RCR GT40 Rear Clip Width

Tim Collins

Supporter
Has anyone had issues with the rear clip width of a RCR40? Mine is about 1 ½” wider than the rockers where they meet. I have the alignment pins in place, but the body is too stiff to force it back into position. I started relieving the inner structure to allow more compliance but so far haven’t cut out enough to make a difference.

rear clip width.JPG
squeezing rear clip.JPG

If the rocker panels are set properly to the width of the front clip then your rear clamshell probably widened when the fender extensions were installed. There is also the possibility the part wasn’t constructed properly from the Canadian supplier rcr uses.

Additionally, the rocker placement both width and longitudinal position are very important. It’s possible match to the rocker width to the “toes” of the front clip but have one were they are sucked in. So narrow in front and wide in the rear.

I have had this problem on at least three cars and they were not all rcr. If the inner clam assembly is not installed correctly [bonded/glassed in ] it will be off. The clam is very flexible with out it in place. I think you know the answer. brake the bond of the inner piece flex the outer clam for best possible fit and then we re-glass the inner back in place. I like to use 2'' strips of aluminum cleco's to hold it in place for alignment and then bond it good luck................m

Tim Collins

Supporter
Finally cut away enough of the rear clip inner structure to improve the body alignment at the rockers. With it closed in position, I then riveted aluminum plates over the seam. After confirming it opened and closed smoothly, I then removed the rear clip and re-glassed the seam from the inside.

Rear clip relief.JPG
Rear clip relief.JPG
rear clip riveted.JPG
rear clip riveted.JPG