RHD vs LHD

Ron and others fellow members,

who live in USA but have RHD cars. Why did you choose that? With this cars you should be passing a lot of vehicules
wink.gif
Isn´t this a little bit unsafe? What am I missing?

Regards,

Javier

The original race cars were right hand drive,right hand shift because LeMans is run clockwise therefore there are more right hand turns which are easier to make in a right hand drive car. The reason that the ignition switches are on the left (Porsche's still are) is so that you could run across the track,jump in, fire up with your left hand and shift into first with your right. Seat belt fastening came later.
Driving a right hand car in the US isn't as bad as you might think but unless it's an original I wouldn't do it.

My RF is right-hand drive. I considered converting it over to LHD but extensive modifications to the chassis would be required. I don't think it'll be a problem, but I will have to adapt my driving style in certain situations.

Ron Earp

Admin
It certainly isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Basically, vision from the 40 is very poor. Add to that the fact that you're only shifted to the right about 18" from your "normal" left hand 40 position. Not much difference. I think they look much neater as replicas being right hand drive, certainly look the authentic part more, and get people's attention for sure, as if the car already won't.

R

Mine's LHD. Why? That's a good question. I never really thought about it. I drive my Hyundai (yeah I said Hyundai) on the left and didn't opt to get the RHD version so why do it with my GT.
I really wouldn't mind either way but I think it would get really old always going up to the left then going damn wrong side.
John

G

RHD is obviously more authentic and fine for the track.However visibilty is bad enough on a GT40 anyway ,why make matters worse and put your passenger in potential danger each time you try and overtake in non freeway diving?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FLY:
RHD is obviously more authentic and fine for the track.However visibilty is bad enough on a GT40 anyway ,why make matters worse and put your passenger in potential danger each time you try and overtake in non freeway diving?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see that as an issue if you aren't directly behind (i.e., tailgating) the mobile obstacle in front of you. Just lay back a little bit and you can see the road ahead. Or, you can enlist the aid of your passenger.

Considering all the yahoos and their SUVs, I think the low ride height of the 40 is more of a safety issue than RHD in the USA.

Another thing that helps is to shorten the time spent in the passing lane. I find dropping down a gear, bringing the revs up,engaging the clutch briskly, planting your right foot, and letting a 427 tunnel port with dual quads push through a T44 usually does the trick.
Best
Jim

During all the years of planning (hoping) to get a GT40, I felt I would never want a right-hand drive car. A great deal came along that was RHD and I decided to jump on it. So many people at shows are wowed by it and ask if it's weird driving on the right. I tell them it came very naturally and I love it! To me, part of the thrill is driving on the right...it's a GT40. As mentioned in the other replies, visability is poor and driving one takes utmost attention from either side especially if original bullet mirrors (small) are used. With some seat time, I've grown quite comfortable driving it. Bottom line is don't be afraid of RHD.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Actually, if you think about it, a GT40 isn't strictly RHD in the sense that a British or Down-Under car is, because the gearshift on a GT40 is still righthanded, not lefthanded. I would have much more trouble getting used to a left-handed gearchange than I would just sitting on the "other" side of the car but still doing everything the same. When I bought a Mini, which was recently, I decided to get a lefthand drive one. It makes tolls, etc a lot easier. Passing is not an issue as you can't pass anything in a Mini. But my GT40 is going to be righthand drive- because the man who is building the tub, who is a purist, refuses to build anything else...abd it will look more authentic that way.
By the way, Jim, I like your passing instructions, can't wait to try them out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MK -IV J6:
...dropping down a gear, bringing the revs up,engaging the clutch briskly, planting your right foot, and letting a 427 tunnel port with dual quads push through a T44 usually does the trick.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's a mental image to get the old "I need a GT40" juices to flowin'.
shocked.gif

G

An English perspective to this discussion may be of interest....

I agree with the comments about keeping the cars RHD as per the originals. My good friend Brian (from Boston) has had this discussion with me a few times. But being not a small fellow he will be more in a central driving position car than perhaps most others would be! Becomes irrelevant then.

Rear visibility sucks in a forty and there is a huge blind spot and on more than one occaision I have been motorway cruising to an event and pulled out in front of something I shouldn't have. You develop the knack of craning you neck every which way to check your path is clear. Or put in a baby watching mirror from Mother Care as a big blind spot mirror!

I think that a RHD car on the wrong side of the road (as in most parts of the world other than the UK!) will not be a hindrance. You will be able to see behind you perhaps better from a RHD position than we can looking out our drivers side door mirror. Overtaking lorries is easy, look under them. It works! Problem at junctiosn is more likely to be long grass on the road verges! You can't see over it sometimes.

I also thought that the US roads are generally massively wide (and more straight) compared to UK roads so you can have a peek out in more saftey than we could here if roles were reversed.

Right hand gear shifting is odd to us Brits. However you will find yorself in such an alien environment at first that you rarely forget that whether it be RHD or the gear stick being on the wrong side, you remember exactly what to do differently....unless you drive with an instinctive reaction. I once had a moment when out on the road. I needed to change gear quickly and went for a centre shift and nearly headbutted the dash as I missed the gear stick by about 2 feet! Similar to sitting down on the loo without putting the seat down first! Makes you jump. No longer a problem after many fun miles of motoring.

Anyway if you build RHD cars and us Brits come pay you a visit we shall be able to drive your cars no problem!!!!

Malcolm

Gents,

I fully agree with Malcolm. I currently drive a 1991 BMW M3 here in the UK which was only ever available in LHD. I have also driven an array of other LHD (Chrysler, Pontiac etc) stuff in the UK and have never had any problems. You just get used to it. You do need to hang back when over taking though, but this only makes things safer over all. The only pain is going through a toll booth when you either need very long arms or gymnastic abilities.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending what frame of mind I am in at the time, the M3 is just about to go up for sale so that I can build a GT40 replica, probably Tornado. Any one had any good or bad experiences with Tornado?

If any one would like to give a good home to a mint 1991 215hp M3.........

Cheers.

Paul.

Back