Ricardo Transaxle connectors

I found the correct electrical connectors for the reverse switch and VSS sender
The reverse switch is same one as the T 5 manual transmission. [email protected]
VSS sender connector is the same as 94' Mustang or Crown Victoria. Standard auto part # S699. $6.83 from Rock Auto
I have not yet found the right one for the starter motor

Last edited:
Nice one Lynn - if you find the correct starter one I'll be interested for sure, but for the moment have used a 4.8mm female blade. A correct fitting/securing item would be preferable though.

Well done Lynn, do you know the connector brand (Tyco, Sumitomo etc)? I would like to buy the new parts as these cars are not in Australia. Can you post photos of the connectors so that I can identify the connector, seal and terminal part numbers (I work for an electrical harness manufacturing company called Tyco so I will be able to get the parts). Thanks in advance.

Well done Lynn, do you know the connector brand (Tyco, Sumitomo etc)? I would like to buy the new parts as these cars are not in Australia. Can you post photos of the connectors so that I can identify the connector, seal and terminal part numbers (I work for an electrical harness manufacturing company called Tyco so I will be able to get the parts). Thanks in advance.

the only numbers I know are the ones in the above post. the backup fits a 85 to 92 t5 Camaro/ firebird trans which cam from ebay eBay Motors: TPI T5 Reverse Back Up Lights Pigtail Wiring Connector (item 380038811594 end time Apr-14-09 19:57:33 PDT).

the VSS is for the 94 Crown vic I got from rock auto

Attachments

• 9b26_1.JPG
    9b26_1.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 292
  • getimage.php.jpeg
    getimage.php.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 285

Ron Earp

Admin
That picture on the left and shown in the Ebay auction, that connector is a standard WeatherPak connector. You can get complete kits for those from Summit and Jegs. Have a lot of them at home.

Does anyone have the pinouts for the reverse switch. I need to replace mine as the wires melted on the pipes.

The reverse switch just closes a connection when reverse is selected. Thus, the two wires are interchangable from the wiring perspective: they both go to the switch, and it doesn't matter which one carries the positive or negative side of the circuit.

Thanks Will. Much appreciated.
Do you have any thought on exhaust wrap. I'm concerned I'm going to have heat issues with these pipes.

One other quick question - does the VSS get used with the digi-dash?
I have a magnet/sensor on the left front wheel that the digi-dash uses for speed.

One other quick question - does the VSS get used with the digi-dash?
I have a magnet/sensor on the left front wheel that the digi-dash uses for speed.

The DigiDash, like the Koso, has it's own speed sensor. It doesn't use the VSS.

However, some people believe that an inconsistent idle, or stalling, is sometimes because the engine ECU is confused by the lack of a speed input. Thus, according to this line of thinking, connecting the VSS to the GM ECU would help with any idle issues.

I haven't done this yet, but I plan to hook up the VSS in my car, and adjust the ECU settings with something like HP tuners, so I can get an accurate road speed output from the engine ECU. This will be helpful later when I want to calculate average fuel economy inside the tablet apps which are getting data via BT from the OBD2 port.

Thanks Will. Much appreciated.
Do you have any thought on exhaust wrap. I'm concerned I'm going to have heat issues with these pipes.

My exhaust has a ceramic coating, from a recommendation of Allan. It looks good, and seems to really reduce heat. The mufflers (not the tubes themselves) are almost cool to the touch on a hot engine.

I have wrapped my coolant tubes with header wrap and think its a good idea.

However, I'm not sure about header wrap and exhaust pipes. I've seen wrapped headers get oil-soaked, then burst into flame. Then they are really hard to put out. Perhaps the later header wraps are better, somehow. But I chose not to wrap mine with traditional header wrap cloth.

Perhaps the metalized wrap that DEI sells would be better? I have some of this on my car and I think it is keeping the wires and shift cables in them cooler. But I can't prove it, of course.

So - on the reverse switch - I have two wires

1- goes to the fuse block in the engine bay (power)
2 - goes to a splitter - 1 end goes to reverse light
1 end goes into cabin?

So I assume that something is energized in the cabin when the reverse switch is selected - but I haven't been able to trace back the wire into the cockpit.

Would the digi-dash have some indication of reverse selected? I'm wondering if it uses it to select the gear?

The mystery continues.

Back