Pete B's Build Thread

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I've been having overheating problems, so ordered some Maradyne fans that Allan recommended, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mar-m122k

Stock fan on the right, new fan on the left. It certainly looks more powerful!

Got them mounted tonight, but still have to do some wiring. I fried the fan circuit in the ISIS Mastercell because I followed the directions and wired the 12v output from the GM control box directly to the Mastercell input. So, I wired the fans directly to the battery through relays controlled by the GM output. The unintended consequence of this is when the fans are running, they don't stop while the starter is cranking. I am going to use another relay to cut the fans out while the engine is cranking, but to do this I've got to run a wire from the starter solenoid all the way up front to the fans.

I've been having overheating problems, so ordered some Maradyne fans that Allan recommended, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mar-m122k

Stock fan on the right, new fan on the left. It certainly looks more powerful!

Got them mounted tonight, but still have to do some wiring. I fried the fan circuit in the ISIS Mastercell because I followed the directions and wired the 12v output from the GM control box directly to the Mastercell input. So, I wired the fans directly to the battery through relays controlled by the GM output. The unintended consequence of this is when the fans are running, they don't stop while the starter is cranking. I am going to use another relay to cut the fans out while the engine is cranking, but to do this I've got to run a wire from the starter solenoid all the way up front to the fans.

So stock fan on right? Mine look like the left and not sure if came with car or upgrade.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Oops, that was a typo, the stock fan is on the left, new fan with the bigger motor on the right.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Went for a drive this morning to Cars & Coffee. Wasn't hot enough outside to really test the new fans, but the highest temp I saw was 202F. One thing, the new fans are LOUD. You can hear them in the cockpit with the engine running.

This thing gets lots of attention. I had a crowd the whole time I stayed at C&C.

Went for a drive this morning to Cars & Coffee. Wasn't hot enough outside to really test the new fans, but the highest temp I saw was 202F. One thing, the new fans are LOUD. You can hear them in the cockpit with the engine running.

This thing gets lots of attention. I had a crowd the whole time I stayed at C&C.

Yep - the upgraded fans are loud.... lets me know they're on and working ;-) as they pull the car forward!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The more I drive the car, and put heat cycles on it, the more #@$#% pinholes! :veryangry:

Nose looks like it has leprosy

Spoiler

Rear fender

Thanks for sharing Pete. Really is a big warning not to run out and have the car painted before driving. The gel coat in color really is only a temporary alternative to a full paint job.

A.J.

Whoooaa! Did not see that coming.

I've had mine up to 220* in hot rush hour traffic and haven't see anything like this. Maybe I missed it, but did they remove the gelcoat before painting? I get why they would just curious for future reference.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
No "they", I've been doing the bodywork.

On the nose and fender, before any sanding at all, I started to get little bumps in the gelcoat. Apply slight pressure on the bump with something hard and it caves in, revealing the pinhole. On the spoiler area, there were some large rough, raised areas. When I tried to sand smooth, the gelcoat caved, revealing a large void. After filling the void, sanding down the body filler, I found more voids. Filled those in, thought I was done so primered to fill in the sanding scratches. Sanding the primer, found more voids...repeat

Last edited:
I'll tell ya what Pete that is a super bummer. So much for the high quality of the fiberglass part of the build. I'm sorry to see that, really. I can understand some mold lines but wow that's a real surprise. Hang in there you'll get it.

I know how you feel, I stopped counting after a Hundred. The pin holes didn't bother me as much as having no fiberglass under the gel coat in sections of the center section.
I've sanded off most the gel coat now, re-glassed a lot of the body, couple hundred extra hours in it. I'm still Leary to put paint on it, thinking of maybe driving it a year in primer,
to make sure will have to see if I can hold out ?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
There were a couple spots on the spoiler where the fiberglass was paper thin. I haven't found that problem elsewhere. It appears to me that whoever laid the fiberglass didn't push it all the way down into the mold in the spoiler area, or if they use a chopper gun, they really need to hand lay the deep parts of the mold.

Is there any easy way to find the spots? Heat gun to cause it to bubble faster? Maybe sound? I know we can sand the entire gelcoat away, but that is a ton of work and if not needed. I have not heard of this problem before and it scares me now as I plan to paint my car when I am done with the mechanicals, but could drive it around for like 6 months and leave out in the sun a bunch before.

I know how you feel, I stopped counting after a Hundred. The pin holes didn't bother me as much as having no fiberglass under the gel coat in sections of the center section.
Mistakes happen, what's more important (IMO) is how they're handled once found. Has Fran been informed / commented on this?

Back