Origins of replica manufacturers??

I,m fairly new here and thought this might be some help to others. Looking for info regarding history of GT40 replica manufacturers. Sort of like a family tree, or who begot whom. It seems that tooling and molds have changed hands in many cases. This info would be useful in identifying sources for everyone.

Let me begin with the body i am currently updating. In the 70's Kellison manufactured a kit for a VW pan, then updated by LA Exotics, now with Melsonmotorsport in Colorado. Can any one fill in for KVA,INTEGRTY ? , or others ??
confused.gif

I apologize for not answering your question with this post.

See Ron? See what I said over in that other thread? This is an example!

No argument, not a retaliatory strike, but a (rather timely, thanks Steve B!) example of what I was talking about over here.

Your pal,
Meat.

I'm trying to identify some sort of heritage for everyone. Not just ons peticuliar manufacturer. If part from new suppliers will fit older, or time line of manufacturers. Hey, MIke Bangor Pa is just down the road. If you have a T-3 then you should be interestd in WWW.Kellisoncars.com this site shows the origin of that body.
tongue.gif
I'd be interested in more info on your project.

Ron Earp

Admin
Meat, I get the point and understand.

But I've got a feeling there are two groups that will emerge - a group that works with the Avengers, Integrity, AASP, LA Exotics, Lone Star, T3, and rebodies - and a group that works with ERA, RF, CAV, Sabre, DRB, NZ, GTD, and any other forthcoming replicas similar to these.

This board is intended for the latter, but by no means are we keeping people out. It is just they might get more info on other boards as I doubt the average CAV or ERA buyer knows much about Avengers in any technical detail.

You may be right about customers that upgrade, but this has been discussed before and the concensus is the best path to take is to purchase a used GTD or similar high quality replica and go from there. This is mentioned in the other thread you've referenced.

Ron

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Steve

Anytime you'd like to see my T-3 you are welcome. Essentially, nothing is close
to a GT40 in fitment or dimensions or ...

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
I've not seen the T3, but I've been told from people that it isn't close. MikeDD, I thought you had something else...

I did have early T3 brochures before they went out of business or changed hands, but the dimensions seemed off. They were a little spotty when called too, not giving clear answers to a lot of technical questions.

Ron

G

KVA (England) was the first (?) manufacture to ever produce a GT40 replica, they sold out to

Integrity (Florida) which subsequently sold out to

Sabre (Florida) which continued with only the Mark III and sold the Mark 1 stuff to other companies, including

GT Legends (Iowa), who are in developement right now.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Kalun D ]

Obviously there are several different sets of body molds now in use, and probably none are 100% accurate to the original.

And of course we've seen dozens of different
chassis designs over the years, with many
owners frequently "tweaking" the suspension, brakes, etc as they go along.

There are probably very
few GT40's built completely the same,
which is both good and bad.
Good in that you can tailor the car to your
own personal preferences, and bad since
a poorly executed car can unfairly form
a negative opinion about a specific manufacturer.

So when we discuss kit origins, keep in mind
that the final product may be quite different
from the "original".

Thanks to Kalun for giving some direction here. This is the type of info that might be helpful to some with older cars. There are others that have also come and gone. Both here in US and in UK. Anymore info re;manufacturers would be great.

Mike lists a good point re;changes made by subsequent manufacturers but there are still older cats needing parts and in some cases support to complete.

grin.gif
Would be interested in your car, as it is from similar origins as mine. Contact me by e mail, yours is not in profile.

Thanks Steve
grin.gif
wink.gif

Brian Magee

Supporter
Steve B, this has given me an idea.

If any one has information on the history of GT40 replicas in Great Britain, please e-mail it to me and I will collate it together and prepare an article for Fortyfication (the magazine of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club).

Brian.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor Legate covers the early evolution of replicas in his book: GT40: Production and Racing History: Individual Chassis Records

As I recall New Zealand Classic Car magazine documented the NZ GT40 Replication body back to a set of KVA molds with a newly engineered chassis.

I don't know for sure what the true history might be but my uderstanding of the KVA is the same as Kalun's plus I have been told that GTD was a spin off of KVA after some disagreement between the principals. In addition if you look at the Tornado there are very distinct similarites between it and the GTD. In addition I think you all know of the original tie in of CAV and GTD,however CAV are making their own car now - even though there seems to be some similarities between the current CAV monocoque and GTD Racing's latest creation as seen in Roy Smarts car. The web gets pretty tangled. I hope the people on this forum can sort it all out.

Back