RCR's Next car should be.....

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I don't mean to interrupt the thread but.. A few cars on the web sit, there are 13 on there! That's not lucky, I'm sure you'll create 1 more car soon? I didnt see the GT-R on there?

Also, under special projects, is that an SL-C frame as a chase car for filming NFS? 1.40min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKrSMllSVoE

Yep, they needed something to keep up with the replica super cars that had Superlite chassis as well ;-)

This has probably been brought up before, but what about making a single, center seat SLC? And no, not with passengers alas McLaren F1. Has it ever been done? And yes, the new Aero is coming, but I'm talking about a street legal single seater. Keep the SLC bodywork, just rearrange the chassis tubing for a single driver.

The idea just came to me when looking at the Lamborghini Cesto Elemento (or whatever it's called).

Keep the SLC bodywork, just rearrange the chassis tubing for a single driver.
It's been done for a race car (not by RCR), but I've not seen it for the road. There was a 3 seater version done as a one-off, without Superlite bodywork, but I never heard anything further there.

Justin,
been done as a three seater but required 5 inch longer wheelbase and 5 inches wider, we did it for a one off special a few years ago for a California Ferrari collector, also had a V8 Ferrari drivetrain installed.

I've heard about that one. What I'm saying is replace the center aluminum beam with two, one on either side, and simply have one seat in the middle. No passengers, no extra width, no other modifications (other than the steering rack and pedal placement). I'm not sure if it can be done feasibly from the factory. The only other part that may be an issue is the roll cage spider. That may impede on head room in the middle, but I'm not sure if it would or not.

I've heard about that one. What I'm saying is replace the center aluminum beam with two, one on either side, and simply have one seat in the middle. No passengers, no extra width, no other modifications (other than the steering rack and pedal placement). I'm not sure if it can be done feasibly from the factory. The only other part that may be an issue is the roll cage spider. That may impede on head room in the middle, but I'm not sure if it would or not.
It has been done on a race SLC, but I can't find the link and don't remember the team. They removed the central beam, but I don't know if they put others in or relied in a roll cage to stiffen it.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Here is one for you...

IMG_7799.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg

Kinda looks familiar!

Looks like Mercedes has encroached upon RCR territory. They just announced the AMG SLC at the Detroit International Auto Show. That's just a stones throw from the RCR headquarters. The full name is the SLC43.

2017-mercedes-benz-slc-class_100539027_l.jpg

Oops, I guess this no new news then.

You can tell that I'm not really a fan of Mercedes and don't follow their models. They build a heavy brick of a car. I've driven numerous Mercedes and can honestly say I have never driven a Benz that I liked.

Anyone can build a heavy slug of a car. It takes true engineering prowess to build a stiff chassis, with accident protection, great performance, and good fuel economy in a light agile package. Hmmm, sounds like a SuperLite

A good example is this -> video of a head-on crash test between a 1959 Chevy Belair vs a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Despite the size difference, 1959 Belair driver would have died while the 2009 Malibu driver would have walked away.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
A good example is this -> video of a head-on crash test between a 1959 Chevy Belair vs a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Despite the size difference, 1959 Belair driver would have died while the 2009 Malibu driver would have walked away.

I'll bet any amount of money anyone may want to lose that the '59 in the vid was powered by a STRAIGHT SIX (if there even was an engine in it) as opposed to a 348 V8! Reason? Under the hood of a 6 cyl-powered '59, there's absolutely nothing in either corner of the engine compartment to slow down 'penetration'.

Another thing to consider is the fact that '58 thru '64 Chev full-size cars all employed "X" frames (as opposed to the 'ladder' variety) - probably THEE WORST frame any car can have in a "quarter-on" frontal collision. (The collision shown isn't a "head-on"...it's a "quarter-on".)

Now...shoot that same vid showing a 100% "head-on" collision using a 348/auto, a/c, p/s, p/b, p/w, p/seat-equipped '59 (you know, equipped like the '09 Malibu! [and, yes, all the options listed were available back then!]) and let's see what happens. :D

My point is this "test" was probably NOT set up in anything even close to being a 'non-biased' way at all. It's pretty obvious it was set up to ensure the desired results in the most dramatic fashion possible.

All that said, there's no question we're safer in TODAY'S cars than we were in the cars made 50 years ago. One would have to be 'certifiable' to believe/argue otherwise. Just the THOUGHT of being impaled on a rigid steering column should be enough to convert any 'non-believer'.

Last edited:
Justin,
been done as a three seater but required 5 inch longer wheelbase and 5 inches wider, we did it for a one off special a few years ago for a California Ferrari collector, also had a V8 Ferrari drivetrain installed.

Were there any pictures of this drivetrain installed?

All I want is an updated version of the SLC. Something lemans looking with 2 seats. The GTR looks beautiful and timeless but it's not the futuristic race car look I dream of. Fran seems like he's very busy with all these new models though hehe. Once there's more demand for a more modern body on the SLC and it gets released I'll be first in line. These cars get me feeling all funny inside.

Toyota-Le-Mans-2_j_2587984b.jpg

I think Fran's next car should be a replica of the Jaguar XJR 15! Love the longitudinal V12,
F16 canopy looking top...Used to maintain one and got to drive it more than owner did...
Intoxicating! Keep up the good work!

All I want is an updated version of the SLC. Something lemans looking with 2 seats. The GTR looks beautiful and timeless but it's not the futuristic race car look I dream of. Fran seems like he's very busy with all these new models though hehe. Once there's more demand for a more modern body on the SLC and it gets released I'll be first in line. These cars get me feeling all funny inside.

Toyota-Le-Mans-2_j_2587984b.jpg

x2 :lurker::lurker:

Back