RCR40 Steering Lock Problem - Resolution?

I have posted an issue with my RCR40's steering lock here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-foru...ering-lock-question-any-help-appreciated.html

Unfortunately it must have been accidentally closed following Frans post without any clear resolution posted on the forum. Only comment was that emails were sent that I clearly did not receive! Looks like RCR to my inbox are again getting blocked somehow.

I have since received one PM and emails from other RCR owners regarding how I plan to resolve the issue. It also appears that at least one other RCR40 owner may have the same problem and has also been unable to fix the problem.

So I thought it was worth opening another thread in a public area on how to fix this problem for the benefit of others.

Frans response to me via email, only 1 hour of posting (thanks for the fast response Fran, yes I received this email), is my rack is incorrect and would I like another? I will PM and email him with a THANK YOU & YES PLEASE.

If I get it in a reasonable time and it fixes the problem I will be pleased.

I will also consider posting such questions in future as it has shortcut nearly 2 weeks of emails without resolution, and only after 1 hour of the post on this terrific forum!

I will report on the outcome when the replacement rack arrives (hopefully soon).

Chuck

Supporter
Jason:

For what it is worth, I have NOT had that problem with mine. The rack appears to be symetrical in its range of travel. So hopefully swapping out the rack will solve your problem.

Chuck

If you still need diminesions for mounting points let me know.

Fran, here is a message to you as you have exceeded your PM space on this forum!

Dear Fran

Thanks for the email regarding the rack problem (its the only one I received).

Can you advise me when the rack will be dispatched and how it is being sent, tracking number etc?

With the email problems and your PM's full the only was I have in dealing with you is publicly on the forum! I don't want to call you at 2:00am your time!

I look forward to your reply with some information.

Last edited:
In a follow up to all those that emailed and PM'd me, Fran form RCR USA has informed me that he will dispatch a replacement steering rack via an airfreight to Australia this Friday the 8th of May 2009 :happy:

When it arrives shortly thereafter in Melbourne and fixes the uneven steering lock issue I will be very happy as originally I could not work out what the cause of the problem was!

Quick update on the rack problem for those that want to know if it fixed my lock problem. Answer is I'm still waiting for the rack to leave the USA.

The promised date of the 8th of May from RCR USA has been and gone. I will update when it leaves as I still have no confirmed date of dispatch (I'm hoping this will be clarified soon).

When I receive the part and fit it I will post the result for those that may be interested.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
As you know Craig changed the content and the timing of his shipment...he has sent you emails to keep you informed as I have been CC'ed on them....

I received your email at 9.03am this morning and its now 10.15am so
If you would like it expedited directly to you,just let Vicki at the shop know...as always we are here to help!!

Last edited:
Yes Craig from RCR Australia has said he delayed his shipment, but every week I just wait for the next weeks news regarding dispatch.

The fact that Craig is delaying his shipment is his prerogative, I have no right to push him to dispatch his shipment, its none of my business, and I have no right to get stroppy with him (nor have I). He really owes me nothing, and anything he does for me I still consider a favour.

All purchase agreements etc were with RCR USA. And yes Craig does respond to me quickly that he has not sent his shipment. To anyone reading this and considering dealing with RCR Australia, they have treated me just like a customer of theirs and I cannot praise them enough for this. This is not the problem here.

Obviously you are consolidating the shipment of my replacement rack to save money on shipping it to me directly. I have no problem with that, as long as it does not continue to delay this part without any clear commitment on when it will be sent.

Of course if you can send the replacement part to me directly, please ask Viki to send it to my work address! Or if you feel you can commit to a reasonable dispatch date with RCR Australia's consolidated shipment that is also fine.

I just want my part sent when I'm told it will be sent, and that date to be reasonable. Not a big ask Fran. Part deliveries (for missing/delayed and incorrect parts) have been the only issue that I have been unhappy with since buying this kit, this is clear.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
It will ship today...no problem...just send Vicki an email with your address

racecarreplicas "at" rocketmail.com

As is stated in your purchase agreement any incorrectly manufactured component will be replaced free of charge...under warranty.

Please send the original rack back to me so it can be returned to the manufacturer and they can address their QC.

Does anyone know what the stated RCR steering rack detail "Custom Made Rack and Pinion 2.7 Turns with Tie Rod Ends" refers to?

I had assumed it meant that the wheel would turn lock to lock in 2.7 turns. Mine appears to be >3.1 turns (maybe I'm measuring it wrong!).

Does anyone else know whether they have a 2.7 turn lock to lock rack as advertised?

Back