RHD to LHD conversion

Hi all,

I have seen that to buy an unfinished car or an old car in England and upgrade it to one´s specs is a very good way to go but...

As all these cars are right handed, would it be very difficult ($) or unsafe to change it to left hand drive?.
Anyone of you can do it?

Thanks,

Javier

G

Javier, it really depends on the design, but most have been offered in both L and R. The most obvious change that has to take place is the dash board as they are mirror images of one another. Next is the shifter location and this might easily be the most difficult part, especially if it is mounted on the right hand sill console and not between the seats. The pedal assemblies might be right up there, as well, w.r.t. the difficulty. Beyond that, there are rack & pinion units that should be easily interchangeable. There should be nothing unsafe about it unless you have to disect critical structural components to fit the steering column, shift mechanism or pedal assembly in. But again, since many replicas have been offered in both R & L hand drive, I would think that the design will accomodate either. I can't imagine that they would build two different chassis.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynn Larsen:
But again, since many replicas have been offered in both R & L hand drive, I would think that the design will accomodate either. I can't imagine that they would build two different chassis.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure about GTD, which is what I imagine Javier is looking at, but the RF chassis is different. In addition to the steering column bracket, the seat cross members, pedal box plate, harness mounting bosses, and water pipe tunnel/emergency brake frame structure are different between right and left hand drive models.

G

The GTD should be possible to convert if you can get a replacement dash and can weld to a good standard. Replicating the brackets from one side to the other should be straight forward enough. I don't think that there are that many to do. Water pipes need some thought but not too difficult. Don't just invert the steering rack (I can't imagine what effect that would have!), you should need a replacement!

However if you are going for a more authentic replica, keep it right hand drive as per original!

Malcolm

Javier,
I will have the very problem(s) you are considering. As my car will not be arriving for about a month there is not a lot of specifics I can tell you. However, the video of my car helped me outline the things required.
My unit is a DRB and this setup is different from the GTDs. However, the basics are the same. You will need a new dash ( can probably sell your old one to offset ). You cannot invert the rack and pinion. The steering will be backwards. Turn right and the tires turn left. You should be able to find suitable replacement, either through your local junk yard, such as the mazda 323 etc., or go the aftermarket route. Like those found in Rod and Custom magazine or other restoration mag. Just know your measurements before you order. The pedal assembly can be moved fairly easily, but be up on your welding skills. You may want to change the type of assembly at that time if you don't like the current setup. ( floor to swing ) Especially if you have big feet. The swing setup allows you to space the pedals a little further apart. I can't comment on your tunnel. Not familiar with GTDs But you should be able to fabricate a new tunnel to house all the cables and tubes. If nothing else, it will give you a chance to inspect what's in the tunnel ( rust, leaks, insulation ). Your shifter choice will be dictated by the transaxel you will be using. Then your tunnel mods will be dictated by that. Figure these expenses into the price of the car you are looking at. Then decide if the hassels are worth the difference. It all comes down to how much are you willing to do, or put up with, to get what you want.
Bill

This is hard to answer when you don't know the skills or facilities available. I know that there are many competent shops in the Santiago area, but remember you are dealing with a car that was built in the UK using UK available parts. I would recommend that you contact some of the builders in England and see what they would charge to convert before you ship to Chile. Frank Catt comes to mind as a good possible fabricator. I know there are others-maybe the UK guys could recomend someone.

Back