RCR's Next car should be.....

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Bill,
we are in the middle of a LiPolymer SL-C too...cant wait to get that one on the road...its going to be a monster...and hopefully showcase some pretty cool new technology...

Well, that answers the question I was about to ask: electric drivetrain in a SL-C!

Where are you getting the Li battery packs? Any estimates on range, 0-60 and top speed?

If your thinking about a car for daily use - then a car that runs for 40+ miles on electricity and when needed switches over to gas like the Chevrolet Volt claims to do would be awesome. I like the Tesla, but its cost out ways its gas saving value. I think Chevrolet is onto something here, the idea of a car that can be used as a commuter for work without the need to stop for gas during the week is great. And the car would be even better if you were not limited to electricity only.

Maybe Fran could re-do a Norton-Cooper with headlights and power it with a Ducati 999 or Suzuki V-twin. He knows enough about both. Just kidding (but the mileage would be fabulous).

A few pics of the Electrolite Roadster from this weekend....

Attachments

• Power of DC 099.jpg
    Power of DC 099.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 455
  • Power of DC 079.jpg
    Power of DC 079.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 422
  • Power of DC 080.jpg
    Power of DC 080.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 465
  • Power of DC 083.jpg
    Power of DC 083.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Way to go Fran and RCR!!!

Where can we find more details about this build?

Thanks Guys.....the build is in flux(capacitor) as we may have the chance to get some higher end batteries as sponsorship and really start to make waves...

The EL-R was designed around the fact that lead acid would allow the DIY'er to maintain the car for a reasonable cost and drive the car as an enthusiast commuter...40 mile plus and a six speed trans....so great accel. and higher mileage...more info soon as we are all whiped out with Carlisle and the NEDRA event...not to mention building the usual range of customer cars..phew!!

Just wait for the EV-Coupe...its a stunner.

Hi Fran, Kaspa et al - Long time no speak!

My Group C/ GTP car has stalled a bit recently as I have a nice Porsche 996 Carerra now and my best mate just picked up his 997 GT3 and we are busy playing with those... I will get back to the project shortly, although I have been having a rethink about body style recently and I have just gone through all 31 pages of this thread for inspiration!

As much as I like the Group C style, I am really starting to wonder whether it could be used on the road and my plan to have a track only car is falling by the wayside as work is too busy to make it to many trackdays...

I would love an SL-C, I think it is a beautiful car, but my preferences would be:

1). Porsche GT1-98 Evo (as posted earlier, based on a 996... Arash Farboud made 1)
2). Porsche 961 (as posted earlier, perhaps based on a 993, though they are $$$!)
3). Porsche 911 GT1 (Porsche 993 based, but I think Nick Dames can make one)
4). Something GT1-like from the 90s such as a Nissan R390 etc

I read in Total Kit Car this month that there is a company about to release Lambo Gallardo and Murcielago reps based on Boxsters! Now, i have no interest in having a Lambo based on a Boxster but with Boxsters dropping below £10k here now, it does make for an interesting doner, especially if you were looking for an engine/trans-x, wheels, suspension, dash etc for number 1-3 above!

I wonder what it would cost Nick to build his 911 GT1 replica in GRP instead of Carbon etc?

Keep up the excellent work Fran... Next time I am in the States, it would be nice to come up and take a look. I actually really love that mini CanAm style body you posted earlier in this thread... I might be interested in one at the right price as *another* side project!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Contact Nick. This is the PM he sent me a while back about the project...

"Brian
If You can supply a doner car the best year is 1996 same as the bodywork I can get from the original maker,I think I can do a road legal car for 100.000 pounds.
It may be better for me to get a doner car from Germany register it in the uk then export to the US I think I can build you one in 10 months.
NICK"

If you wanted it made from Fiberglass rather than Carbon Fiber, he may be able to do that, but I'd talk with him. That price is a little outta my range at the moment though. Hahaha But it's a great deal, especially since it's a real 911 GT1 in all essence. Well, other than the fact it's not a carbon monocoque... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply Brian - I will contact you outside this thread as I don't want to drag this thread O/T! I hope Austen is treating you well, as an ex-Houston resident I used to love it over there!

With the £ the way it is against the $, Fran's kits do look like fantastic value for money... The SLC certainly appeals to me, but I can't get this Porsche replica love out of my head! If Fran could do a P962 based on the SLC chassis I think that would get the nod over one of Nick's GT1's from a cost point of view, I'm guessing!

How about something more modern like the new Peugot 908 or the Bentley Speed 8 closed top prototype cars? Those would be something to look at.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Practical as mudflaps on a turtle...but way cool all the same

I know you keep bringing that up but...

Doesn't your SLC share its origins with the same types of cars? Granted the 908's and Bentley's cockpits would be overly cozy and ground clearance would be a nightmare but- getting to my actual point- the 962/956/XJR-#'s/etc (GTP/Gp C1) all shared the majority of the IMSA/FIA rulebook with the Kudzu (GTP Lights/Gp C2) which became your SLC (albeit with your own underpinnings and the bodywork tailored to RCR's tastes). Right?

In light of this it seems a little unfair to summarily write them all off as totally inappropriate for street duty. But then again, my viewpoint (as you already well know) is quite biased in favor of the P-cars.

And I know, for what it's worth, I will also point out I didn't use the word "practical" to describe any of these cars.

Attachments

• kudzu1.jpg
    kudzu1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 392
  • kudzu2.jpg
    kudzu2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 472
Chris,
the only thing that the SLC shares with the IMSA lights cars is wheelbase.
We have significantly more ground clearance.
If you actually have a look at the SLC you will see we have an invisible A pillar and our B pillar is hidden also....there is not a single body surface that is a carry over from the original RCR-P.

We also have 56 inches between the chassis rails in the cockpit of the SLC...not a hope of having close to that in a GT/IMSA/GP C. car.

The transverse engined RCR-P was very loosely based on a DG-2. but not the SL-C.

Back