Ricardo hydraulic clutch hookup

I'm currently working on my brake and clutch lines - how does the hydraulic clutch hookup point on the Ricardo (what I'm assuming to be that foil-covered thingie on the passenger side) connect to 3/16'' IF hardline? It doesn't look threaded, so I have no idea what type of adapter(s) would be used...

You have to remove the existing FGT hose, and install a metric-to-AN fitting. Then you
can run a flex hose from the hard line to the adaptor. I assume you have the larger hard line (3/16"?) from the clutch MC as Fran determined that the original size line was too small.

My brake and clutch lines are all 3/16, so I should be good to go there!

You wouldn't happen to know the metric/AN size for it, would you? Me and metric sometimes don't get along nicely =)

*scratches head* Wait - if my hard line is 3/16'', that means the AN fitting will be -3 .... -3 hose seems pretty darn small compared to what's currently there (that silver foil covered thingie), no???

Attachments

• DSCF2019.jpg
    DSCF2019.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 490
Okay, thanks for the size!

Btw, while we're talking about the Ricardo unit, is there anything special you have to do (e.g., have clutch installed) prior to bolting on the starter?

The reason I ask is because when I was searching for information on the Ford GT starter, I came across a post on a site which indicated the starter had to be bought with the clutch (which as far as i can tell is wrong) and had to be installed after the engine/clutch/transaxle are all bolted together.....if you have the transaxle, and just the transaxle, sitting there, can you just bolt up the starter and call it a day?

Okay, thanks for the size!

Btw, while we're talking about the Ricardo unit, is there anything special you have to do (e.g., have clutch installed) prior to bolting on the starter?

The reason I ask is because when I was searching for information on the Ford GT starter, I came across a post on a site which indicated the starter had to be bought with the clutch (which as far as i can tell is wrong) and had to be installed after the engine/clutch/transaxle are all bolted together.....if you have the transaxle, and just the transaxle, sitting there, can you just bolt up the starter and call it a day?

I did, the trans in the pic above has no clutch in it. even when the clutch is mounted the starter gear teeth do not engage unless you are starting the engine with power from the battery.

Attachments

• DSCF2014.jpg
    DSCF2014.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 484

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Alex

On the clutch line it would be worthwhile running it 1/4 inch as opposed to 3/16

The drag on moving the amount of fluid needed to fully move the slave cylinder through such a small pipe over the didtance required in a mid engined car causes clutch to slip when dumping it.

For a road car you could get away with it but easier to run the larger line now rather than later

Ian

Alex, I do remember a post long ago that mentioned using an AN-4 line for the clutch on the Ricardo. Can't find it though...

Would it be sufficient to just change the Ricardo line to -4 and use 3/16 all the way throughout, or would it be even better to use -4 there AND 1/4'' all the way?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking at fittings and have no way how I'd do 1/4''...

It goes:

Wilwood master cylinders: -3 out
stainless braided hose to firewall bulkhead: -3hose to 3/16'' IF

and I don't see any -3 to 1/4'' bulkheads, let alone and 1/4'' to -4AN bulkheads.......

oops, nevermind; didn't look hard enough - found the adapter fittings.

But I'd also like to hear back from others their thoughts on upgrading to 1/4'' line........Ian's theory makes sense though, but always good to get additional feedback before I start chopping away at things :D

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think Fran / RCR had a problem with the -3 Clutch line at an event and they changed to a -4 and all was well...

Quite honestly I've never had the need for anything larger than a -3 but I've never used a Ricardo either...

I see re-run clutch lines in my future, hehe.

Btw, if you went like this:

(wilwood masters) -3 to (hardline) 1/4'' to (Ricardo slave) -3,

would that be any different than

-3 to 1/4'' to -4 (slavE)?

Only reason I ask is because I can find bulkheads that go -3 to 1/4'', but not -4 to 1/4''

Oops, forgot this. Aeroquip #FBPA004-10-04
It is a made up 10" braided stainless -4AN. This # has straight ends but can be purchased with a 90 on one end or both and 10" 12" and several lengths.

oh poop, that isn't the right fitting (atleast I don't think it is) I made male AN end, female IF (inverted flare) end. :/

Back