Registration/Title issues

Kyle

Supporter
So I go to the Florida tag agency armed with my insurance, MSO, Bill of sale, and application for certificate of title. Since there are no inspections in Florida I’m expecting this to be easy. No. They say my receipt is not original, well of course it isn’t, I bought it off eBay. They then claim I have to have the MSO signed on the back by RCR showing they gave me ownership.

Anyone else have these issues? It doesn’t make any sense why RCR would need to sign the back.

Howard Jones

Supporter
My advice when you run across a motor vehicle dept. employee who seems to be completely off base is this. Gather up all your paperwork, say thank you for the information, go to a different office or come back another day and talk to somebody else.

I have found that there is usually a specific employee at most large urban offices that is familiar with kit cars. These are usually known as Specially Constructed Vehicles or another similar description. You will have a much easier time of this if you find that person. Call around to the main large offices and ask who you should talk to.

I also found this:

https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/florida-registration.566/

Kyle

Supporter
Thanks that’s what I’m going to do. I spoke to fran and he informed me that no signing is necessary on the back of the MSO.

Part of the issue for me was the car has an MSO of 2014, same with the invoice, I’m sure it looks a bit sketchy that I’m applying for a title 7years later.

This old lady claimed she worked there since she was 19, clearly she has been misinformed.

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Or just say scru that and go to MT.

I did not have my MSO when the car shipped. I thought I lost it. Fran to the rescue and mailed it out 2 years after I bought the kit. Did not want the hassle of GA registration. These folks handled everything and it was a breeze.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Or just say scru that and go to MT.

I did not have my MSO when the car shipped. I thought I lost it. Fran to the rescue and mailed it out 2 years after I bought the kit. Did not want the hassle of GA registration. These folks handled everything and it was a breeze.
And possibly have these issues: https://litwinlaw.net/2019/09/20/bi...llc-at-avoid-georgias-7-tax-on-car-purchases/ https://www.ajc.com/news/luxury-car-owners-dodge-tax-with-montana-scheme/eF1HopLGbDX8EuvYzgNo6J/

Last edited:

Kyle

Supporter
That’s the thing, Florida should be super easy. No inspections, just VIN verification which I have from a notary. She claimed the MSO needed to be signed, but she had no idea what she was talking about. I’m sure it’s not often you get a car directly from a manufacturer which is what we have. Normally the MSO would be signed over at a dealer and then they handle the titling.
I actually have a contact with the DMV that I’ll try if the next office gives me issues.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I believe the number is $150k, so no issues for me and my GTR build.

Several states including New York are very suspicious of Montana titles. If you decide surrender a Montana title to register and title in NYS they will schedule a "hands on" inspection of the car and possibly demand sales tax if they determine you are a NYS resident and have avoided the taxes. Plus insurance companies base rates on where the vehicle is garaged so if it is in Georgia and not Montana they may consider that fraud and can deny a claim. Now if you genuinely have a Montana residence or business, that is a different kettle of fish! One of the law firms doing the Montana LLCs actually sells you a small storage unit in a "self storage" facility so you rent it out and can claim a "legitimate Montana LLC" business!

I recently titled my GT40 in Miami. The first place I went basically wanted my first born and had no idea what to do. I went to another place and got it titled in 15 minutes. From the tag agency I called and got insurance with Hagarty and walked out with the tag. All within 45 minutes. All you need is your MSO and the State of Florida notarized replica vehicle form you can download from the internet. They also need a copy of your sales receipt for tax purposes.

Kyle

Supporter
I recently titled my GT40 in Miami. The first place I went basically wanted my first born and had no idea what to do. I went to another place and got it titled in 15 minutes. From the tag agency I called and got insurance with Hagarty and walked out with the tag. All within 45 minutes. All you need is your MSO and the State of Florida notarized replica vehicle form you can download from the internet. They also need a copy of your sales receipt for tax purposes.
Do you remember what office you used?

Suniland Auto tag agency in Pincrest, Florida. 11287 South Dixie Hwy, Miami 33156. Never busy and might be worth a drive.

Kyle

Supporter
Today I got time to go to the place George recommend. He’s right, no wait at all. However, still no luck. The first clerk was clueless, the second at least knew what a replica was. But They are giving me issues about my name not anywhere on the MSO. They also were dumbfounded when I said it has 0 miles. They also claimed that because it was a replica that the year 2015 might be a problem.
For some reason they just can’t understand that RCR is not a dealer.

Might be worth stopping by the factory five forums. The sheer number of 65 roadsters and 33 coupes statistically guarantees a lot of people will have experience with Florida registration.

The only MSO I have ever seen was for an ERA GT and it had the purchasers name on it. I assume you take that to the DMV at which point a title and registration are created. What does your MSO say on it? Was the car never titled? If not, RCR should provide help here.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Lee
we sold the kit to the original purchaser not to the current owner
it’s actually illegal to “title hop” meaning not to register ownership
Kyle has contacted us already

Kyle

Supporter
As Fran said, I am in contact with them.

No I was never the original owner, this car sat for almost 6 years without being touched. I’ve lived in Florida for 4 years now and the amount of sh!t box cars you see on the road is astounding, that’s why I’m surprised it has been difficult. None the less, we will get it resolved.

PS, as always the point of posting anything is to provide information on what you may encounter and how to handle it. There’s many issues I would have never known how to resolve unless I had the wealth of knowledge in the forum.

Last edited:
I used to live in Houston, Texas, registered my Superformance GT40 MKII with no problem and got the license plates, etc., but then noticed I had not received the title from the State. Upon inquiry (they didn't notify me) it turned out the State was revising its laws and "maybe/probably" would approve the registration later if the revised law passed. That sealed my long-held plan to move to San Diego, California, and a few months later , and with the help of an expert, had no problem registering the car in California with tags, title and everything and am tooling happily around. Wonderful people and experience. My recommendation is: Do not believe anyone who says a certain state is easy or a certain state is tough to register in. Do your homework, expect issues, and, if possible, don't be afraid to hire someone with actual experience to help.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Back