Original Race Car Transporters

My Boss 302 and transporter...

Attachments

• Boss 302 and Hauler.jpg
    Boss 302 and Hauler.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 956
Jim,
Thanks for this, I remember this and worked the race for SCCA.

But here is a confession I've never made in 42 years . . . After the race I was walking toward the s/f line from the outer pit area and noticed a lonely figure walking along w/ the typical wild bear Denny Hulme helmet hair. Very few people around, but some asked for autographs. The only thing I had was my pit pass and so joined the three or four folks congratulating and seeking autographs. As Mr. Hulme signed my pit pass I noticed his burned hands and the horrible scars and have always felt bad about putting those hands to work. Mr. Hulme was courteous to all, genuinely humble, I thought. A true gentleman.

I remember going to Laguna Seca, early Friday morning before the 1970 Can Am race.

Team McLaren pulled in, remember, this was just after Bruce's death, but they were always well prepared.

They came in two white Chevy pickups, with plain aluminum bed covers. There was a M8D on a trailer behind each (no covers, just orange beauties), a spare nose on top of one pickup one and a spare tail on the other.

One pickup carried tools & wheels, the other spare motors..............Not to impressive, yet they ruled all.

My friend Doug and I helped them unload, and later in the day, when they roped off their pit area, they let us stay inside. We made ourselfs useful getting food and coffee. Tyler Alexander was a good guy, and it was quite a weekend.

Denny had burned hands from an Indy accident and Peter Gethin crashed, but Denny still won. All in all a great memory.

Hey all,

we have actualy seen one of those Volkner motorhomes with a wiesmann in it's belly, it was at the Spay municpal campsite at 24H le-mans 2009 I think. You wouldn't believe the owner, one of the cheapest campsites and a multi milion dollar campervan... I think they actually watches most of the 24H on the bigscreen inside, with aircon running mental on the roof.

Anyway I heared that Matra had some Citroen HY transporters back in their glory days. (anyone got piccie's perhaps?)

I actually have this one, can you picture a T70 spider on a trailer behind it? the combination would not match in regard of makes, but period wise it's correct.
The camper needs a roofrack for the wets and petrol-cans though..... and some texaco stickers maybe?

I Would love to have some more european pictures of racecar transporters, expecially renault and citroen (ie the french in general) had the crasiest stuff driving around.

grtz Thomas

Attachments

• 19 juni 2011 039.jpg
    19 juni 2011 039.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 513
hire my lola race car hauler.the trailer selfmade
gruß olf

Attachments

• Chevy Pickup Hauler.JPG
    Chevy Pickup Hauler.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 428
  • P1020386.JPG
    P1020386.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 402

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That's WAY COOL Olf. I love the Lola, and the transporter looks great also.
Great work !!
Regards Brian

Back