ReCreated FAV Prints

I just recently purchased a set of the original FAV Chassis blueprints.

I Find the secrecy surround the Original FAV prints frustrating, so I want to begin recreating each print in modern cad format and publishing that information for free.

There is no catch, my hope is that once this information is out there, perhaps the complete data package for the monocoque can be developed in the public domain.
I have approximately 170 prints to convert, so this will be an ongoing project for at least 6 months.

I also would like to share the cad data I created, but can not do that on this forum as it is not supported. if anybody has suggestions on that, feel free to chime in. I was thinking of Posting them on Grabcad, but I am not sure.

If anyone has other original FAV Prints they want recreated in cad, message me. I do not want to post any of the original scanned prints in this thread.

If you notice any problems in the prints I post, let me know so I can fix them.

First Print

GT40P-1 2596-7

Attachments

• GT40P-1 2596-7_Wheel_Arch_Closing_Panel.pdf
    50.5 KB · Views: 641
GT40P-1 2020

Note the original print calls for EN2B Steel. If you were recreating this I would recommend a modern HSLA steel.

Attachments

• GT40P-1-2020_Plate_Reinf_Lower_Rear_Hoop.pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 423

Neil

Supporter
I suggest that your "recreation" drawings be clearly marked "reproduction" or something similar so that in coming years they are not interpreted as being original FAV drawings. We all know that they are not but in another generation our knowledge will probably fade away.

After spending quite a bit of time going thru these prints, I have come to the conclusion that I am approaching this backwards.

My plan on this moving forward is to first convert all of these drawings to cad data, and complete an assembly in cad. Some of the original drawings have dimensions that are unclear and even missing. By creating the assembly in cad, I can infer what these dimensions need to be, and clean up slight mismatches in the parts.

It also makes far more sense to produce modern prints that are not Incar (as in In-Car-Position). Its a practice that really isn't used or needed today, and I suspect the only reason it was used on the GT40 was to go from drafting board to finished car as fast as possible.

For those who want to see them, I uploaded the set of original prints that I had purchased.

On a side note, I do think the original prints make it very clear that these were "Toolroom Prototype" type cars. I very much doubt that any 2 chassis' were alike, and would not be surprised if there are a lot of undocumented on the fly changes.

These are the printes stolen from original drawings owned by a french gentleman some time back and have been edited trying to hide the history .
So this is also fraud trying to sell property derived from theft .

Someone on ebay listed this set last month I saw . That was removed by ebay for the same reasoning.

<<After spending quite a bit of time going thru these prints, I have come to the conclusion that I am approaching this backwards.>>
CAD design method using these informations is impossible to work because this is a hand build cahssis and panels have to be modified to keep to strict sub-structure reference point section by section otherwise you will finish 25mm out from one end to other end. The assembly drawings are not there ? Where will you make the alterations ? You want to make this adjustments on your screen somewere convenient ? It cannot be made on a screen into a simple clip together puzzle that is safe.
And no roof, no windshield frame , many important sub-structures missing ? many panel drawings out of date ? You are also advising on changing materials ?
I feel it is a very dangerous game.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
These are the printes stolen from original drawings owned by a french gentleman some time back and have been edited trying to hide the history .

Someone on ebay listed this set last month I saw . That was removed by ebay for the same reasoning.

<<After spending quite a bit of time going thru these prints, I have come to the conclusion that I am approaching this backwards.>>
CAD design method using these informations is impossible to work because this is a hand build cahssis and panels have to be modified to keep to strict sub-structure reference point section by section otherwise you will finish 25mm out from one end to other end. The assembly drawings are not there ? Where will you make the alterations ? You want to make this adjustments on your screen somewere convenient ? It cannot be made on a screen into a simple clip together puzzle that is safe.
And no roof, no windshield frame , many important sub-structures missing ? many panel drawings out of date ? You are also advising on changing materials ?

.....and so the story goes.....
Are we absolutely certain that this French gentleman came by the prints honestly?

Did FAV ever sell these prints or give copies to anyone?

Neil

Supporter
"Did FAV ever sell these prints or give copies to anyone?"

Randy, up until about two weeks ago I could have asked John.

I am being totally serious when I ask this. Do you know who has the original set these came from? Do you have their contact info? I would love to get in touch with this person.

I also highly doubt anyone will do anything with these prints other than look at them, it would take 10 years part time for a competent person to build a chassis on there own,

You also mistake "Infer" for making up. I am not going to just try and conger missing components, but I can figure out missing dimensions based on mating parts. Of course it wont be the entire chassis design, but it will be a step in the right direction, and maybe even nearly complete.

P1029 is an interesting addition to a user name given the topic.

Back