Quickest build?

Not really sure which section to post this under (admin please move if not here) but I'm interested to see what is the quickest build time that has been recorded for a GT40 kit? I know they can drag on for years (part of the reason I sold my last part completed project) but if you have all the bits, stick to a rigid regime, what can be achieved?
Simon

While not a GT40, the quickest I have seen for a similar car was a supercharged Ultima GTR, This was just bolting all the bits of the kit together. Total time was around 400 hours.

Was built bay “Stig”, links to the old web site are here. Not sure if its still available on the web anymore.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=20&t=172260

Presume Bobs would be a similar build and time as it was a similar build, maybe even simpler if you want to see what is required for 400 hours.

http://www.ultima-gtr.org.uk/october.php

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think Dean Lampe did the fastest GT40 build. Check in the Build Logs forum..

Ron McCall

Supporter
I had the first RCR GT40 completed . I picked it up in January and had it at the Carlisle show in Mid May with everything completed except for the wiring and drivetrain. It was driven a few months later. That was working in a 2 car garage with my Pantera in the way . That was also with a 358ci NASCAR dry sump engine and fabricating the headers from scratch.

Ron

There’s a guy in the uk cobra club who’s just finished his car and had it registered after 28 years....

Not really sure which section to post this under (admin please move if not here) but I'm interested to see what is the quickest build time that has been recorded for a GT40 kit? I know they can drag on for years (part of the reason I sold my last part completed project) but if you have all the bits, stick to a rigid regime, what can be achieved?
Simon

TS40 875 went from crates to plates in 6 months.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Can you point me to that please? I can’t find the name. Thanks

Build times are effected bay a huge number of factors, like - Your skill and experience level, your shop space and equipment, how many friends are available when you need them :oops:, how complete the kit is (or not) to start, whether you're building by the book, or going your own way.

I would think the kits that have the assembly tasks more developed with full instructions and all the little detail parts and fasteners included would easily be the fastest. The Ultima comes to mind as a kit in that category.

The Forza build was 1 week!

I remember that. Westfield. I was working at the BBC then just over the road, spent an inordinate amount of time over there watching as well as an obscene amount of money on the phone competition (which I didn’t win)
I wonder if the guy who won it still owns it? He dropped off the face of the earth (well, pistonheads web site) after the competition.
Simon

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Simon

I now own the Forza car.

Its the one on my Avatar and is currently on display in our showroom.

Thanks

Andy

Back