RF suspension bushing source (Logan Era)

Jim Dewar

Supporter
All of my soft suspension bushings have exploded! I cant seem to find a source. Has anyone had this problem? The bushings are crumbling apart sitting in my shop and I don't have the means to machine a set. HELP

Hi Jim I had the same issue and contacted R.F. and they were able to supply them. Send them an E-Mail and see if they still have these. Wally

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Thanks Guys, Howard I've tried all those sources but no luck!
I'm sending RF an email to see if they can supply as they did for you.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I had the same problem with my Cobra, but one of the websites Howard posted above has a huge selection and if they don't have what you need in stock they will custom make them up for you.

Here's a size chart from which you may find your item in stock...you'll need a way to take very precise measurements from your old bushings (or the mounts). If they still don't have your size, call them for custom sizing:

Energy Suspension Universal Bushings

This was the only company I found that could supply what I needed.

Cheers!

Doug

Hi Jim As I'm getting mine ready for another summer I found another set of these crumbling. I found this information on the bushings, Pacemaker RE3 MELB More information Here Pacemakers Suspension Components
http://www.pacemakerpl.com.au/products/size1.html

Below didn't stay as I typed it, See the Web page to see it as it should be.

Part Outside Inside Length Head Head Crush Tube
Number Diameter Diameter Under Head Thickness Dia. OD X ID X Length

RE3 30 MM 18 MM 17.25 MM 5 MM 36 MM 18 X 13.2 X 44.2

Wally

Last edited:

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Thanks Doug and Wally, Doug that maybe my best option if I can't find something off the shelf. I spoke to Paul at RF today and he was kind enough to source a set for me even though they are not a stock item for the new RF.
Wally thats interesting, I removed a trailing arm to measure and found the I/D of the tube 27.41mm x tube length 33.98mm. The bushing was a cut to length by RF when it was installed. I won't receive the new bushings for several weeks and will measure when they arrive. I can ask Paul for additional bushings when he emails me the info today, if you need some.

Hi Jim I took it these were as made, I see now that they have been resized. The ones you have are the smaller set of the 2 , I don't know how they make the longer set as the stock size bushings are only 17.25 MM long and the long ones measure 27 MM under the head. The ones I have are the correct dimensions for your application. With my car being so much older I was worried that they may have been different. I do remember it being quite a while before these showed up once ordered and I'm glad I had a full set as I seem to need a set somewhere every year now that I started replacing them as they crumble. I'm glad you brought it to my attention that these don't match the size chart on the web site as I am going to make sketches of these with dimensions so I can make these or have them made when I need more. Wally

Keith

You guys using rubber bushing? Wouldn't poly be a better bet? (no more crumbling) or better still, aluminium?

Perhaps too hard for the street though....:idea:

Jim Dewar

Supporter
When the new bushings arrive and while installing, I plan to document all the sizes so they can be reproduced here with a more durable material. I believe Energy Suspensions and others will reproduce bushings.

Hi Keith According to the web site these are Poly, As I had not heard of anyone else having issues with these I thought it was just my car and that there may have been a misalignment issue I was missing. There's a shop in town that specializes in Plastics and the owner is very knowledgeable as to what may be the best suited material to make these out of, Hopefully He will have some in stock so I can just machine new ones as needed. Jim if you need these now PM Me and I can send you a set or 2 till yours show up. Wally

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
When I was trying to have new bushings machined for my Cobra I bought a rod of a material called Delrin (it's been a few years, hope that's right!) One of the benefits of Delrin was suppose to be that it is self-lubricating, so no squeaks from the suspension. In the end the party was unable to deliver the bushings and so I just went with the polyurethane bushings from suspension.com and used anti-sieze to lube them, as directed by the included instructions. They have functioned flawlessly to date and there is no noticable wear.

That product was quite expensive, IIRC. It was available only in a 10' rod and as I recall the cost was $70. Of course, I only needed a couple of feet at most, but had to buy the whole rod from the wholesaler.

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:
As I had not heard of anyone else having issues with these I thought it was just my car and that there may have been a misalignment issue I was missing.

Wally
I have heard of a few issues with owners in the past. It must be the material they are made of. I had a set sitting on the shelf for a while (not used) and when I picked them up, they crumbled into a million bits...
Have found the blue poly bush material from 'SuperPro' has held together for many more years on my other cars.
As for my RF, I changed all the bushes out for rod ends at the start. No bind in the rear suspension now.

Clayton

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Thanks Wally, I can wait for RF to send me a set. I would love to know how your conversation goes with the local guy. That may be the best route if he can machine them from better material.

I am sure you are aware (and as Clayton sort of hinted at), the rear suspension is really better suited to rod end / heim joints rather than bushes of any type as the pivots roll through differing axis so, they will always strain and deform a bush.

For example, when my car was built originally the poly bushes were worn out before the car was even driven due to deformation with the rear suspension at full droop during the build.

I would expect a solid bush such as delrin, bronze, etc, to be even worse as there would be no give at all through the suspension motion and would actually strain the mountings and fasteners.

I changed to rod ends which removes any binding, allows the suspension to work better and the amount of noise / vibration difference is barely if at all noticeable.

Worth considering from my point of view.

These bushes that "crumble" are actually being torn to shreds. The small diameter and the expected arc in the working range of the suspension will just tear any bush to bits, there is nowhere near enough rubber between the inner and outer sleeves of the bush for this purpose. Car manufacturers work with much larger diameter bushes to avoid this.

Bob

Have any RF owners found a different source to replace these poly bushings? Thanks, Dan

Last edited:
I rebuilt a CAV GT40 suspension, and had similar issues with not finding the bushings.
I have 1/2" bolts/bars, so ended up buying Powerflex PF99-110 bushings. Then I turned the PU on a lathe down by 1mm and it was a perfect fit.
Apart from that, most PU can be bought in bar-stock, and any machine shop can make you exactly what you want.
Looking at the PF99-110 is a good idea to learn about the details of such PU bushing (sleeve dimensions, nylon washers, etc.)

Back