridge.They never came after us.When we got off in Kingston,the toll guy was laughing and looking at the time stamped ticket.

Last edited:
That patch would have been on LHS over that LH tank filler port, at Le Mans only the RHS filler was used as tanks had a crossover pipe fitted. The Blue Stripes etc would have been a dark blue, not like the colours on pic above which was taken last year. From what I can research car had 289 while raced in early years and I would suggest that it has one again now for originality as the 427 was fitted at a point in time where originality was not a factor plus its possible that it did not have the matching T44 along with all the other pieces to make it a MKII clone.. Car is at 'Museum of Loheac', pics taken from a French website with info about that car... to find the website I just typed in [ GT40P-1007 ] on uncle google!

Attachments

• 1007_lemans.jpg
    1007_lemans.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 1007_plaque.jpg
    1007_plaque.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
That patch would have been on LHS over that LH tank filler port, at Le Mans only the RHS filler was used as tanks had a crossover pipe fitted. The Blue Stripes etc would have been a dark blue, not like the colours on pic above which was taken last year. From what I can research car had 289 while raced in early years and I would suggest that it has one again now for originality as the 427 was fitted at a point in time where originality was not a factor plus its possible that it did not have the matching T44 along with all the other pieces to make it a MKII clone.. Car is at 'Museum of Loheac', pics taken from a French website with info about that car... to find the website I just typed in [ GT40P-1007 ] on uncle google!

Thanks jac!!!!
You're doing my remembering for me.It was dark blue,and they were doing all kinds of stuff with gas tanks at the time,because of horrible fires,in the cars and the pits.Instead of 5 gal. dumper cans you just stuck in the filler neck,they were experimenting with aircraft or F1type.You stuck the hose in and hooked a vacuum line to the other side.Back then,no data logging,etc.The only way the crew knew anything was what the driver told them.We had a 1/2 inch wrench taped to a steering wheel spoke so you could get it off your lap.We had a tube sticking in your helmet so you could get one deep breath of air that wasn't burning.Experimenting with Halon,but a head full of that was not cool.
I knew a guy,lived in Fort Lee,NJ.on Glen rd.In 1970,71 He was wanting to build kit GT 40,s and AC Cobras.He was driving an Orange Bricklin.He wanted me to go in on it with him.I brought the GT over to his house to show it to him,but his Grandma said he wasn't home.I had an AC Cobra 289 for three days.It got wrecked.It's an Italian name,I WILL remember it.I wonder if one of these guys is him.

Gimme 24 hrs & I will check out name of that guy wanting to do GT40/Cobra/Daytona replicas, rings bell in the grey matter....IIRC he got the Daytona done, not sure about the GT40, think he found a Daytona undergoing restoration or repair that he was able to take a 'splash' off.

Gimme 24 hrs & I will check out name of that guy wanting to do GT40/Cobra/Daytona replicas, rings bell in the grey matter....IIRC he got the Daytona done, not sure about the GT40, think he found a Daytona undergoing restoration or repair that he was able to take a 'splash' off.

There was a guy in the 60,s,70,s in Jersey that had three Daytona,s all fresh from the track.Cobra,s,not Ferrari,s.I was trying to talk him out of one.I went there one afternoon and the place was empty.DEA,FBI,ABC,DDT,They all shows up to get this guy.Turns out he was a BIG time smuggler and money launderer for his Colombian friends.Never found out what happened to the cars and didn't want to ask.
Palermo,Marzigliano,Calabrese,I just can't remember.He had a great big pool and his cousin Nino lived behind him and I think worked for him.
Jackie Ickyx drove with Bob and somebody else,Hulme.I guess I could look it up.Probably put the 302 in there for the street.The big blocks were too much for the MK I,s,Twisting that early honeycomb chassis to shreds.
If you're a doctor,Jimbo,I apologize.Nothing personal.I've seen so many........

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There was a guy in the 60,s,70,s in Jersey that had three Daytona,s all fresh from the track.Cobra,s,not Ferrari,s.I was trying to talk him out of one.I went there one afternoon and the place was empty.DEA,FBI,ABC,DDT,They all shows up to get this guy.Turns out he was a BIG time smuggler and money launderer for his Colombian friends.Never found out what happened to the cars and didn't want to ask.
Palermo,Marzigliano,Calabrese,I just can't remember.He had a great big pool and his cousin Nino lived behind him and I think worked for him.

Larry Megibow and the "Glass Car Company"

Back