possibly the sickest engine/tran package for an SLC ??

A high revving DOHC 5.X L V8 was exactly what I was hoping for, especially since this type and size of motor is what the hypercar industry is trending towards. However, I think the first iteration is probably not for me. For one, the LT4 and LT5 barely fit height wise and the intake on the LT6 looks much taller. The intake is a complex active part, with the communication valves and whatnot, so I don't think replicating it in a shorter format is likely going to happen any time soon. Also, it's got all of the expensive internals, but tuned for an N/A application while I would prefer a turbo motor. I think I'm going to wait for the ZR1 reveal (and hopefully crate, ala the LT5) which, according to rumor and leaked CAD drawings, is a twin turbo variant.

I have the LT5 engine with the Ricardo transaxle. Had a custom twin disc with Kevlar plates made to handle the power. The motor puts out 757 Hp with 711 lbs ft of torque the transaxle is rated to handle this. You can have all the power you want but everything else has to be sized to handle the engine which means the drivetrain, suspension, bearings, stub axles etc. The power also has to get to the ground and be a manageable car to drive. The SLC is not a drag car but a road racer. I know several people with 1000 + Hp and say they either can’t control the car or can’t get it to hook up. The LT5 is about as far as you want to take an SLC and still have a drivable car.
Bob D

Anyone have any insight (or opinions) on the new GM LS7 LS427/570 crate engine? 570HP/540TQ, with wet sump oiling. More power and easier to install than say the LS376/525 package. Sounds like the LS7 is a little heavier though.

Joel K

Supporter
Anyone have any insight (or opinions) on the new GM LS7 LS427/570 crate engine? 570HP/540TQ, with wet sump oiling. More power and easier to install than say the LS376/525 package. Sounds like the LS7 is a little heavier though.

Hey Chris, a few comments on this. The article says it’s easier to install than a dry sump LS7. I don’t think it would be any easier to install than the LS376/525. Probably the same. To use this engine in an SLC you’ll need to understand which water pump and accessory belt line it uses. Preferably a Corvette belt line which is shallower than a Camaro belt line. Although I think you can make the Camaro work, but will have less room for cooling tubes. You would also need to change the oil pan to a shallow corvette oil pan for use in an SLC. I can also vouch that dry sump install is more expensive and will take a good amount of time and effort to lay it all out and plumb it.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
That engine appears to be on the “Corvette” belt line which is good. The balancer is from a C6 Corvette. Also it uses a f body oil pan which has similar clearance as the C6 Corvette pan. It should also work.

Personally I wouldn’t use it due to the past problems associated with the LS7 heads. You could run it for a couple of years than send the heads in to have the guides redone. Gotta love the lower rpm torque from the 427 displacement and the titanium connecting rods and intake valves.

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback! I did read about the guide issue with the LS7 heads.. wonder if any of that was changed with the new refit. Might have to just follow in Joel's footsteps and go with the LT4! Joel i'm still going to make it your way to see your build one of these days.

Weird, I guess GM retired the LS427/570 already. Wonder what they have up their sleeves. I just emailed a dealer to get a status, and asked if there's anything new scheduled to be released

EV guys!

Koenigsegg wants you guys to have his new Quark electric motor, " . . . it just makes sense to share it as they're very modular and can fit many different needs."

ba268438f4e45d8e_800x800ar.png

image from Koenigsegg

Also, " . . . he says the company will license the motor design to interested parties."

The Quark is expensive, but "It's also possible to create a less costly variant of the motor that doesn't require as many exotic materials—as it sits right now, the Quark uses Koenigsegg’s own CarbonCore hollow carbon fiber and motorsport-grade high-strength steel for the rotor. Using more conventional materials would reduce peak RPM by about 700, says von Koenigsegg, but 'it would still be amazing, and, of course, drastically less expensive.'"

Here is the original article: How Koenigsegg’s Tiny, Ultra-Powerful Electric Motor Works.

Paywalled unless you’re a subscriber.
To view it, hit “stop” or “x” or whatever your browser uses to cancel loading a page as soon as you see text, otherwise it will load the paywall.

Save you a click: no price listed.

New engine from Stellantis

Stellantis Whips Up a 500-HP Hurricane
Autoweek
"Stellantis propulsion chief Micky Bly says the Hurricane will work well in every engine bay currently occupied by a Hemi, from Dodge Challengers and Jeep Grand Cherokees to Ram 1500 pickups and Chrysler 300s. The engine is intended for north-south installations in rear-drive vehicles . . . "

Stellantis Hurricane I6 Hemi Replacement
Autoblog
"The new I6's advantages go beyond basic power output. Every Hemi family engine currently in production is based on an iron block design, so they're heavy. The aluminum-block I6 shaves weight off the total engine package, even if some of that gets added back thanks to the turbos and their associated plumbing. The standard-output I6 weighs 430 pounds, Stellantis engineers told us; the high-output adds just another 11. Fully dressed 5.7-liter V8s are in the 550-560-pound ballpark, and 6.4-liters close in on 600 pounds.

" . . . the standard output Hurricane measures 33.4 inches x 28.7 inches x 32.7 inches. The high-output checks in at 33.9" x 29.0" x 33.4"."

Here is a photo.

stellantisengineb-copy-1648155821.jpg

"The standard-output I6 weighs 430 pounds, Stellantis engineers told us; the high-output adds just another 11. Fully dressed 5.7-liter V8s are in the 550-560-pound ballpark, and 6.4-liters close in on 600 pounds. "

And a fully-dressed LS7 weighs about 430 lbs, per Katech. It's only the chubby Stellantis engines that are so heavy by comparison, since they all tend to have cast iron blocks, etc.

And of course the headroom on the LS7 is much higher, since it develops that much power with no power adders. Too bad GM has stopped selling it as a crate engine- it really was remarkable. Now when the new 5.5L flat-plane Z06 engines becomes available as a crate engine, it will ascend the next step in domestic NA engines.

Neil

Supporter
Another data point- my complete (minus carb) Donovan 383 engine weight is 390- 400 lbs. This engine has a very heavy Lunati crankshaft so you could probably knock off 15 lbs by using a lightweight crank. Power output is around 550- 600 BHP which, in a 1950 lb mid-engine car, is plenty. A lightweight engine has many, many advantages!

Attachments

• Complete Engine Weight 2.jpg
    Complete Engine Weight 2.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Complete Engine Weight.jpg
    Complete Engine Weight.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 139
Back