Renault Transaxles

Gentlemen/Ladies we are getting a little unpleasant are we not?

What really surprises me is that there is debate about the availability of the Renault box in the USA. I buy all my engine parts from the USA and most folks are more than happy to stick a stamp or two on - shipping an engine costs 350-450 USD taxes add 15% or thereabouts. In Europe you can buy Renault and Audi transaxles from £50 upwards. If you do want a transaxle like this the answer is simple - import one! Our scrap yards are full of the dammed things...Worth bearing in mind that they were the transaxle for the Renault Master Van which could carry a tonne or more.

John,

Renault Master van used UN5 gearbox and not the UN1 gearbox. UN5 are unfortunately not suitable for our cars as the final drive is too high : 7x41 and also the internals ratio are different.

UN1 were only used in cars such as Venturi, Alpine, Lotus for the ehanced versions and Renault R25 V6 and R 21 turbo for the basic versions.

I don't know in UK but now in France you can't find any of these for 50 gbp in junkyards. I guess there are 2 reasons : these cars are too old (not stored any longer in junkyards) and also because there is still a great demand for these boxes.

Eventually, if you know any of these offered for sale at such price, please PM me.

Cheers

LP

John,

Renault Master van used UN5 gearbox and not the UN1 gearbox. UN5 are unfortunately not suitable for our cars as the final drive is too high : 7x41 and also the internals ratio are different.

UN1 were only used in cars such as Venturi, Alpine, Lotus for the ehanced versions and Renault R25 V6 and R 21 turbo for the basic versions.

I don't know in UK but now in France you can't find any of these for 50 gbp in junkyards. I guess there are 2 reasons : these cars are too old (not stored any longer in junkyards) and also because there is still a great demand for these boxes.

Eventually, if you know any of these offered for sale at such price, please PM me.

Cheers

LP

Good information. Can anyone tell me a little about the unit in my GTD? It's the R30 variant. What were they originally used in? It seems to have pretty nice ratios for the country roads I drive on. Seems pretty durable and slick through the gears...

Guys,

I am sure most of you know the attached documents already, but just in case some of you do not....

Attachments

• renault gearbox service manual.pdf
    904.8 KB · Views: 706
  • UN01-GetriebeCodes.pdf
    150.9 KB · Views: 605
Good information. Can anyone tell me a little about the unit in my GTD? It's the R30 variant. What were they originally used in? It seems to have pretty nice ratios for the country roads I drive on. Seems pretty durable and slick through the gears...

That should bee a 367 it´s a four speed and also the predessor for the un1 basically a un1 without the fifth gear.. I once had one of these split in two in my garage, 1:1 fourth and 4.11 diff.. Great for dragracing, but less so for the autobahn..

I might be wrong thou.........

That should bee a 367 it´s a four speed and also the predessor for the un1 basically a un1 without the fifth gear.. I once had one of these split in two in my garage, 1:1 fourth and 4.11 diff.. Great for dragracing, but less so for the autobahn..

I might be wrong thou.........

It's actually a 5 speed. The unit was used in the build of my car in a late GTD asembled in Gadsden, Alabama (Unique Cobras) assisted by two GTD factory workers from the UK.

The R30 is probably the strongest of the breed - call it the 369. The 367 was a smaller, earlier version I think from the Renault 17. The R30/369 has a 4-spider diff as standard and a 9 spine input shaft instead of the Renaults 21 spline. Nothing wrong with them. They also have a 3.89 diff. The R20 and R30 boxs look exactly the same as the Un1 box. The R20 2-litre car that has a 4.11 diff and 2-spider diff unit. I sold an R20 to a guy for an offroad racer and he has done well with it. There are a few differences in the renamed Un1 gearboxes though, just very very minor things like an oil dripper on the rear cover to drip oil into the input shaft for 5th gear oiling. The R21 Turbo has 32mm ouput halfshafts where the R30 has 30mm sizes. The 21Turbo has slightly wider needle roller bearings on the gears from the R30 unit. The oil fill/level hole on the side is in a different place on the R30 to the R21 boxes and there is revised ribbing around the output shaft bearing mounts. There is also the spring detent device on the R21T box that is supposed to promote better 2nd gear shifting.
If you looked into both boxes when apart you wouldnt know the difference. There are very minor ratio changes between the two. There are still quite a few around. I have 5 sitting in my garage and 2 on the bench. You can never have too many transaxles you know !!!

Bruce gave a very good information.

Just to add this info :

The 369 gearbox can be find in various versions in the following cars :

R20 TX/Ls/TS, R30 TX/TS and also R5 turbo 1 and turbo 2 and old Alpine A310....as far as I know

I dont know on other countries but here in France no junkyards have nolonger these cars (and so the gearboxes) still in their warehouses..unfortunately...

Cheers

LP

Back