Racing Setup - Hooptie 500

Re: Racing Setup?

Mike, per this article it is possible.

Aerial photos of the Circuit of the Americas F1 track in Austin

I mean if you call a F1 car a street car...

The fastest speed at COTA last year was 195 Circuit Profile - Circuit of the Americas - United States Grand Prix - Viva F1

F1 cars weights now 1415 pounds with a 2.4Liter 730+HP @ 19000RPM (KERS provide 80HP). 6 piston carbon composite brakes capable of over 4.5G deceleration. 7 speed sequential gearbox and millions of dollars in Aero setup with 1500 pounds downforce and DRS on long straights that they can use in testing and qualifying . It starts turn 11 at 62MPH in 2nd gear and a very long straight and can not reach 200MPH before turn 12. (this track is counterclockwise)

No street car (Ferrari 599) or race car and much less a GT-40 can match this specs. In youtube you can search for Lauda's comparison of a F1 agaist a 928 and Mondeo. Ferrari did the same at Imola with Michael's F1 against a streeet Ferrari and a Fiat.

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter

The fastest speed at COTA last year was 195 Circuit*Profile*-*Circuit of the Americas*-*United States Grand Prix - Viva F1

F1 cars weights now 1415 pounds with a 2.4Liter 730+HP @ 19000RPM (KERS provide 80HP). 6 piston carbon composite brakes capable of over 4.5G deceleration. 7 speed sequential gearbox and millions of dollars in Aero setup with 1500 pounds downforce and DRS on long straights that they can use in testing and qualifying . It starts turn 11 at 62MPH in 2nd gear and a very long straight and can not reach 200MPH before turn 12. (this track is counterclockwise)

No street car (Ferrari 599) or race car and much less a GT-40 can match this specs. In youtube you can search for Lauda's comparison of a F1 agaist a 928 and Mondeo. Ferrari did the same at Imola with Michael's F1 against a streeet Ferrari and a Fiat.

A minor clarification is warranted here: The only reason an F1 car does not exceed 200MPH on the back straight at COTA is due to gearing. You will see in this qualifying lap of last year's race that Vettel reached maximum speed at the imposed redline a full 5 seconds before braking to enter turn 12. The car is capable of accelerating to 200+ easily if the gearbox/final drive drive ratios were set up for it. The teams sacrificed achieving the maximum achievable top speed on the back straight to maximize the performance of car for the balance of the track.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrpXCCxA6s]F1 Onboard COTA - YouTube[/ame]

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

A minor clarification is warranted here: The only reason an F1 car does not exceed 200MPH on the back straight at COTA is due to gearing. You will see in this qualifying lap of last year's race that Vettel reached maximum speed at the imposed redline a full 5 seconds before braking to enter turn 12. The car is capable of accelerating to 200+ easily if the gearbox/final drive drive ratios were set up for it. The teams sacrificed achieving the maximum achievable top speed on the back straight to maximize the performance of car for the balance of the track.

F1 Onboard COTA - YouTube

Well sure ,but that is NOT a tuned 599!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Did the OP take off? I figured posting claims like he did on a site with plenty of real race car drivers would not turn out well for him :)

Did the OP take off? I figured posting claims like he did on a site with plenty of real race car drivers would not turn out well for him :)

5 min of google investigation revealed that he owns an E30 BMW, a 94 cadillac or at least those are the two cars he talks about on other forums. He enters his BMW in Lemons races and is part of "Hooptie 500" which I think is another version of Lemons type racing.

Personally I think his claims of owning a 599, novitec equipped or not, and a viper are BS...

No pictures= it didn't happen........

Ron Earp

Admin

I'd dropped him a message here and an email asking where he races and with what group. If he's in VA I'm sure he goes to VIR and I might know the fellow, but I don't know all very many people that participate in Chump/Lemons events.

If he races at VIR he'll know 200 mph isn't a small feat. If I'm not mistaken the ALMS prototypes don't get close to 200mph at VIR on the 4000 ft back straight. You enter that straight out of Oak Tree at 45-55mph depending on exit from Oak tree. And the front straight, while having a much higher entry speed out of Hog's Pen, is shorter and you develop less top end there. I don't know much about 599s, but I don't think 612hp in one is going to get it done.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

But it has proper race computers? Did you add that to the equation? Maybe he has naaaazzzz too? Don't be so hasty Ron!

I think Ron smoked OP out. Claims of extensive racing history seem to be bogus. There are too many forum members with real racing histories to buy his claims.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter

In the US you'd need to find an open road course like this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6uSriij2RE]1969 FORD GT40 Wide Body in SSCC 2010. - YouTube[/ame]

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

This thread would be a lot more fun if the OP would chime in lol.

