Original Parts Contact

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
(who is information removed by moderator)

all of which reminds me of

(URL removed by moderator)

for some reason....:lipsrsealed:

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Gents - please do not post "who is" information in the clear / open forums here or anywhere else on GT40s.com .. Thanks.

Ron Earp

Admin
Guys, one of the admins correctly removed it. The owner of the business mistakenly left some old information in WHOIS. He does not want folks contacting his relatives trying to purchase GT40 parts. He'll straighten it out shortly and he will be posting all the correct information.

Thanks,
Ron

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
It would seem to be a reflection on you.

I don't think so. Three points:

1. I am unaware that providing WHOIS results, or any other completely public information, is a violation of forum rules. Perhaps the FAQ should be updated to reflect this new rule.
  2. To those of you owning internet domains like Andrew's, the domain registrar publsihes, for very good reasons, the contact information you provided at the time of registration. If you don't want that information published there are ways to hide it which you should discuss with your registrar.
  3. If you fail to hide it, it's YOUR fault if the information goes to somewhere you did not want it. Wlecome to the internet.
PS: some unsolicited web marketing advice: I don't do business via web sites with no phone number and physical address.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
All,

I deleted the information posted here.

Why? Because it was information that was never meant to be shared. Moreover - just because information may be publically available (such as Whois for web sites, and even the telephone directory) that does not mean that it's a good idea to post this information in the clear here at GT40s or really any other repository thatis available to the public.

As my day job, I manage the enterprise data warehouse for one of the largest financial services organizations in the USA. That warehouse has some of the most confidential information on more than 1/3 of the population. I deal with data privacy and the securitization of information daily.

The collection and dissemination of personal information is a very serious business. No one wants their information out in the open.

In this case there was a mistake made by not securing the information.

Making this information available because one felt that it was totally appropriate since the data was publically available was one thing.
Leaving that information out there once understanding that it was made available by mistake is an entirely separate matter.

Be careful with your information there are data wolves out there and they are hungry..

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Fwiw I completely agree with Randy's decision to delete that info. I regret having (further) disseminated info Andrew did not want public in the first place, and would not have done so had I known he wanted it kept private. And Randy's right. Think really hard before typing NPI (non public info) into a web browser if you aren't already sure it will be kept private.

It's a complex world selling on the web...you need to create a separate commercial identity to keep th data wolves out of your private life; not a decision to take lightly and I admire people like Andrew who are willing to take that on in order to provide the rest of us with high-quality stuff. More power to him!

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Alan & Randy,

Many thanks for your understanding.
Now i understand what info is available through sites such as whois, i have taken steps to secure my private info.
It has always been my aim to become a sponsoring vendor here and i had contacted Ron some 10 days or so ago. He's been busy, but we finally had a chat so thats the route i will pursue.
You will see from my website that i've concentrated more on fixtures and fittings, leaving suspension, engine parts to the big boys.
I'd honestly appreciate any feedback from you guys, even criticism.
Several new items are in the pipeline and i hope they will to appear on the site around christmas time.

To those of you owning internet domains like Andrew's, the domain registrar publsihes, for very good reasons, the contact information you provided at the time of registration. If you don't want that information published there are ways to hide it which you should discuss with your registrar.

Another way to do this is to register the domain by proxy using a service such as domainproxy.com

A lot of bloggers use this type of service to protect themselves, especially when they maybe work in the industry they are blogging on i.e. commenting on cycling when working for a pro team

Back