Please help replacing VW engine

Hi,

I hope all are having a good day today! I have just purchased a Fiberfab Avenger GT12. It's body is one piece with a engine access door in the back over the license plate. I knew when I purchased it that it had a VW engine, but I didn't know that it would sound like a go cart. I fell in like with the body, which is from a 1977 kit, and because it was so complete. I knew that my work would be very minimal since I am mechanically disinclined.

What engines can fit in my car in place of the VW engine? I look forward to reading your advice I really respect your expertise.

Sincerely,
T

Attachments

• 65728-backcar.jpg
    65728-backcar.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 300
Titus, it looks very nice mate.

My guess is you could probably stick a Porker engine in there.

Putting a Porsche engine in VW campers and the like has been done many times.
It will most likely be a tight squeeze, but certainly doable imo.

I assume it has a VW transmission too, so I'd look at fitting say a complete
993 engine & transmission. It won't be cheap though.

Oh, and lets have some more detailed pics please for those of us that have never seen one of these before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For those who asked, here are a few pics of my car. As soon as I get better pics I will post them.

Thanks Titus

Attachments

• 65751-topcar.jpg
    65751-topcar.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 279
Beautiful car. I say hop up the VW motor. There are plenty of ways to get a LOT of performance out of one. You could get another engine out of the back of a VW Hot Rod type magazine and go from there, driving your car all the while. Just remember that with horsepower comes the need for a stronger trans (if you switched to a V8) and better brakes.
Again, great looking car and good luck with it (perhaps try the Porsche 904 forum for even more detailed info on how to "hot rod" the car). I have ridden in bettles that burned a wheel for 50-100 yard.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Johan, I think I will go your route. I was able to find someone with the same engine that I have, which is a VW 1835cc engine. It was rebuilt and sounded really good. I was told that I can have mine rebuilt and get a lot more performance out of it. Along with a more improved exhaust, this will suit me just fine. The car already goes really fast and that's just in 2nd gear!

Titus

I've got a 550 porsche replica with a 2165 VW putting out maybe 150HP and it doesn't sound anything lke a stock VW. Check out Jake Raby's Massive Type IV motors!

Mike

Howard Jones

Supporter
You have a real nice looking car their. I would leave the VW drive train in it and research upgraded equip to suit it.

If the weight of your car is down around 2200 pounds or so it will go real good with about 160 hp or so.

Back