If I remember right Dave that was about 195mph

This thread would be a lot more fun if the OP would chime in lol.

If I remember right Dave that was about 195mph

According to the SSCC results site, high trap was 174.2, but they were aiming for a 170 average.

Ian

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Who knows. Here is the same car reported at 197mph

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEg5OB2CMQU]BBORR 2012 69' Ford GT clocked at 197MPH!!! - YouTube[/ame]

BBORR 2012 results show 166.661 average, with one way hitting 169.259. So, while feasible they hit 197 at some point during the run, it must have been fairly briefly. Each leg is 59 miles.

It's a DRB, with full NASCAR style cage, stroked 351W, MoTEC and stack injection, dry sump, oil and trans cooler. Bill Bayard knows the owner, John Tiemann.

He's hit 172 in the standing mile. In 2012, at the Nevada Open Road Challenge, he hit a high trap of 184.5 while aiming for a target of 170 (finished first in their group with 169.674 average).

Ian

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Husband/wife team right? There are several videos of them out there hauling the mail. Good stuff!

Trond

Lifetime Supporter

Hi

We have two guys in Norway that likes to go fast, and it is quite shocking how fast they go and what cars they use. Polly (funny name!) has done 407,134km/h in his old Trans Am!

Trans-Am - Polly Motorsport

and Anders has done 344 km/h in his Opel Omega RATS

This doesent come without considerable work to their cars, but there is also a big difference when we talk about until 200mph and the quite different world that lies beyond this. Talking to Anders you understand that passing 200mph you hit a "wall" that demands a lot of ekstra power for each mph you try to reach.

What I try to say is that 200mph in a GT-40 isn`t quite as extraordinary and difficult as some on the forum makes it.

When it comes to the question that started this thread in the first place,
(indipendent of the quality of the person asking it) I think starting with engine-power is starting in the wrong end of it. My little experience says:

1. chassis
2. brakes
3. power
4. aero

I think the GT-40 with its monoball/uniball suspension is a good start. Upgraded with a set of fully adjustable coilovers you have a good race chassis bolted to one of the stiffest constructions ever made. If you are willing to "destroy" the GT-40 looks with a set of 19" rims and low profile tires you could fit a set of huge 388mm rotors and 6pot calipers. With a V8 you have a reliable and cheap engine that dont drive you bankerupt every time you damage something. If I had installed a good NOS system on my Roush 427R, I could get about 750-800HP when I need it. Programming this to be actuated at the end of the 3. gear and giving it all in 4. and 5. gear . You will get a lot of horsepower when you need it without struggeling with the unpredictability through the corners that a turbo will give you.

I think this would be a race car that you will need a F1 type of car to beat, it still has some of the old style charme, and it is still a different car to drive and maintain compared to a new Porsche or Ferrari.

Personally I prefer the autentic GT-40 I have, but this says something about how competable the old GT-40 is.

best regards
Trond

5 min of google investigation revealed that he owns an E30 BMW, a 94 cadillac or at least those are the two cars he talks about on other forums. He enters his BMW in Lemons races and is part of "Hooptie 500" which I think is another version of Lemons type racing.

Personally I think his claims of owning a 599, novitec equipped or not, and a viper are BS...

No pictures= it didn't happen........

Sorry, I was travelling and not able to respond. I am not part of Hooptie 500, I am the owner of Hooptie 500. It is a new race series that sits above lemons and below pro series. You will be seeing a number of major pieces of press coverage, including the level of races that we offer.

So for those of you that are racers we have a great offering to show what you are really capable of.

Now in regards to my cars, I don't, nor will I post photos of any of them as the only person I ever need to impress is the 12 year old upstairs that is my junior pit chief.

I'd dropped him a message here and an email asking where he races and with what group. If he's in VA I'm sure he goes to VIR and I might know the fellow, but I don't know all very many people that participate in Chump/Lemons events.

If he races at VIR he'll know 200 mph isn't a small feat. If I'm not mistaken the ALMS prototypes don't get close to 200mph at VIR on the 4000 ft back straight. You enter that straight out of Oak Tree at 45-55mph depending on exit from Oak tree. And the front straight, while having a much higher entry speed out of Hog's Pen, is shorter and you develop less top end there. I don't know much about 599s, but I don't think 612hp in one is going to get it done.

I used to live in VA and no longer do. If you look at my posts, I never once said that I hit 200 in VIR. I ASKED what it would take for a gt40 to do it, which has clearly been said not possible.

But it has proper race computers? Did you add that to the equation? Maybe he has naaaazzzz too? Don't be so hasty Ron!

I am sorry, did I say I drove a honda that needed nos? BTW, our newly patented race computers will be available for sale soon if you would like to buy one. Far more accurate then some of the offerings in the market right now.

Back