RF GT40

Chris Duncan

Supporter
I think you have to consider the volumn of heat in this case since the exhaust gas is flowing through the pipes. If it's not transfering as much heat through the metal because it transfers slower then more is going out the exit. Not ultimate temp but volumn of that temp.

It's a dynamic situation. Air is flowing through the engine compartment to carry away heat. If the heat is being transfered more slowly by the stainless then the air will have more time to remove that heat and stay ahead of the transfer.

[ QUOTE ]
Tip to all - Get your headers coated after initial dyno tuning and ECU setting up as this usually kills ceramic coatings.
Cheers,

[/ QUOTE ]

or better still... use a friends exhaust to tune... they charge extra to chemically clean the pipes once they have been used /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm in the process of getting mine coated by HPC as well.
HPC also claim some power improvments. I've not investigated the science but I understand that it has something to do with keeping the speed of the exhaust up by keeping it from cooling (less heat transfer = hoter exhaust = greater volume = greater exhaust speed).

I recently found some photo's of the car being used in anger at Barbagallo raceway here in Perth not long ago. The event was a twighlight sprint run both late in the afternoon and into the evening. Great fun but a bit hairy in the dark. I love the night shot with flame coming from the exhaust! There is also a shot of Cos Sorgiovani's red twin turbo attached also.

The photos are credited to Phil Luyer of High Octane Photos.

Enjoy.
RV
f40dd9a6.jpg

f40dd9a3.jpg

f40dd996.jpg

f40dd9a7.jpg

f40dd9aa.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Great photos Rick, I missed them eariler!!!I like the flame shot, and I bet the twin turbo is really neat to hear - it is a DRB isn't it? Nice car!

I just saw the bit on the springs too. I would think something in the 450-550 range in the rear would be good, while the front might be around 300 maybe? Sounds like they are too soft from the factory, your car has got a mean lean on in the first photo that could be easily corrected. We've got a store house of 2.5" and 2.25" ID springs around so maybe I can try various rates and see what works.

Hi Ron,
Cosi's car is a GTD and is about 14 years old now but still a fine looking car. He has also had a one off sequential gearbox made for it which is also a very nice bit of gear.
I ended up with 450lb rear springs and sorted out the rear ride height. I am now fitting 400lb front and am just waiting for them to arrive (tomorrow with luck) The front end has always been too soft on the track but is quite nice on the street (Especially West Aussie goat tracks they call roads!)
I am looking forward to the next event to see how the car goes with the revised spring arrangements.

Next step is some decent R spec rubber (Probably Dunlops)

Cheers,
RV

Rick,
The car looks great. I like them colors.
I have 300 LBS springs up front and 250 in the rear. I'm not that great of a driver to tell the difference but it seems to work for me pretty well on the track.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Rick,
I see that the silver car behind your beautiful silver 40 on the track coppied the mirrors on the 40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Joseph
PS: Come to think of it it coppied the mirrors on my CAV.

Attachments

• 58773-Untitled-3.jpg
    58773-Untitled-3.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 384

Ron Earp

Admin
If they are RX7 mirrors then you copied Hershal as he has been posting about them on 40s for four plus years around here! ;-)

Yes, They are RX7 mirrors. Just be mindfull that RH drive needs the correct mirrors as lhD and RHD are different.

Mazda MX5 / Miata or the new Mini ones would work well and suit the styling also.

Cheers,
RV

Rick is correct.
Chuck's Gulf RFGT has the Mini mirrors. Mine has the 1984 RX-7 mirrors.

Attachments

• 58804-1Lemans.jpg
    58804-1Lemans.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 394

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Rick, still on mirrors, from your post of 20th May, do you (or anyone) know what the mirrors on the red car #43 are? I'm asking this because I am looking for something that sits wide and high. Any suggestions from anybody? I've seen photos of the high mount DRB ones but, whilst they are just the ticket visionwise, they don't quite appeal to me aesthetically.

Regards

Yes the RX7 mirrors are electric items. i got them from the brakers yard inc the controller pretty cheap.

I am unsure as to the mirrors from cossie's (43) car. I will be seeing him on the 3/12/05 and can ask then.
Cheers

Russ,
I have looked at the C5 corvette mirrors and they all are electric. I like them because they have a longer stalk than all the others. If you have Gulf flares on your car these mirrors would be the best.

I have noticed that fewer and fewer cars have mirrors that aren't stuck to the window or window frame. Occasionally when I'm sitting in traffic I find myself looking at different cars and their mirrors. A couple possibilities for folks with GT40 replicas:

1. BMW M Roadster (this was the M version of the Z3, mirrors are sort of ovoid like the mini but the proportions look somewhat less bulbous than the mini).

2. BMW Z3 (slightly different and less oval than #1)

3. Honda 2000 roadster (unlike #1 which is all rounded the mirror body has a crease in it that perhaps goes with the GT40 with it's lines)

These should all be available electric and possibly with defrost!

Mitch

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Rick, thanks, when you find out I'd like to know.

Hersh, I'll check out the C5 option, only thing is down here we're starved of muscle cars and ANY Corvette is seen as desirable and valuable. They just don't wind up in the breakers yards here! I may have to import the mirrors if that's what I need, but that's not a problem. Thanks for the steer.

Regards

Back