Pete B's Build Thread

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Funny thing happened today. I was out in the garage and a car passes buy, then locks up the tires stopping so fast. The guy backs up and parks, gets out and walks up my drive and says, 'I heard about some guy building a crazy red kit car, and I saw it driving by - there it is! I gotta stop and see it!'

I had a guy do that once. Locked up his brakes, literally parks in the middle of the street and he and his kids pop out to come check out the car. Weird but flattering.

How unbelievably rude. I hope you kicked his obnoxious ass off your property Pete.

I don't think it's rude. Car guys are car guys and we love to check stuff out. You don't get cars like these and expect to not get some attention. As long as there not walking into your garage without permission or being pushy in general I have no problem talking car. Had a guy follow me in my Shelby for 10 miles to Walmart to take a peak at the car. That was a little on the weird side but he was an elderly guy so I was happy to give him a tour. I know Ive, walked up to more than a few driveways and politely asked to see some cars.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Several people walking by have stopped at my drive, 'nice car' they say, 'can I have a look?' or 'take a picture' never pushy. I always learn some interesting background story. Yesterday a vw car salesman followed me to the filling station in the village to get a better look. Mostly amusing and with a genuine interest.

I have a rather short driveway, and lots of people walk dogs, jog, etc in the neighborhood. I am known as the "car guy" by all the neighbors in the area. Not uncommon to get people stopping in the street to take a look at whatever project I have at the time. It is flattering, but it can make it hard to stay on track especially when you are right in the middle of something working on it. Not to mention, it can make you a target for unsavory people. Most of the time I keep garage closed while working on it.
It is a double edged sword for me. I am not a big fan of the attention since it can make it hard to enjoy the car when everyone is asking questions, pics, video, and running you off the road while looking at it. But, you don't want to be known as an a-hole either. I gets tiring to tell the same story again and again and again about motor, what it is, what you have done. I guess thats just the price that ya gotta pay!

Being out in public requires patience and common courtesy, but that should end at your property line. What would you say if some guy driving by saw your wife headed out to the back yard to sunbathe and locked up the brakes so he could come up the driveway to tell you how nice she looked in her swimsuit? I think I know the answer to that one and will summarily rest my case.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Just got a call from the Highway Patrol that my VIN tags are ready! Scheduled for 9am on Monday to get them installed and then I can get my title and registration. :D:pepper::thumbsup:

Pete, What are you planning for the front license plate? I have yet to see anybody's solution to this problem, and as Ohioans its an ugly necessity for us.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
It'll fit on the front next to the brake duct if you bend the plate a bit. I haven't figured out how to attach it though. I don't really want to put holes in the body there.

Congratulations Pete!!

I plan on doing the same thing with the license plate. IL probably use mounting posts. Maybe give it some rake for downforce ;)

A.J.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, What are you planning for the front license plate? I have yet to see anybody's solution to this problem, and as Ohioans its an ugly necessity for us.

Check with your state's licensing dept and see if there's an 'exception'/'exemption' provision for cars that come from the factory with no provision for a front plate.

Washington State has one...at least it DID when I checked on that about 10 years ago.

Back