Restoration Project?

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
1598455057882.png

...and I thought I had some work to do on my chassis.....

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Yeah, but where's the chassis plate? Is that restorable???

In all seriousness, what chassis is that? FAV/original?

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I was trawling the interweb and found it here....

GT40P/1070

#1070 – Mark 1 289 Cui Road Spec.

17/3/1967 – Roger West USA

1967 – Paul Higgenbottom

1968 – Charles Schmitt

1969 – Watts Hill Jnr.

1969 – Dick Leppla

1969 – Dick Baer

Destroyed in a fire c1970

1970’s – Bob Gressard (Wreck)

2000’s – restored by Gelscoe

2012 – ?? – UK

According to the comments on the "Where is it now?" thread:

Per Robert Gressard

"The car is 1070P. It has no racing history. It exploded in 1969 in Akron Ohio on RT 18. Notice the hubs and uprights are missing. A new car was built around them and the title. I owned it for 32 years."

"The driver is indeed alive and in his 80s. He survived the fire thanks to a motorist that dragged him out. We spent an afternoon last year at a local car show gabbing about cars. The rubber fuel cells burst with 40 gallons of fuel on board. I bought the car from him in 1972. It sat in a field uncovered. It sat in my barn for the next 32 years. There is a car with this serial number in England all restored. Ask yourself which is the real car?"

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
According to the comments on the "Where is it now?" thread:

Per Robert Gressard

"The car is 1070P. It has no racing history. It exploded in 1969 in Akron Ohio on RT 18. Notice the hubs and uprights are missing. A new car was built around them and the title. I owned it for 32 years."

"The driver is indeed alive and in his 80s. He survived the fire thanks to a motorist that dragged him out. We spent an afternoon last year at a local car show gabbing about cars. The rubber fuel cells burst with 40 gallons of fuel on board. I bought the car from him in 1972. It sat in a field uncovered. It sat in my barn for the next 32 years. There is a car with this serial number in England all restored. Ask yourself which is the real car?"

Absolutely amazing.... I hope Ronnie Spain is on this...

I have spoken to the current caretaker of of chassis 1070 - last I spoke with him a few months (year or more??) back, the current 1070 car was being restored back to the original spec - I have some pics from it's original delivery from St Louis to Greensboro, NC, courtesy of my father.

I posted up this thread a while back - so it will add to the known history of 1070 - https://www.gt40s.com/threads/might-someone-know-this-car.49026/

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Not that it matters or that anybody will care, but, IMPO a car that's as far 'gone' as the one being discussed here cannot really BE "restored" in the truest sense. There's nothing left on it in good enough condition TO restore.

Whatever restoration may come of this will amount to simply slapping the car's original Vin Tag (if it's survived) onto what will actually be a completely different car (whether NOS parts are used or not) and CALLING it a "restoration".

"Real world" what it will actually be is a CLONE...regardless of what "authorities" may insist to the contrary...and there are those who will.

'Going to my room now...

i think this should get 3d scanned as is and put up on the web so someone can visually walk around and through it. i find it facinating to look at the way its all constructed and laied out. Its also interesting to see how time and the fire has taken parts of its sole.

Back