ricardo bolts

FYI, I just ordered bolts for the Ricardo axel hubs from ARP. They are grade 12.9 180,000 lb untimate tensile 8mm x 1.25 x 25mm 12 point black. I talked to Fran, he said the would be ample strength. They cost me $1.86 each.

They holes in the washer need to be touched with a drill bit to give about a .030 chamfer. The max torque is 24 ft lbs, 22 ft lbs was suggested with ARP Ultra Torque lube.

Thanks Al!

For those who need context, some of the Ford GTs, the source of most of the Ricardo transaxles in circulation, had a problem early in their life with axle bolts that had an improper heat treatment, causing the bolts to fail prematurely.

Ford eventually came out with a fix (revised bolts that did have the right heat treatment) but that took a little time, and the aftermarket stepped up in the interim. Accufab contracted with ARP to make a kit that includes the 4 bolts Al mentioned, as well as a washer for each side, and all the bolts needed to hold the CV to the transaxle bell. Those kits are still available but are pretty expensive (around $200), which is why Al's discovery of inexpensive but strong bolts is a Good Thing.

Most of the Ricardo transaxles have already been upgraded, but if you have one, and are unsure if it was fixed during the Ford recall campaign, this is a cheap and easy fix.

Perhaps Al can share the part numbers?

Thanks Al!

For those who need context, some of the Ford GTs, the source of most of the Ricardo transaxles in circulation, had a problem early in their life with axle bolts that had an improper heat treatment, causing the bolts to fail prematurely.

Ford eventually came out with a fix (revised bolts that did have the right heat treatment) but that took a little time, and the aftermarket stepped up in the interim. Accufab contracted with ARP to make a kit that includes the 4 bolts Al mentioned, as well as a washer for each side, and all the bolts needed to hold the CV to the transaxle bell. Those kits are still available but are pretty expensive (around $200), which is why Al's discovery of inexpensive but strong bolts is a Good Thing.

Most of the Ricardo transaxles have already been upgraded, but if you have one, and are unsure if it was fixed during the Ford recall campaign, this is a cheap and easy fix.

Perhaps Al can share the part numbers?

I"ll post the part # when I get my email receipt, thanks Will

But you also need the hardened washers with them, and I don't know if ARP sells those separately or only if you buy the accufab package (the hardened washers are noticably different than the stock washers).

Also, torque is 26-28ft-lbs + blue loctite + safety wire according to Accufab.

Cam has in at 40ftlbs, heh, but that seems pretty steep to me

But you also need the hardened washers with them, and I don't know if ARP sells those separately or only if you buy the accufab package (the hardened washers are noticably different than the stock washers).

Also, torque is 26-28ft-lbs + blue loctite + safety wire according to Accufab.

Cam has in at 40ftlbs, heh, but that seems pretty steep to me

Alex, When I talked to the tech ARP this afternoon he told me:
The holes in the washer need to be touched with a drill bit to give about a .030 chamfer. The max torque is 24 ft lbs, 22 ft lbs was suggested with ARP Ultra Torque lube.
I asked if I needed the washers. He said the chamfer was needed if the washers were not used because of the shape of the underside of the bolt head. I guess it wouldn't hurt to safety wire, but they failed originally because of faulty heat treating, not tightening.

Are you sure these are the same as the bolts in the Accufab package? I only ask because i find it weird that ARP would give you different torque values, plus the fact when I called several months ago they insisted the washer/bolts were specifically don't for accufab and couldn't be sold separately - i.e., you had the buy the 4bolts, 2 washers, and ?24? axle bolts

Are you sure these are the same as the bolts in the Accufab package? I only ask because i find it weird that ARP would give you different torque values, plus the fact when I called several months ago they insisted the washer/bolts were specifically don't for accufab and couldn't be sold separately - i.e., you had the buy the 4bolts, 2 washers, and ?24? axle bolts

I don't know if they are the same bolts, I only know that given the grade, 12.9, they will handle the problem if you chamfer the existing washers and torque with ARP lube that was suggested. I called, gave the size, length and pitch, told the tech I wanted the highest grade they had, and thats what he gave me. I called Fran, he said the grade was ample.

I don't know if they are the same bolts, I only know that given the grade, 12.9, they will handle the problem if you chamfer the existing washers and torque with ARP lube that was suggested. I called, gave the size, length and pitch, told the tech I wanted the highest grade they had, and thats what he gave me. I called Fran, he said the grade was ample.

O I C.

I thought you meant you had gotten ARP to separate the accufab bolts into separate bolts for you, my mistake!

There was a reason though you also wanted to replace the washers (although i realize the bolts were the issue sheering) ... can't recall what Accufab told me now, but it went beyond just the fact you would have to modify the stocker washers.

Just out of curiosity, do the 12.9 bolts from ARP have some special quality beyond just standard 12.9 bolts?

A 12.9 grade bolt is very strong....very hard metal. Try cutting a 12.9 bolt with a hacksaw....

Just out of curiosity, do the 12.9 bolts from ARP have some special quality beyond just standard 12.9 bolts?

A 12.9 grade bolt is very strong....very hard metal. Try cutting a 12.9 bolt with a hacksaw....

ARP has developed a reputation for having excellent bolts and providing the right lube and correct torque specs for their bolts. The techs can also tell you why one bolt will work and one will not due to it's makeup. Good company.

Al, great price. I originally bought hte accufab kit to get the drilled axle bolts then found them too short to use. the washer in the accufab kit is about 20% thicker but i guess the stock Ricardo washer would work? ok 40 ft/lb was a guess from 6 months ago

Al, great price. I originally bought hte accufab kit to get the drilled axle bolts then found them too short to use. the washer in the accufab kit is about 20% thicker but i guess the stock Ricardo washer would work? ok 40 ft/lb was a guess from 6 months ago

The original washers will work if you chamfer the outside of the hole about .030 with a drill bit in order to accept the inside shoulder of the ARP bolt.

ARP has developed a reputation for having excellent bolts and providing the right lube and correct torque specs for their bolts. The techs can also tell you why one bolt will work and one will not due to it's makeup. Good company.

Al, yup, no doubt - have ARP bolts all over my lowly Ford Racing 302 engine. I'm just wondering if the ARP bolts are anything special over a standard 12.9. Sometimes there's a certain finish (zinc or shot peen or ?) which makes it better for the application for example. 12.9 is an industry spec (stretch, breaking strength, sheer, etc.) so that's standardized as a floor/threshold spec, but perhaps ARP makes em even stronger than the 12.9 spec.

The torque spec for your bolts will be more dependent on what those 12.9s are threading into rather than the bolt itself as the threads and bore material will not be as hard or as strong as the 12.9 bolt is.

In any case, you're in good hands with ARP.

Back