RCR 33 track test & chassis setup

Julian,
the weight is including driver and fuel...is the full up weight of a GTD the same??..ZF and dry sump, with AC also ....luxury racing..:D

Hi Fran, Diampe,

I also have AC & a six point roll cage, I'm using a renault 'box (lighter than the ZF??) & to be fair my GTD is a long way off 'standard'. FWIW With 4 gallons of fuel, all oils & fluids, NO driver my car weighs in at 2492 lbs 42.1% front 57.8% rear.

I suspect you're way ahead of me on horsepower tho! Congrats again on a great car & fascinating spec.

Regds,

Dean,
Go buy/borrow a vacuum/pressure gauge as used by mechanics. Its one simple mechanical gauge with one needle that has a range going up to about 10 psi and relatively large face dia to enable an accurate read. A bit large to mount in the car but could be used on temp basis until you get on top of this problem. Those '' SIMPLE'' Webers will be a PITA until you do.

Jac Mac

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Rock and roll baby.....
rockonsmilerockonsmilerockonsmilerockonsmile:pepper::pepper::pepper:rockonsmilerockonsmilerockonsmilerockonsmile

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Russ,
how long before your build is race ready???...

Julian,
the weight is including driver and fuel...is the full up weight of a GTD the same??..ZF and dry sump, with AC also ....luxury racing..:D

Fran, PM sent so as not to contaminate Deans thread. BTW. Wonderful car you've provided him with. We're all waiting to see it in action.

Cheers

Not being a racing person I have had no idea what the hell has been said for most of this thread - but the general gist of it as far as I understood was Deans car rocks! Well done to all involved.

Regards

Jack

Awesome. Now lets see some video!

I would love to know how Fran models and designs, along with what theories he applies to his suspensions.

Dean
What tires are you running? What times and what track? Congratulations on getting so close your first time out! That is an amazing accomplishment!
We need to see some in car video.

Andy

Dave Collins

Supporter
Dean,

Thanks for the informative posts. Good to see things have gone well with this initial setup.

Can you advise what front and rear bump and droop travel you have on the suspension from the nominal ride heights you have set and also what the open and closed lengths of the shocks you are using are?

Regards

Dave

Andy I am running Hoosier R6 17 inch tires. 225/40 on front and 315/35 rear.

DC, Fran can help you on the shocks. The front springs are 7 inch and the rear are 10 inch but could be 12. The car doesn't have much suspension movement but we checked it for 2 inches up and 2 inches down. I am not sure if that answers your questions but I will tell anything I can.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dean, would you mind telling us what width the wheels are. And could you measure the section width and height F & R. I have been told the Hoosiers run a little wider than the average tire.

I have 245 40 17's on 8's on the front and 315 35 17's on 10.5's on the rear but they are Sumitomo street tires. Very good fit but there's no more room for wider at my ride height so I would really like to know the REAL measurements.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dean, would you mind telling us what width the wheels are. And could you measure the section width and height F & R. I have been told the Hoosiers run a little wider than the average tire.

I have 245 40 17's on 8's on the front and 315 35 17's on 10.5's on the rear but they are Sumitomo street tires. Very good fit but there's no more room for wider at my ride height so I would really like to know the REAL measurements of the Hoosiers.

Hey Dean,
Is this you? you delinquent :p
I love the kids chasing 'whoever' up the driveway...fun, put a smile on my face.

Cool.

(link deleted)
OK that was not the right link.....where did I mess up...? I'll try to fix.

I wanted to follow up with some of the changes I have made since the Run and Gun event in St.Louis MO. The car ran very well and that has been discussed other places on the forum. I did have some mechanical issues at the track Here is what happened and what I did about it.

The first problem was a loss of brakes. It was really strange. The pedal would not go down and I could not slow down. I found a piece of debris in my residual pressure valve. It totally disabled my brakes. I took the valve out and drilled it out. Now it is a coupling! and the brakes are great. I would love to remove the rear pressure valve but it is not easy to get to. Maybe a winter project.

The second issue was a loss of fuel pressure on my race tank fuel system. Easy short term fix, switch to the other tank! However, I burned up the 2 pumps on the race side because they were so jammed with aluminum debris that they no longer pumped fuel. I came home and changed all the pumps and it is working nicely. I was going to add a filter between the pump and the tank but now I am going to another style of pump that I think is probably a better choice with a built in filter and a check valve.

Then I blew out the bushings on my sway bar. I was able to push the bushings back in and I added collars on both sides of my pillow blocks. Pretty easy fix but I just didn't think I needed them on both sides.

The most annoying problem was when my friends said it looked like an electric car because it was so fast and you could hear it coming. So I took off my mufflers and installed some straight pipes. Now it sounds good like that you tube video of the GT spinning out.

I am still having some kind of wheel hop under hard acceleration. I have been playing with shock valving but haven't been able to get it fixed yet.

I want to do some kind of body ground effects that would help control the air flow under the car. I just don't really want them to be that visible. I need to create more down force on the high speed banks.

As I ended the season I was running great. Run and Gun is one of the premier track events for our hobby in the States. For me to win the overall top dog next year in the "pro/unlimited" class, I think I will need to find another 1 or 2 seconds. That might mean a bigger set of "stones" but we will see what next year brings. Here are a few pictures.

Run and Gun 2007 021.jpg

This is coming of the straight into turn 1. This is probably around 100mph turning very hard to the left. There were quite a few crashes in the this corner ranging from serious fiberglass damage to a hospitalized driver.

Run and Gun 2007 049.jpg

This is at WOT at 7000rpm's at 150+ mph

Run and Gun 2007 031.jpg

This is where you need to tap the brakes to set the nose for turn one. The car feels really stable and turns in very well, very mechanical.

The tire temps looked fantastic. Based on the temps I will say that the chassis set up is on the money. The tire pressure was around 37psi hot.

I hope this helps some of you with your set up.

Dean

rockonsmileWOW,WOW, That"s what I'm talking about!!! I spent yesterday with Fran at RCR and all I can say is GREAT OPERATION!!I really hope my CAV that I am about to get on the road is as capable!!CONGRATULATIONS 150+ at 7000 rpm must be fun!! Hope I can keep up. Way to show us how it's done!
Randy

Dean, great report! I am a bit confused about the use of the residual valve. I have seen several posts on this site about how they must be used when the master cylinder is below the calipers. Actually, I always thought it was when the reservoir was below the calipers as the fluid can drain back into the reservoir. In most of these builds the reservoir is above the calipers, so I don't see why they are needed. WHat am I missing?

Mark,

I bow to the knowledge of the experts and our brake kits are manufactureed for us by Inline Tube here in Michigan..

Al, one of the owners personally specs out the line kits for us and he says use them.

Interestingly Dean and I had a long chat about the today..I personally prefer a "longer" pedal with more feel....the res. valves keep the pistons pumped and have a much shorter initial pedal feel...very immediate...some guys will and some guys won't...as the song says...
At least we include them and provide the option!!

Back