Plate location

In all the photos I have seen I have never seen a plate in the front. As far as I know all states require two plates. How are you getting around it.

Ron Earp

Admin
NC, where I live only requires one plate. I found this on the web:

"Approximately 30 states requirethat automobiles have a license plate on both the front and back of the vehicle."

Not that it helps your situation any unfortunately.

I do remember seeing a GT40 with the plate afixed to the nose, lying flat on it and facing upward, right in front of the nostril panel.

Same thing as this side of the pond. Many people finds the front plate on such exotics vehicles to be "optional"! ;) Certainly has been on my old mini and on many of the 7 replicas I know of. Over here, if the police do get stroppy you just get a pink bit of paper requiring you to get it sorted out, not sure how much troube you'd get into over there though.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Mine is mounted as depicted. It does not seem to effect the cooling at all and it does get hot where I live. I have toyed with the idea of having the plate spring loaded so it would fold flat at speed, but because of the almost nil effect on cooling have not bothered.

Attachments

• DSCN0503 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0503 (Small).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 517
Md. requires two tags - I've taped the front tag to the windshield so it lays down on the dash - visible only when someone walks up to the car.

No problem with the lawman so far!

John
:pepper:

We have gone about a year in VA (requires front plates) in two different cars with the front plate stored but not mounted. Have it to prove we didn't split them to use on another car (somebody suggested that). So far, no issues, but I do know that it varies from region to region. If you stumble on a policeman who doesn't like such nonsense, they can ticket you (I have heard there is a particularly irritable cop in Roanoke, about an hour from me). I plan to keep them off until absolutely necessary.

"Officer, someone knocked it off in the parking lot a few days ago. I'm in the process of getting a new plate holder right now...on all 3 of my cars...":)

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
hojnacki said:
In all the photos I have seen I have never seen a plate in the front. As far as I know all states require two plates. How are you getting around it.

Many of us are fortunate enough to be adjoining states or provinces (my case) that do not require a front plate even though our own jurisdictions do require one. Most of the Law officers are so used to seeing cars around with no front plate they don't actually notice. Hawaii isn't so fortunate. You might want to re-connect with my Pantera friend Dennis as he's got no plates on the front of his cars and he has a badge. :)

I know another guy who drove his Pantera around for two years with an Italian PROVA plate on the back. No state plate at all! Unless you're driving in a way that draws undue attention, most Cops (car guys too) will just be so awestruck by your GT40 that they won't even notice. If they do, offer them a ride to see if it helps them get over your transgression!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Good afternoon officer.

What? It's not there? Let me have a look.

Damn! I'll need to fix that. Thank you for your help.

Merry Christmas.

What? Oh.. well no..... It's a reproduction.

I made it myself.

Oh about 170

400Hp .

Ya... its cool, thanks

Of course I'll take it easy, On my way home as a matter of fact.

Merry Christmas, Oh and thanks for your service officer. God bless America.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
After a year's worth of driving around with no front plate (& probably being just lucky), I now have a similar setup to Pete's. Mine is mounted on very thin s/s brackets - the slightest touch bends the plate back almost flat.

Like Pete, no noticeable cooling problems, even on 38degC days.

I figured that there was no sense in waving a red flag in front of a bull - some cops will look for any obvious excuse to pull you over, so why invite further trouble with loud exhausts, emissions, etc, all for the sake of sticking front plate on & not getting pulled over in the first place ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back