Pete B's Build Thread

If all else fails, read the instructions :idea::laugh:. According to Vintage Air, it takes just over two cans (28.8 oz) to fill the system. I've got a little less than two cans in right now.

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/900004.pdf

Tools used to fill the system:
Harbor Freight vacuum pump: Vacuum Pump - AC Vacuum Pump w/ R134A & R12 Connectors
Manifold Gauge Set: AC Gauges - Save on this AC Manifold Gauge Set

Pete, When we vacuumed the system, we let it sit overnight to check for leaks. Don't know if you did that, but it's not a bad idea.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Took a few laps around the neighborhood tonight and took both my kids for a ride. Speedometer is reading a few mph high vs the GPS on my phone and it stalls when coming to a stop. So, next item to add is a speed sensor for the ECU. I remember someone posted a cheap sensor that works but I don’t remember who or what thread it was. Guess I’ll dig around a bit and see if I can find it. EDIT: Found it - http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-clubhouse/41687-vss-ecm-stalling.html

A/C works great, and my rearview camera is working well also.

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I took it off of my Pontiac G8. The new Chevy SS also has the same cover. You can find them on e-bay or the classifieds section on www.G8Board.com or www.ssforums.com for around $100. I bought a Camaro cover first and it wouldn't fit under the diagonal bars, so I put the Camaro cover on my G8.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Pete, what do you have for rear view wide angle camera/monitor. I need a setup for full time rearview on track. Could you post a short video in motion? Or even a screen shot would do. What angle of view does your wide angle camera have?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Howard,

I have two cameras, one functions as the rearview mirror and is more long range with a narrow field of view, and the other is a backup camera with a much wider field of view.

The specs on the "rearview mirror" camera are here: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...50mm-Lens.html It's a 50mm lens and is not a reverse image. The monitor reverses the image. I don't know what the field of view is.

My backup camera is a e-bay cheapy CMOS night vision camera like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CMOS-Rear-Vi...item33a1d76b03

Monitor is a Boyo VTM5000: Amazon.com: Boyo VTM5000 5-Inch TFT LCD Digital Monitor: MP3 Players & Accessories. Up to three cameras can be connected and image can be mirror or standard. It also has a wire to connect to the reverse lights so when you put the car in reverse, it auto selects the reverse camera. There are lots of cheaper options, but this was the only one I could find that has the image reverse feature. This was actually the third monitor I bought - the first two I tried said they had the image reverse, but when I got them, they didn't actually have the ability to reverse the image.

Next time I go for a spin around the block, I'll see if I can get some rearview video. I won't be able to get any highway footage for a while as I'm not legal yet.

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Started on the bodywork tonight. Figured I've got two months to wait for Ohio to allow me to drive it on the road, so I might as well get going on the sanding. Doing my own bodywork will be a big achievement for me because I really hate sanding. :eek:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Went to Erie, PA this weekend for a graduation party. Stopped at Summit on the way home and got some supplies.

Man I love Plastidip. I assume that what that sample is anyways. There are unlimited colors that include metallic and really look good on cars. cost effective, changeable, and you don't have to worry about that rock chipping your $8,000 paint job.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
It's Flash Colorshift Pearl in DYC DipPearl Topcoat over a red plastidip base.

Here's a Mustang dipped with the same color:
DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

I'm seriously considering this for the SLC. Like a wrap, if I want something different after a while, peel it off and re-spray.

That looks awesome, do it. Not sure if you've dipped a car before but I dipped my GT500 and its been a year and still looks killer.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Bodywork is progressing. I'm getting quite proficient at turning body filler into dust. I'm not planning on priming the entire car, just the areas that needed leveling and/or filler. The rear spoiler and the top of the driver's door were very wavy, and the spoiler had several voids in the gelcoat, but the rest has been pretty smooth.

I'm taking a break on the sanding to get it ready to take it for inspection on Tuesday.

Thanks for blazing the trail for me on getting your registration. I will be referring back to this for sure. What model year are they going to classify the car as?

A.J.

Back